Topic: Christchurch Treehouse of Awesome-Where everyone knows your name

Codex

It's almost like, the bigger the company, the crappier their careers page is...

This is very accurate

Reply #21550 Posted: August 28, 2014, 02:21:30 pm

Offline Xenolightning

• GS Developer
  • Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!

This is very accurate
By this logic, the best career page is a non existent one?

Reply #21551 Posted: August 28, 2014, 04:57:23 pm
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!

This is very accurate

the best company is the biggest company?

Reply #21552 Posted: August 28, 2014, 04:59:12 pm
"We are the majority we arent the tards, the people we pick on are." -Luse_K

Codex

This is very accurate

the best company is the biggest company?

Ah yes touchetits young gentlesir

Reply #21553 Posted: August 28, 2014, 07:21:07 pm

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
http://www.mclaren.com/appliedtechnologies/careers/hybrid-technical-sales-engineer

"This is why you should buy a McLaren hybrid"

"Please note that we are only able to accept applications from candidates who can demonstrate their right to work in the UK."

I am kiwi, 6th or 7th generation, there hasn't been a UK citizen in my ancestor y for a long time. I don't have a right to work in the UK do I?
Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 07:47:06 pm by Bounty Hunter

Reply #21554 Posted: August 28, 2014, 07:40:48 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
I think working visa's are still open to you as an NZ citizen.

Reply #21555 Posted: August 28, 2014, 08:27:06 pm

Codex

Isn't it the same as the canadian visa deal where you have to be under 30

Reply #21556 Posted: August 29, 2014, 08:19:00 am

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
OpenGL max function only accepts 2 arguments, scalars x and y.

Directx max function accepts arrays and scalars.

OpenGL:

max(1,2) will return 2 because 2>1

max(9001, 4) will return 9001.

max(2,4,6,78,9,1234) will throw an error because max can only take 2 arguments.

Directx:

max(1,2) will return 2 because 2>1

max(9001, 4) will return 9001.

max(2,4,6,78,9,1234) will return 1234.

so if I have a huge list of values and I want to know what the largest value is in directx all I have to type is:

max(myList) myList may have a huge number of values, but it will work.

One of these functions is infinity more powerful than the other.
Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 01:25:06 pm by Bounty Hunter

Reply #21557 Posted: August 29, 2014, 01:20:50 pm

Codex

Probably a good example of why a lot of developers avoid opengl

Reply #21558 Posted: August 29, 2014, 01:31:31 pm

Offline Xsannz

• Addicted
  • Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!

this,  but then again this is why nvidia bough and purchased 3dfx, which once upon a time drove the entire OpenGL project and then again the went on to purchase ageia the founder of physX.

interestingly i still have a voodoo2 card by canopus and a rica 128 card that i used to feed it. as the voodoo2 car was a passthrough card.

and i still have an original ageia physX card too.

but back on topic OpenGL was set to kill off DirectX at one point and the engines supporting OpenGL where fantastic, however i suspect that OpenGL was pretty much left to limp along since then.

Reply #21559 Posted: August 29, 2014, 01:40:03 pm

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
valve <3 openGL

Reply #21560 Posted: August 29, 2014, 02:27:30 pm

Offline Xsannz

• Addicted
  • Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!
valve <3 openGL

and this is why we don't have a new half-life..   its because the array doesn't fit.

on the other side  Fecking Java, sql result set is garbage cleaned on closed connection unlike .net which gives you a nice container to be passed directly from your query jdbc connection.

no in java you have to either read it into an array and risk blown gout the jam memory if you had a big enough query or expose a memory leak.

or create all other functions inside the sql calling function so they can grab the data you need.
Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 02:38:27 pm by Xsannz

Reply #21561 Posted: August 29, 2014, 02:36:14 pm

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
While googling for the name of the game in the last post, I came across this:

http://www.idtech.com/teens/tech-camps/courses/fps-game-design-unreal-engine/

Fuck'n lol. Not sure why the fuck the place is named "ID Tech camps" if it's not about ID TECH. fucking morons, morons everywhere, ruining the world.

honestly try Warsow dude

I have. Not for long, but I have.
I played some of this new mod last night (mod because is quake, but different, thus is just mod).
It's better than no Quake I guess. *sigh*

Reply #21562 Posted: August 30, 2014, 06:18:09 am
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
http://www.mclaren.com/appliedtechnologies/careers/hybrid-technical-sales-engineer

"This is why you should buy a McLaren hybrid"

"Please note that we are only able to accept applications from candidates who can demonstrate their right to work in the UK."

I am kiwi, 6th or 7th generation, there hasn't been a UK citizen in my ancestor y for a long time. I don't have a right to work in the UK do I?

You do if you get a work visa.
But just like NZ, you have to have the job first ('sponsorship').

Isn't it the same as the canadian visa deal where you have to be under 30

under 31 at time of application - but that's only for a 2 year then fuckoff working holiday visa... err 'youth mobility'.
Rules are that after 2 years you MUST leave, and you must go back HOME before applying to get back in (ie, you have to re-apply from IN NZ). I mean, you could use it as a leg up, but it's not recommended. Especially if it's a permenant job - they might get jittery about hiring what basically amounts to a long term temp.

You could do what shits these xenophobic cunts the most and get an EU work visa, then just move to UK.

Reply #21563 Posted: August 30, 2014, 06:24:45 am

Offline Pyromanik

No, Microsoft smear campaigns is why.
DirectX was shit balls when people started picking it up. Now it's "industry standard"... load of bs.
Although it's much improved, it's still balls in some areas, but then so is OpenGL in others.
Point is, is that OpenGL isn't nearly as shit as people seem to think it is, they just sucked the other nipple for too long.

All Dx is doing is probably making a quicksort then popping the top value.
OpenGL is C based, closer to the metal, etc, etc. (at least, traditionally - these days cards implement both standards on metal afaik).
But point is that internally they do about the same thing, one just does it with less code.

Which admittedly is a big bonus for the coder.

this,  but then again this is why nvidia bough and purchased 3dfx, which once upon a time drove the entire OpenGL project and then again the went on to purchase ageia the founder of physX.

interestingly i still have a voodoo2 card by canopus and a rica 128 card that i used to feed it. as the voodoo2 car was a passthrough card.

but back on topic OpenGL was set to kill off DirectX at one point and the engines supporting OpenGL where fantastic, however i suspect that OpenGL was pretty much left to limp along since then.

Pretty much, although it's come back on track recently (thus my earlier post about version numbers being higher than I expected).
There are some really interesting writeups on the webs about the two techs, the 'wars' between them and the politics, etc, and then benchmarks and comparisons and stuff too... like how valve games work faster in opengl than they ever did in dx for the same shit (iirc, I read somewhere, dunno how true that remains).

The creators of Lugaru have best overview iirc.
Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 06:36:22 am by Pyromanik

Reply #21564 Posted: August 30, 2014, 06:29:44 am

Offline Xsannz

• Addicted

No, Microsoft smear campaigns is why.
DirectX was shit balls when people started picking it up. Now it's "industry standard"... load of bs.
Although it's much improved, it's still balls in some areas, but then so is OpenGL in others.
Point is, is that OpenGL isn't nearly as shit as people seem to think it is, they just sucked the other nipple for too long.

All Dx is doing is probably making a quicksort then popping the top value.
OpenGL is C based, closer to the metal, etc, etc. (at least, traditionally - these days cards implement both standards on metal afaik).
But point is that internally they do about the same thing, one just does it with less code.

Which admittedly is a big bonus for the coder.

Pretty much, although it's come back on track recently (thus my earlier post about version numbers being higher than I expected).
There are some really interesting writeups on the webs about the two techs, the 'wars' between them and the politics, etc, and then benchmarks and comparisons and stuff too... like how valve games work faster in opengl than they ever did in dx for the same shit (iirc, I read somewhere, dunno how true that remains).

The creators of Lugaru have best overview iirc.

Reason Valve chose OpenGL is because it is an integral part of Unix_flavoured UI's..  etc etc.

and valve have done a lot of work recently to try and push for performance gains and use of OpenGL so that their Linux support is better for their back catalogue.

that and valve always did have an eye at long term goals, and frankly a microsoft dictated API such as DX would never make me comfortable as a longshot, god MA can't even document how indexing works in outlook once you move an email, god danm had to use a goto statement to exit and substantiate my loop because of buggy undocumented MS features.

and even take .net versions they broke so many networking based programmed between ver3 and 4  by chaining the entire networking functionality api.

I myself work at a C, C++ level, although been doing JS and Rhino lately for work, and some high level .net stuff but as a C lover i can see the bonus of OpenGL, and if i were doing game or graphics engine work it would be in GL

Reply #21565 Posted: August 30, 2014, 07:08:59 am

Offline Pyromanik

Umm...

The reason Valve CONVERTED to OpenGL is because DX is a Microsoft solution and ONLY works on windows (and xbox).
I'm sure that's what you meant, but it wasn't very clear.

Also, FUCK LOGITECH
FUCK LOGITECH
FUCK THEM
FUCK
FUCK
FUCK

SO MAD

Install gaming software. Load mouse profile, OH SWEET ALL MY SETTINGS! WICKED

Adjust something by accident "oh fuck, where is undo... how to re-restore from onboard profile?
hmm "reset default"
NO THAT WIPES EVERYTHING

WHERE THE FUCK IS THE UNDO YOU CUNTS
WHERE
WHERE
WHERE
FUCK YOU
FUCK YOU
FUCK YOU
FUCK YOU
FUCK YOU

FUCK.

Ultimate mad. Can't remember what all my dpi presets were.
Or the fucking report rate.

Surely the sensible UI thing to do would to be to take an automatic backup that can be restored on the event of NOT SAVING THE CHANGES.

I blame Google Chrome for this fucktarded retardery.
I WANT TO CLICK A FUCKING SAVE BUTTON TO KEEP THE CHANGES YOU WANKERS
OTHERWISE DISCARD EVERYTHING I JUST DID, I WAS FIDDLING AND TESTING

HOW IS THIS SUCH A FUCKING HARD CONCEPT, IT WORKED PERFECTLY WELL FOR 30+ YEARS BEFORE YOU CAME ALONG AND WANKED ON ABOUT 'UX' FOR 5 YEARS AND FUCKED EVERYONES BRAINS.

Pretty sure that my every day usage was 700, but now that seems waaaay too fucking slow. FUCK, YOU CUNTS.

This is probably some of the most poorly made software I've come across in recent years.
I'm surprised. I expected better. I'm not sure why... but I did.

Worst part is that I might have a backup profile somewhere in NZ, on a computer in a storage room.
Unlikely, but possible.

Mouse moves faster with lower polling rate. Not sure if interpolated or just fucked in the head.
Says 'reports per second'. Wondering if the fucking morons actually mean 'milliseconds per report'.
Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 10:10:26 am by Pyromanik

Reply #21566 Posted: August 30, 2014, 09:42:33 am

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted

You do if you get a work visa.
But just like NZ, you have to have the job first ('sponsorship').

under 31 at time of application - but that's only for a 2 year then fuckoff working holiday visa... err 'youth mobility'.
Rules are that after 2 years you MUST leave, and you must go back HOME before applying to get back in (ie, you have to re-apply from IN NZ). I mean, you could use it as a leg up, but it's not recommended. Especially if it's a permenant job - they might get jittery about hiring what basically amounts to a long term temp.

You could do what shits these xenophobic cunts the most and get an EU work visa, then just move to UK.

So the steps are:

• Apply for job
  • Show job people that I can get enough points if offered a job
  • Be offered job
  • Apply for "Tier 2 General (more than 3 years) - shortage occupation"
  • Get visa (for 3 years?)
  • Sign contract
  • Move to UK

Questions:
Do I apply for tier 2? electronics engineers in the automotive industry is on their list of shortages. Also McLaren are an A-Rated sponsor so providing they pay me more than 23,800 pounds everything should work out. I wouldn't move to the UK for less than 25 or 30k, I haven't worked out the exact details of tax, student loan, visa etc yet

Reply #21567 Posted: August 30, 2014, 01:20:58 pm

Offline Pyromanik

Yeh pretty much.

I have Tier 5, I'm outta this shithole in a year and a half.
Downsides: It's pretty much just like home but with 1000% more bureaucracy, 700% of which is incompetency, 500% of innefficiency, 200% of just retardery - and taxes coming out everyone's arseholes.
People whinge about everything and get nothing done (including their own jobs).
Upsides: Fuckloads closer to the rest of the places that are cool to visit.

Most folks are nice enough, but it's... I dunno, hard to explain. It feels insincere. Like being polite because thems the rules sorta thing.
That said most folk are actually ok once you get to know them a bit.

But to get anything important done is a fucking mission. Took me 4 months to open a bank account.

So while in NZ, you'd find out what you need to do (ie, your list of steps) then you go and do it... Not so much here. They love the fuck out of exception logic. A coder/process engineer's worst nightmare.
So can't really say. Best to talk to someone about it. There's an outpost in CHC, although he might just collect fingerprints (visas these days), idk.

tl/dr: fun but frustrating.
Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 11:27:16 pm by Pyromanik

Reply #21568 Posted: August 30, 2014, 11:17:48 pm

Offline Pyromanik

<massive rant about logitech making shit software>

I've been messing about with my mouse for almost a whole day now trying to set it back up, and it still doesn't feel right.
FUCK.

Reply #21569 Posted: August 30, 2014, 11:29:23 pm

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted

I've been messing about with my mouse for almost a whole day now trying to set it back up, and it still doesn't feel right.
FUCK.

I've never cared for how my mice "feel" is there something I'm missing?

Reply #21570 Posted: August 31, 2014, 01:22:12 pm

Codex

I've ditched my g510 for this:
Das 4 Ultimate

it's so awesome to use, so clean looking too.

Reply #21571 Posted: August 31, 2014, 05:51:00 pm

Offline Pyromanik

FUCK.

I've never cared for how my mice "feel" is there something I'm missing?

Talking about cursor speed, etc.

Reply #21572 Posted: September 01, 2014, 05:11:54 am

Offline Xsannz

• Addicted
i will leave this here

NSFW

EDIT: SPOILERED because human notion to click link...
Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 12:54:00 pm by Xsannz

Reply #21573 Posted: September 01, 2014, 10:19:34 am

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
I heard the guy who hacked Cameron Slater's computer also found nude pictures.

He then gouged out his eyes.

Reply #21574 Posted: September 01, 2014, 10:36:15 am