Topic: Megaupload shitdown

Offline 5loth

• Addicted
  • 5loth has no influence.
Quote from: The Demon Lord;1463587
Because anecdotal evidence is really Really reliable when dealing with legal matters and making decisions that have a Global effect...

Their decision is fine - they don't want to distribute their creation freely. Thats great, but there is a difference between free distribution and copying on the internet. Not to mention the Irony that the industries that are pushing for these changes got Rich by blatantly and intentionally breaking Copyright/Patent laws. There is also a fair amount of evidence to backup the assertation that a looser approach to copyright enforcement promotes creativity which ultimately benefits the Industry by driving more revenue.

As for your friend - by your logic then, if we cancel each other out then the companies wouldn't be experiancing the lose in revenue that they keep touting (despite the huge profits that they consistantly post year after year....)

I'm not dealing with legal matters personally, I was stating my experiences. Is that not allowed these days?

In regards to 'cancelling each other out', perhaps you should read the last sentence of my post.

Reply #50 Posted: January 23, 2012, 05:38:49 pm
sila.

Offline Bell

• Addicted
  • Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.
I've brought 1 album for myself in 10 years so I cancel the hell out of anything Demon has done.

Reply #51 Posted: January 23, 2012, 06:39:25 pm

Offline pablo d

• Just settled in
  • pablo d has no influence.
Piracy isn't even the issue here, it's what responsibilities and accountabilities interwebble sites have which host user-generated or user-uploaded content. If MU gets toasted then watch half the cloud close its doors.

Reply #52 Posted: January 23, 2012, 06:44:57 pm

Offline kilabee

• Addicted
  • kilabee might someday be someone...kilabee might someday be someone...kilabee might someday be someone...kilabee might someday be someone...
Wouldn't it be great if the studio's concentrated on future proofing digital distribution of their products instead of trying to pass laws that try to hold onto their traditional revenue streams. Those ways of making money are almost gone. They need embrace the easier forms of distribution at a far lower cost with a more global focus.
Easily typed...probably not easily done.

Reply #53 Posted: January 23, 2012, 07:01:04 pm

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

• Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: pablo d;1463614
Piracy isn't even the issue here, it's what responsibilities and accountabilities interwebble sites have which host user-generated or user-uploaded content. If MU gets toasted then watch half the cloud close its doors.

How is it not the issue?

If MU wasn't ripping off peoples' stuff, no one would care about them.

Reply #54 Posted: January 23, 2012, 07:27:54 pm

Offline 5loth

• Addicted
  • 5loth has no influence.
Quote from: Zarkov;1463625
How is it not the issue?

no more than youtube does.

Reply #55 Posted: January 23, 2012, 07:59:32 pm
sila.

Offline pablo d

• Just settled in
Quote from: Zarkov;1463625
How is it not the issue?

MU didn't rip shit off, its users did. MU's problem is that they profited off it. The feds need to prove they "wilfully"profited from copyright infringement to have a case.

Reply #56 Posted: January 23, 2012, 08:14:56 pm

Offline Spigalau

• Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.
Quote from: pablo d;1463633
MU didn't rip shit off, its users did. MU's problem is that they profited off it. The feds need to prove they "wilfully"profited from copyright infringement to have a case.

Read the court documents, it's very clear from the internal correspondence they knew what was going on and where content was - even after it was 'taken down'. MU paid for people to upload content to thier servers, once that content was there, they did sweet FA to remove it or keep it above board.

Reply #57 Posted: January 23, 2012, 08:31:47 pm
49 20 63 61 6e 20 72 65 6d 65 6d 62 65 72 20 77 68 65 6e 20 74 68 65 20 61 69 72 20 77 61 73 20 63 6c 65 61 6e 20 61 6e 64 20 73 65 78 20 77 61 73 20 64 69 72 74 79 2e

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

• Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: pablo d;1463633

If you steal something and I let you put it in my garage, I'm playing some part in the crime surely?

Reply #58 Posted: January 23, 2012, 09:41:07 pm

Offline pablo d

• Just settled in
Quote from: Spigalau;1463635
Read the court documents, it's very clear from the internal correspondence they knew what was going on and where content was - even after it was 'taken down'. MU paid for people to upload content to thier servers, once that content was there, they did sweet FA to remove it or keep it above board.

I know, but they're going to have to be hammered on specific infringements - there's no absolutely clear breach of a specific copyright law otherwise they would have been hung out to dry years ago. Hell, they're getting targetted for money laundering :S

Quote from: Zarkov;1463642
If you steal something and I let you put it in my garage, I'm playing some part in the crime surely?

Under our Crimes Act, yes. Under the US's fucked up copyright laws, not necessarily. Again, "piracy" is not the crux of this issue (just an interesting subset of the issue maybe).

Reply #59 Posted: January 23, 2012, 10:05:06 pm

Offline pyro

• Addicted
  • pyro has no influence.
Why are people jumping up and down about filesharing sites like MU and piracy, when these same people use Youtube, facebook etc which have millions of copyrighted files. Is it because these sites are mainstream so its deemed acceptable to use. Whats the difference other than watching content as opposed to downloading it to your pc then watching it. Lots of hypocrites out there.

Reply #60 Posted: January 23, 2012, 11:45:18 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
  • Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.
Please link me to the full dark night movie on youtube

Reply #61 Posted: January 24, 2012, 08:29:06 am

Offline pablo d

• Just settled in
^He's right, there's no content on YouTube which infringes copyright. Zoiks :S

Reply #62 Posted: January 24, 2012, 08:41:40 am

Offline private_hell

• Addicted
  • private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.
Quote from: Bell;1463671

there is the full addams family values movie if you would prefer

Reply #63 Posted: January 24, 2012, 09:27:06 am
"Let him who desires peace prepare for war" - Flavius Vegetius Renatus (375AD) De Rei Militari

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!

Singham!

Reply #64 Posted: January 24, 2012, 09:40:58 am
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline pyro

• Addicted
  • pyro has no influence.

Quote from: pablo d;1463673
^He's right, there's no content on YouTube which infringes copyright. Zoiks :S

So because there isnt the selection found on filesharing sites that means there is nothing?

Didn't realize only top Hollywood movies counted as piracy. Guess all the TV shows, docos, music etc dont count............

Reply #65 Posted: January 24, 2012, 10:30:00 am

Offline pablo d

• Just settled in
pretty sure i was being sarcastic o_O

Reply #66 Posted: January 24, 2012, 10:35:28 am

Offline Bell

• Addicted
Quote from: pyro;1463692
So because there isnt the selection found on filesharing sites that means there is nothing?

Didn't realize only top Hollywood movies counted as piracy. Guess all the TV shows, docos, music etc dont count............

I guess the difference is there will be multiple links to the dark night on sites like megaupload right now but there are none on youtube even though youtube is like 1000 times more popular.
Why is that i wonder?
Could it be that one company doesn't actually want pirated material on its site and puts systems in-place to identify and stamp it out and the other only pretends it gives a shit because at the end of the day the entire business depends on piracy?

You guys really  don't give a shit about the legal wording anyway and your faux concern for youtube doesn't wash.
Aslong as you get to pirate you don't really care, if it was impossible to load pirated material to youtube and other popular sites you would just move on to your next excuse that the price is too high for you.

And then if they dropped the price you would say the DRM is too hard to deal with and its easier to download it pirated anyways.
And then if they removed DRM you would say you didn't know if you would like the movie/show that much so you don't need to pay for it because just by watching it, it increases the chances of you paying for it later.

But then you don't pay for it later instead you share it with your friends.
But that's ok because they don't need your money anyways because TV producers are rich assholes so you feel pretty good about yourself.
Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 11:24:15 am by Bell

Reply #67 Posted: January 24, 2012, 10:44:35 am

Offline krasher

• Addicted
  • krasher has no influence.
I do think that if it was made easy to access good quality content at reasonable prices there would be less pirates.

Instead of screwing down the hatches to make it harder to pirate they should make it easier to buy. When it's actually much easier to pirate than it is to buy..something is wrong.

Reply #68 Posted: January 24, 2012, 11:26:57 am
=]IRBS[=

i5 2500k|GTX560ti|GA-Z68X-UD3|8Gig DDR3 1600|24" LG 19x12|650W Corsair|64GB SSD Cache WD640

Offline Bell

• Addicted
I don't disagree with the first sentence, but the 2 ideas aren't mutually exclusive.
The problem with internet content delivery is due to distribution contracts and rights, Amazon has a great service with its kindle library but it can still be really fucking annoying due to them not having the distribution rights in AUS/NZ for some books.

It will take time to sort out but even then I believe piracy will still be rampant if things on the file-sharing side stay the same.

Reply #69 Posted: January 24, 2012, 11:44:08 am

Offline pablo d

• Just settled in
Apparently, defend megaupload and you're a pirate 8|

Reply #70 Posted: January 24, 2012, 12:08:46 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
Quote from: pablo d;1463719
Apparently, defend megaupload and you're a pirate 8|

You're not?

Reply #71 Posted: January 24, 2012, 12:24:35 pm

Offline krasher

• Addicted
  • krasher has no influence.
Yeah, Kindle is awesome. I use it and love it. Great price. Easy. Shame you can't share your books but price is pretty good so no big deal. Pity buying MP3's or movies isn't like that.

Reply #72 Posted: January 24, 2012, 12:45:14 pm
=]IRBS[=

i5 2500k|GTX560ti|GA-Z68X-UD3|8Gig DDR3 1600|24" LG 19x12|650W Corsair|64GB SSD Cache WD640

Offline pablo d

• Just settled in
Quote from: Bell;1463722
You're not?

Depends how you define pirate. I don't download pirated material and I've never used megaupload or anything like it. But I have used/listened to/watched/read copyrighted material that I wasn't licensed to. Have you?

Quote from: krasher;1463728
Shame you can't share your books but price is pretty good so no big deal.

Son, someday you will inherit this kingdom from me. Look to the horizon, everything the sun touches will become yours. Except my eBooks. You're not licensed to read them.

Reply #73 Posted: January 24, 2012, 01:01:40 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
Sure have from this thread...

Quote from: Bell;1463590
I've pirated afew tv shows when the box set is already out, because it's free and i'm lazy and couldn't be bothered going to the store.
Like %99 of people who pirate, I don't have some 17 point reason as to why my piracy is ok.

Yet that doesn't mean its right or i'm gonna defend it.

Reply #74 Posted: January 24, 2012, 01:04:24 pm