Topic: Solomon Islanders and Dolphins

Offline 5loth

• Addicted
  • 5loth has no influence.
Intelligence (in relation to human intelligence) is the determining factor in whether its OK to eat an animal?

Reply #50 Posted: February 01, 2013, 07:46:17 pm
sila.

Offline Bell

• Addicted
  • Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.
Well either that or cuteness, you draw an arbitary line in the sand based on whatever critiea is best for you and then condemn loudly all of those who kill animals above it.
My lines are delicousness and level of supply.

Personally I think this could all be solved  by breeding mentally retarded dolphins.

Also
4th form science taking samples of crabs at portobello.
They made me fucking do that and I grew up in Invercargill, we went on a fucking bus for 2-3 hours just for those stupid crabs.
Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 08:24:30 pm by Bell

Reply #51 Posted: February 01, 2013, 08:09:25 pm

Offline Tandoori

• Addicted
  • Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.
I doubt the environmental impact from these people killing dolphins holds a candle to what we probably consume or utilise before breakfast.

Yes, things are qualitatively different but when the cause is a short-term-focus, and a massive societies all looking to expand their economy off the back of fossil fuels with little or no regard to water, air and every other natural resource what's the difference?

Certain practices across the world are simply unsustainable at current levels; TDL's right these people probably could continue this practice if other things were scaled back. But there's a real danger of them causing irreversible environmental damage if they don't take notice of what's going on around them. It could have titanic implications for them in the future - they may not ever again have the opportunity to retain those cultural  if dolphins are over-fished. But at the same time, we have no moral basis for judging their cultural practices. If you feel uncomfortable, or if you feel enraged, or if you feel saddened by what the Solomon Islanders are doing - you ought to think about what you're doing about your own levels of consumption here at home.

Of course collective-action is going to be necessary in this challenge, but the individual is champion in 'Western' worlds - so if you're going to enjoy all the luxuries of your expansive 1st world democratic freedom, and all the choice that comes with it; you can't deny your ability to re-shape your own lifestyle.

Lead by example.

/self-indulgent rant.

edit: I'm not saying something shouldn't be 'done' about what's going on here, but I'm sure the best people to sort it out will be the Solomon Islanders themselves - I just don't think the nastier sentiment expressed in some posts (deserving oxygen or not etc) is valid at all, not necessarily because of the snarkiness, but because it doesn't stand to reason considering our own practices.

Quote from: Spacemonkey;1516577
Most Cows seem to have a pretty good life.

At least here in NZ.

Untill they are eaten.

I'm not a farmer, but I'm guessing that there's more dairy cows in New Zealand than beef cows. I don't know if you could say dairy cows have a good life.
Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 08:39:34 pm by Tandoori

Reply #52 Posted: February 01, 2013, 08:26:51 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
  • Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.
Quote from: Super_Hori;1516636
edit: I'm not saying something shouldn't be 'done' about what's going on here, but I'm sure the best people to sort it out will be the Solomon Islanders themselves - I just don't think the nastier sentiment expressed in some posts (deserving oxygen or not etc) is valid at all, not necessarily because of the snarkiness, but because it doesn't stand to reason considering our own practices.

Well put

Reply #53 Posted: February 01, 2013, 08:42:53 pm

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Bell;1516632
No pigs aren't as smart as dolphins but they are smarter than cats and about the same as dogs.
So wheres the line?

dolphins, whales, chimpanzees, and other primates where possible.

and octopus, but that's blatantly because they're just cool.

This is sounding a lot like a get high conversation.

"dude....dude....what's the most intelligent animal that you would eat?'

Hori Rant

Dairy cows get a better life than a beef cow, cause beef cows get killed for meat?

I agree with hori, except the solomon islanders cant sort it out for themselves, they honestly don't have the education for it. The fact that religion is still so rife there alone suggests they're still living in the mid 17th century.

Quote from: 5loth;1516633
Intelligence (in relation to human intelligence) is the determining factor in whether its OK to eat an animal?

Not eat, kill.

Why is it not ok to kill a human? cause it's a sentient being.

While I realise dolphins aren't by definition sentient, there is strong evidence to show they are.

Quote from: Bell;1516634

Personally I think this could all be solved  by breeding mentally retarded dolphins.

Or just a sea farm?

Reply #54 Posted: February 01, 2013, 09:07:53 pm
"We are the majority we arent the tards, the people we pick on are." -Luse_K

Offline Tandoori

• Addicted
  • Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.
Those people have been living on the Solomons for a very long time, I place a great deal of faith in their ability to determine the best course of action in location they have an intimate knowledge of.

Of course there's benefits to be had by trading information and scientific research with them, which will help inform both the world view and their own.

But if you're calling for intervention - where from? who has the mandate to do that? The UN might be a good model, but it requires buy-in from each state - you can't effective police the world without an equal approach. Certainly not NZ; particularly when you also mention opposition to Gareth Morgan's campaign (for it's faults, he's brought an important issue to the fore - one we have otherwise wanted to avoid).

Don't think species' extinction isn't a problem in this country? Yeah right.
Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 09:26:29 pm by Tandoori

Reply #55 Posted: February 01, 2013, 09:23:01 pm

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Bell;1516632
No pigs aren't as smart as dolphins but they are smarter than cats and about the same as dogs.
So wheres the line?

Cats and Dogs are impractical to farm, because they're carnivorous, you'd have to farm other animals just to feed them in order to eat them, which is a bit pointless.

Pigs don't need to eat meat, so they are more efficent to farm.

Plus the taste super good.

Reply #56 Posted: February 01, 2013, 09:29:06 pm

Offline 5loth

• Addicted
  • 5loth has no influence.
Quote from: Spacemonkey;1516640
Cats and Dogs are impractical to farm, because they're carnivorous, you'd have to farm other animals just to feed them in order to eat them, which is a bit pointless.

If I start farming dogs in NZ so I can eat them, regardless of the practicality, I'm sure New Zealanders will be be perfectly OK with that and won't start foaming at the mouth at all. Afterwards they'll wank on about how amazing bacon is.

Reply #57 Posted: February 01, 2013, 09:43:30 pm
sila.

Offline Equity

• Addicted
  • Equity has no influence.
Those videos were pretty cool hopefully someone else watched them :P

Are you a vegetarian 5loth? I enjoy my meat too much to really care about the animals themselves. It comes neatly packaged at the super so I dont need to think about the animal. However, I still easily make jugemental calls about peoples treatment of other animals, and people that eat animals that I think they shouldnt. I dont really care about most, its just the cute or endangered ones that get my going. I trust that there are laws / bodies to ensure the animals that I eat were treated alright before I ate them. I give $20 a year to green peace, and $50 to Sea Sheperd and sleep easy :)

I do think people are going to create to much of a strain on the natural world soon, theres just too many of us!

Reply #58 Posted: February 01, 2013, 10:11:30 pm
"think c2w might be a little to hard core for my skills atm anyways"-Splatter

Offline Equity

• Addicted
  • Equity has no influence.
Quote from: Bounty Hunter;1516638
The fact that religion is still so rife there alone suggests they're still living in the mid 17th century.

I dont know if serious...thats the worst call ever...

Reply #59 Posted: February 01, 2013, 10:13:45 pm
"think c2w might be a little to hard core for my skills atm anyways"-Splatter

Offline BerG

• Terminator

• BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.
I don't know if you could say dairy cows have a good life.

dafaq?

Get fed as much as possible so as to produce more milk. At least 2 months holiday per year (more than most humans). Sure they work 7 days a week, but only approx 4 hours a day. Spend the rest of the day eating and sleeping, without having to worry about predators or finding food. And sure, their babies are taken from them at birth, but after an hour they hardly care. After a week they have completely forgotten.

Dairy cows in NZ have a fucking exceptional life. God damn townies.

Reply #60 Posted: February 01, 2013, 10:35:00 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
Quote from: Equity;1516645
I enjoy my meat too much to really care about the animals themselves. It comes neatly packaged at the super so I dont need to think about the animal. However, I still easily make jugemental calls about peoples treatment of other animals, and people that eat animals that I think they shouldnt. I dont really care about most, its just the cute or endangered ones that get my going.

And there we have it, If I unfairly paraphrase this a little we can get the general NZ opinion on animal welfare.

Quote from: NZers
I enjoy meat too much to care about animals and I don't have to think about it due to how nicely the meat is packed.
However when I see a cute animal or an animal I like getting killed I get very angry and call people savages like that fucking Paea Taufa guy

Also Sea Shepard can get fucked.

Dogs are apparently quite tasty, is your stance you should only eat farmed animals?
I believe they sort of farm dogs in South Korea.

Or just a sea farm?

But then you are still killing animals that are above Bounty Hunters smart-enough-to-not-be-eaten threshold so we have to make them stupid using genetic modification and then setup a sea farm.
Then we are sweet.
Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 11:03:56 pm by Bell

Reply #61 Posted: February 01, 2013, 10:47:31 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted

Dogs are apparently quite tasty, is your stance you should only eat farmed animals?
I believe they sort of factory farm dogs in South Korea.

Reply #62 Posted: February 01, 2013, 10:54:01 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
Or just a sea farm?

But then you are still killing animals that are above Bounty Hunters smart-enough-to-not-be-eaten threshold so we have to make them stupid using genetic modification and then setup a sea farm.
Then we are sweet.

Reply #63 Posted: February 01, 2013, 10:57:14 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Cats and Dogs are impractical to farm, because they're carnivorous

Not exactly correct here. Dogs are not carnivorous.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawaiian_Poi_Dog
Quote from: Wikipedia
The Hawaiian Poi Dog or ʻīlio (ʻīlio mākuʻe for brown individuals) is an extinct breed of pariah dog from Hawaiʻi which was used by Native Hawaiians as a spiritual protector of children and as a source of food.

It is still legal to eat your own dog in Hawai'i
http://legaltoeatdogsinhawaii.blogspot.co.nz/
Quote from: Bell;1516648
I believe they sort of farm dogs in South Korea.

Dog is one of the few meats I have not eaten yet.

Reply #64 Posted: February 01, 2013, 11:11:23 pm
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline Chilli

• Addicted
  • Chilli has no influence.
Its the Japanese. See either way you look at it theyre smart. Why go out and spend millions on big ships and crew to get whales and dolpins only to be chased around the sea by a bunch of hyped up nappie headed greenpeace hippies when they could simply flick the islanders a fraction of that cost and get THEM to do the dirty bit.

Reply #65 Posted: February 02, 2013, 07:16:51 am
♣ Free Tampons ♣

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!

They sure do

Reply #66 Posted: February 02, 2013, 03:55:10 pm

Offline Emrico1

• Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!
I only eat 'Tuna safe' Dolphin. I'm a good guy like that.

Someone has to stand up for the beautiful Tunas.

Reply #67 Posted: February 02, 2013, 04:30:33 pm

Offline Chilli

• Addicted
  • Chilli has no influence.
Quote from: Emrico1;1516704
I only eat 'Tuna safe' Dolphin. I'm a good guy like that.

Someone has to stand up for the beautiful Tunas.

Reply #68 Posted: February 02, 2013, 10:27:36 pm
♣ Free Tampons ♣

Offline Tiwaking!

Quote from: Equity;1516592
Dolphins are pretty smart, cows arent and taste good...

Kelly says the group was just settling in to view the magnificent giant Mantas when they saw a Bottlenose dolphin swimming toward them.

Your random fact of the day
Catalepsean Node - The Catalepsean Node is the 6th of the 19 gene-seed organs that are implanted into a Space Marine Neophyte to produce a new Astartes. This organ is implanted into the back of the cerebrum, just above the brain stem. When deprived of sleep for a long period of time, the Catalepsean Node "cuts in" upon detecting a rise in the Astartes' stress and fatigue hormones. This allows the Astartes to consciously "switch off" sections of the brain sequentially, while remaining awake and alert. This ability comes at a price, as prolonged use of this ability can be hazardous, possibly inducing hallucinations or even psychosis. This implant bears a resemblance to an ancient scientific theory as to how cetaceans known as "Bottlenose Dolphins" "sleep": shutting off sections of their brain while remaining awake and alert through the active use of the other sections. Yet even the mighty Space Marines cannot go too long without actual rest. The longest any Space Marine has ever been on active combat duty without rest is 328 hours, achieved by a squad of the Crimson Fists' Kill-team during the battle against the Orks for Rynn's World.

Reply #69 Posted: February 06, 2013, 02:09:17 am

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
  • The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Tiwaking!;1517016
Your random fact of the day

FOR THE EMPEROR!!!!!

Reply #70 Posted: February 06, 2013, 08:52:22 am

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!

Reply #71 Posted: February 06, 2013, 02:53:27 pm
"We are the majority we arent the tards, the people we pick on are." -Luse_K

Offline mycoolcar

• Addicted
  • mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...
TBH I thought the same thing.

Reply #72 Posted: February 06, 2013, 03:17:36 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
Because you are sick people.

Reply #73 Posted: February 06, 2013, 09:25:26 pm

Offline Black Heart

• Addicted
  • Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.
I bet dophins rode in on the tsunami and headbutted those islanders to death.

Reply #74 Posted: February 07, 2013, 08:24:20 am