Topic: SimProse Studios - Voyager Review

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
DO NOT BUY THIS GAME
Recently I played the demo for a seemingly fun adventure, exploration, card game called Voyager by SimProse Studios:
http://simprosestudios.com/?q=voyager
The game consists of Three Parts:

Adventure Screen

This is where you choose the next location you want to travel to. You may have an encounter, which is a card battle, or an event such as a quest/bane/boon, or you may be challenged to a Wizard game.

Hand Screen:

This is where you see what cards you have in your hand

Card Battle Screen:

This is where, if you have an encounter in a land, you play a very simple card game where you compare battle strengths to see if you win or lose. If you lose then you lose an amount of health equal to the difference.

Your Wizard
Your wizard has three stats:
Essence = Health/Hit Points. You lose these from encounters, certain lands, and losing Encounters (Card Battles)
Karma = Mana. To play cards from your hand you pay the cost in Karma. Karma seldom runs out in this game though
Gold = Score. The object of the game is to reach the tenth realm and get as much gold as possible without DYING

You begin the game with 5 cards in your hand (max:6) and you choose one land to travel to first. You continue choosing the next land until you either die or you reach the realm 10 where you face the boss monster in a card battle

What is wrong with this game

The game is, essentially, gambling. If you play the demo you will notice that everything is random. Random can be fun. Nethack, Faster Than Light, and all the Roguelike games prove that.

The problem is that the object of the game is to SURVIVE WITH AS MUCH GOLD AS POSSIBLE. This may sound easy, but when instant death is a random event, all sense of skill or flow or point to the game goes out the window.

Also the only real way to get proper money is to win Wizard games. Wizard games maximum monetary rewards are 4000 - 6000 gold. Normal events average 400 gold. And wizard games are random games of chance with a random chance of being encountered

Summary
If you are at all interested in video game development, you should definitely give the demo a try. This game is an excellent example of how stupidly addictive video games with gambling elements can be.

You can buy the game for USD$4.95, which I did because I thought the full version would be deeper than the demo version. I was wrong.

What is worse is when you reach the final boss and you do not have cards you have to sit through the tedium of losing a children's card game. What is even worse is that you HAVE to win the final boss fight. You cannot draw or lose otherwise you die.

With just a little more polish, this would be a really good game. The game keeps a text journal of your adventure, but a simple interactive map connecting your start location to your later locations would have made this game amazing. Even if the map never changed, it would at least give some sense of exploration, adventure, and accomplishment.

However, all you get is this:

note: Derek appears to be the example player but by my calculations his score falls into the 95% bracket. I am not kidding. Once you get to 7000+ gold the game will instantly kill you.

Posted: July 09, 2014, 09:40:08 pm
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.
I won't buy this game.

Reply #1 Posted: July 18, 2014, 08:36:02 pm

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!

Reply #2 Posted: July 19, 2014, 12:45:21 am
"We are the majority we arent the tards, the people we pick on are." -Luse_K

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
  • Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!
Dodged a real bullet here, Thanks Tiwa :)

Wait, Seriously, they're charging 5$ for that?

Reply #3 Posted: July 19, 2014, 06:42:13 am
Top Geary - 27th May 2016 at 12:10 AM
I've learnt to ignore when you say derogatory things to me

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Dodged a real bullet here, Thanks Tiwa :)

Wait, Seriously, they're charging 5$ for that?
Yes. Which is NZD$5.85

I cant believe how bad the American Dollar is doing right now.

The game would be worth it IF you could continue playing until you died.

Reply #4 Posted: July 19, 2014, 01:51:59 pm

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!

People play World of Warcraft until they die.

Reply #5 Posted: July 19, 2014, 03:32:49 pm

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!

Survival of the fittest.

Reply #6 Posted: July 19, 2014, 08:45:23 pm
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
  • Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!

You think so?

I get the whole "graphics != quality", with great games such as dwarf fortress and many indie titles having a nice story line / game play while being 8bit.

...but I kind of expect a game that doesn't look like it was made on visual basic 3, in 2011+3

Although at the end of the day, if you're happy, who cares what you spend your money on. ...except your partner.

Reply #7 Posted: July 19, 2014, 09:24:57 pm
Top Geary - 27th May 2016 at 12:10 AM
I've learnt to ignore when you say derogatory things to me

Offline Tiwaking!

Survival of the fittest.

You think so?

I get the whole "graphics != quality", with great games such as dwarf fortress and many indie titles having a nice story line / game play while being 8bit.

...but I kind of expect a game that doesn't look like it was made on visual basic 3, in 2011+3

Although at the end of the day, if you're happy, who cares what you spend your money on. ...except your partner.
You're asking a lot for a game that is $5. You could argue that Steam charges less for better qualities games and you would be right. But then you have the hassle of a Steam account. But this game was made by one dude and is somewhat compelling.

Very compelling if you are predisposed to gambling

OH! Here is a game I would pay $5 for (but do not have to):
Breaking the Tower by Markus Persson
https://mojang.com/notch/ld12/breaking/
Some guy managed to beat it in 1 hour 18 minutes. I've yet to beat it in under 1 hour 30 minutes

Here is an example of an independently made game I would pay $5 for:
Age Of Conquest 3
http://www.ageofconquest.com/
The demo is easy and fun.
Unfortunately they are charging USD$19.99 for it which would be worth it if you could get a consistent multiplayer game going. This is not appealing to misanthropes
Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 10:01:08 pm by Tiwaking!

Reply #8 Posted: July 19, 2014, 09:58:47 pm