Topic: Router Recommendations

Offline toofast

• Addicted
  • toofast barely matters.toofast barely matters.
Hey all,
Looking to buy a new router because my old one is going a bit shit. Just after one with built in adsl2+ modem, 4port+, wifi b/g/n and a fairly usable router page. By usable router page, i mean something which lets me see basic diagnostics, attached devices, firewall rules etc.

My previous router was a netgear, so i am leaning towards them because it served me well in the past. But let me know if there are any good recommendations.

Price range I am not sure about, but looking around I am guessing 100-200 seems to be the range you need to pay.

Posted: January 03, 2013, 12:50:10 pm

Offline BeNZene

• Forum Admin
  • BeNZene might someday be someone...BeNZene might someday be someone...BeNZene might someday be someone...BeNZene might someday be someone...
Have been using one of these TPlink ones for ages, has been cheap and reliable.

http://www.playtech.co.nz/afawcs0139235/CATID=78/ID=13502/SID=550902604/productdetails.html

Reply #1 Posted: January 03, 2013, 03:04:34 pm

Offline mattnz

• mattnz is working their way up.mattnz is working their way up.mattnz is working their way up.
Pshh, no gigabit, also single-band. I've seen better.

Reply #2 Posted: January 03, 2013, 03:09:08 pm
Now that you have read this, plz give me neg rep :>

Codex

If you want something packed with features you're better off getting a proper router instead of an adsl router, keeping an adsl router for the adsl part, then on the new router loading openwrt or something like that on to it.

Reply #3 Posted: January 03, 2013, 03:49:54 pm

Offline .osiRiS

• Administrator
  • .osiRiS is a rising star!.osiRiS is a rising star!.osiRiS is a rising star!.osiRiS is a rising star!.osiRiS is a rising star!.osiRiS is a rising star!
Quote from: mattnz;1513417
Pshh, no gigabit, also single-band. I've seen better.

Yet you offer no decent suggestions. :\

Shock horror another mattnz post full of nothing...

I can vouch for the TP link as a decent N modem/router for the price

Reply #4 Posted: January 03, 2013, 06:46:43 pm

Offline oefox

• Devoted Member
  • oefox has no influence.
Going to agree with Codex on this one, getting a good router that you can load dd-wrt or tomato onto would be good long term if you like to meddle with firmware. Asus, tplink, and linksys for consumer market routers are a good start.

Reply #5 Posted: January 03, 2013, 07:31:24 pm
- badfox

Offline mattnz

• mattnz is working their way up.mattnz is working their way up.mattnz is working their way up.
Quote from: .osiRiS;1513425
Yet you offer no decent suggestions. :\

Shock horror another mattnz post full of nothing...

Not terribly difficult to find. Got to pricespy, tick the right boxes, ???, profit.

I firmly believe in teaching a man to fish.

Reply #6 Posted: January 03, 2013, 07:33:12 pm

Offline oefox

• Devoted Member
  • oefox has no influence.
Fuck pricespy and it's bollocks, go to straight to computerlounge/playtech/ascent. I myself have a dove account but bought my router from computerlounge as I was very picky about performance.

Reply #7 Posted: January 04, 2013, 08:00:07 pm
- badfox

Offline toofast

• Addicted
  • toofast barely matters.toofast barely matters.
Quote from: mattnz;1513430
Not terribly difficult to find. Got to pricespy, tick the right boxes, ???, profit.

I firmly believe in teaching a man to fish.

Yea, then you get a list of routers, which you then need to look through reviews and eliminate the bad ones. While its quite likely someone here has recently bought one, or even better multiple people agree on one, which gives me a good starting off point.

I firmly believe in not reinventing the wheel.

I think it might be worth looking into the split router/modem. But i think i was a bit premature on this thread, because i pulled up my old modem, and got the same issue on it. So i think my current one may be fine. Regardless thanks for the help.

Reply #8 Posted: January 04, 2013, 08:15:55 pm

Offline mattnz

That is true, but at the same time I feel like not enough people here have used enough different models of router in circumstances equivalent to your own to really give a true representation of each product's actual average quality.

If I buy a router, and it performs satisfactorily, I'm not gonna search for a new one, so I have no clue how many better ones there are out there.

Reply #9 Posted: January 04, 2013, 08:33:14 pm

Offline Nostargate

• Addicted
  • Nostargate barely matters.Nostargate barely matters.
Quote from: BeNZene;1513416
Have been using one of these TPlink ones for ages, has been cheap and reliable.

http://www.playtech.co.nz/afawcs0139235/CATID=78/ID=13502/SID=550902604/productdetails.html

Quote from: .osiRiS;1513425

I have one of these, it's awesome, for it's price (mine was on special at $72).

Reply #10 Posted: January 05, 2013, 06:30:58 am