Topic: Good programming language to learn?

Offline Spoonguard

• Addicted
  • Spoonguard has no influence.
Quote from: Pyromanik;1334001
Don't be too harsh, everyone starts somewhere.

I didn't mean to come off as harsh. I just find it hard to believe that he honestly didn't know what a shell was. Then again, I guess fewer and fewer people have played around with pre-32-bit computers these days.

Reply #50 Posted: November 21, 2010, 04:04:41 pm
        and nothing of value was lost.

Offline thatGUyAswell

• Just settled in
  • thatGUyAswell has no influence.
Quote from: Bell;1333865
Quote from: Problems;1333781
just starting the first planing of a online 3d rpg game with a friend.

Every beginner game dev hobbyist has the dream of making an online 3rd RPG game.
They are one of the hardest and most content filled games imaginable and therefore generally a terrible idea to attempt.
Even a Offline 2D RPG is a shit ton of work, because the game is all about content and not so much about game mechanics.

That's why I'm doing it with a friend, who has experience:P

Reply #51 Posted: November 21, 2010, 05:01:23 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
  • Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.
Quote from: Problems;1334061
That's why I'm doing it with a friend, who has experience:P

It's not an issue of experience, more of time and manpower.
You realise there are entire game studios who won't touch RPG's due to their scope.

What is your scope?
Are you making it to learn or do you actually want people to play it?

Reply #52 Posted: November 21, 2010, 05:47:22 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Bell;1334072
It's not an issue of experience, more of time and manpower.
You realise there are entire game studios who won't touch RPG's due to their scope.

What is your scope?
Are you making it to learn or do you actually want people to play it?
Woah! Hold up there!

This is a bigger question than you'd think, especially for a beginner. To simplify this question down we shall use the 5W's and H approach:

Who is the game intended for? - If it is "Just me" then you should rush in and start typing away. That is the way I started.

Why are you making the game? - You could be making it just for the experience of making a game or you could be making it to fulfil a need. If you're just making it for XP points, then you should rush in and type away! Make a whole thread (our programming forum needs more threads!) about what you are making and just ask questions about CONCEPTS, not the overall scope. We are here to help, not live your life for you :P

What will you be using to make the game? - List what language and tools you will be using. For example: I use BlueJ and Java with the JLayer package for mp3 sounds.

When do you think you will finish the game? - Every game idea NEEDS an endpoint, a point where you will consider it 'complete enough to play and be fun enough to justify the effort'. This may not be the absolute endpoint, but would definitely be something you would like to show off to others.

Where too from here? - Now you've got your tools, players, concept and possible time frame: What are you going to do after it is done? This is actually one of the most fun parts of development. e.g I've been working on Street Fighter 2 for Java (because all the SF2 online applets are horrible). Where too after it is done? Well. I could put more characters in, which I have done! pre-Shippuden Naruto is in there and he has the Kage-Bunshin as his special move.

And finally: HOW will you achieve your goals? - If you are doing it solely for yourself, then this is somewhat irrelevant.

And please please please dont generalise your answers. "I am making it for FPS players!" is not a good answer for anything. "I am making it for Halo fans!" is better.

Reply #53 Posted: November 21, 2010, 07:19:48 pm
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline Blob_ZPS

• Devoted Member
  • Blob_ZPS has no influence.
Quote from: `Kayne;1333788
Hmms Problems has convinced me to learn c# since it seems to be most popular, and Python seems to need other programming languages to work well.

TBH, I actually want to learn alot of programming languages, including Java, Lua and now, Python.

Lua is what Gmod uses.

Reply #54 Posted: November 21, 2010, 09:11:44 pm

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
  • Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!
Yeah but I don't want to make addons for gmod. Craig wouldn't want to put all my failed addons on the server anyway :P

Reply #55 Posted: November 21, 2010, 10:15:11 pm
Top Geary - 27th May 2016 at 12:10 AM
I've learnt to ignore when you say derogatory things to me

Offline thatGUyAswell

• Just settled in
  • thatGUyAswell has no influence.
Bell, more of an experience...but graphics will be like runescape so I can make textures my self, and I know a modeler who is willing to help. Morly so just doing all the coding side of things with a small level.

By the way, Glua is a bitch to debug, Gmod kept telling me wrong lines of code that were wrong. :!

Reply #56 Posted: November 21, 2010, 10:48:07 pm

Offline Spoonguard

• Addicted
Quote from: Problems;1334166
Bell, more of an experience...but graphics will be like runescape so I can make textures my self, and I know a modeler who is willing to help. Morly so just doing all the coding side of things with a small level.

By the way, Glua is a bitch to debug, Gmod kept telling me wrong lines of code that were wrong. :!

What, you expect something other than problems??

Implement your own debugger...

Reply #57 Posted: November 21, 2010, 10:51:58 pm

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
  • Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!
With the help of Problems, I am now downloading a legit version of Visual Studio 2010 >.<

Still keen to give Python a go but haven't had much time today lol

Reply #58 Posted: November 21, 2010, 11:12:16 pm

Offline Spoonguard

• Addicted
Quote from: `Kayne;1334173
With the help of Problems, I am now downloading a legit version of Visual Studio 2010 >.<

Still keen to give Python a go but haven't had much time today lol

Expect Problems!

But at least you won't have Issues.

Reply #59 Posted: November 21, 2010, 11:25:18 pm

Offline Menial

• Addicted
  • Menial is working their way up.Menial is working their way up.Menial is working their way up.
c# is all I know, and still, that ain't a lot.

I remember this analogy about c and c#: c is like a chainsaw without the guard, more powerful, but requires more expertise to use without fucking something up, c# is safer to learn but has limitations compared to c.

I think it's from the yellowbook, google it, it's supposed to be a pretty handy book for learning c#.

Reply #60 Posted: November 21, 2010, 11:28:21 pm

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Visual studio is powerful indeed.
But barely touched by the beginner.

At least it will give you a nice startpoint for many languages.

Also, if we're on the subject of textbooks:
Cay Horstmann.

I book I was required to have; never opened.
But I'm sure it'll be helpful for many beginners. It really does seem pretty good.

Reply #61 Posted: November 21, 2010, 11:29:39 pm
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
Still trying to muck around with Python, and its like the guy in the tutorial isn't even using english to explain it...

Reply #62 Posted: November 21, 2010, 11:57:51 pm

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
He probably isn't.

Reply #63 Posted: November 22, 2010, 12:09:41 am

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
Now installing Microsoft Visual Studio Professional 2010.

I don't need to worry now, I guess :P

Reply #64 Posted: November 22, 2010, 12:52:07 am

Offline Greaver

• Just settled in
  • Greaver has no influence.
I have found Visual Studion awesome for learning the basics of coding, just having it give you the expected responses when typing each bit of code helps.

Reply #65 Posted: November 22, 2010, 01:25:58 am

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
I just hooked visual studio up to my xbox 360, time to make some games.

Reply #66 Posted: November 22, 2010, 07:38:17 am

Offline Pyromanik

Yeh, the VS debugger is quite good iirc. Easy to use.

Reply #67 Posted: November 22, 2010, 01:18:49 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
  • Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.
It's the best.
So much nicer using VS to debug a xbox build compared to using the crap you have to use with PS3.

And if you are doing C# work the intellisence is amazing.

Reply #68 Posted: November 22, 2010, 01:33:24 pm

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Drinking a beer makes you program better.

Drinking two makes it worse.

Reply #69 Posted: November 22, 2010, 02:03:49 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Spacemonkey;1334316

Reply #70 Posted: November 22, 2010, 02:12:47 pm
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
Quote from: Spacemonkey;1334316

Drinking two makes it worse.

Not for me lol :P

Reply #71 Posted: November 22, 2010, 03:00:54 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
You must find your alcohol balance young padawan

Reply #72 Posted: November 22, 2010, 03:02:30 pm

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
silly people. :P

I have things in my life that do not allow me to drink alcohol lol.

But I don't want to be a sympathy case, Lets just leave it at that.

date : 21 June 2012, Boy was I Wrong. I can drink what ever the fuck I want

date : 16th November 2015 Jesus I laughed so hard at this post. Good times. Good times.
Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 06:16:18 pm by `Kayne

Reply #73 Posted: November 22, 2010, 03:11:43 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
Meh alcohol is overrated.

Reply #74 Posted: November 22, 2010, 03:15:13 pm