Topic: Transmission help

Offline Valvanite

• ZUUUNE

• Valvanite has no influence.
Ok so I own a 1996 Mitsubishi diamante station wagon.

It has tiptronic transmission.

Today when I went to go to work I put it in drive and fuck all really happend. The engine sound changed but it did not pull forward.

I put it in reverse and it went in reverse fine.

I put it in Neutral and it still went in reverse.

When I try the tiptronic side it will only go into 1st and 2nd. Still not moving.

The car has clean and topped with Trans fluid.

Has anyone encountered something like this before? Its going to have to go in and get repaired regardless. But I was hoping there was someone here that could give me some insight.

The old man mentioned it could have something to do with the gear selectors.

Posted: February 20, 2013, 10:01:08 am

Offline Xenolightning

• GS Developer
  • Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!
Drive everywhere in reverse.

I see no problem here.

Reply #1 Posted: February 20, 2013, 10:42:48 am
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Xenolightning;1518549
Drive everywhere in reverse.

I see no problem here.

This was the obvious soloution I saw as well.

Reply #2 Posted: February 20, 2013, 10:59:22 am

Offline Ninja

• Just settled in
  • Ninja has no influence.
wrong transfluid? make sure u have the right type (dexron II, dexron III, so on) check the loom to the gearbox is plugged in properly other than that not sure, dont have much experience with tiptronics sorry

Reply #3 Posted: February 20, 2013, 12:50:23 pm
Ninja! We Own The Night!

Offline Valvanite

• ZUUUNE

Yeah I havent changed the fluid since i bought it but its clean and topped up.  It just sounds like its almost not engaging, When put in drive the engine changes like its under load. but no movement from the wheels.

Also I thought about driving in reverse everywhere as well. Im just not sure how fast I could go

Reply #4 Posted: February 20, 2013, 03:30:38 pm

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
My solution was to remove the gearbox, rotate it, then place it back in.

Reply #5 Posted: February 20, 2013, 04:01:54 pm
"We are the majority we arent the tards, the people we pick on are." -Luse_K

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
My solution was to remove the gearbox, and hook the engine up directly to the wheels.

Reply #6 Posted: February 20, 2013, 04:08:09 pm

Offline Valvanite

• ZUUUNE

You guys are fucking hopeless.

Its ok now it seems to have fixed itself. Im on a break now and came home to play around with it again. I went from reverse to tiptronic and it make a large clunk and shake and whatever was popped out seemed to have popped back in again.\

Its due for a service anyway so ill get the fluids and filters changed then. Thanks for the help anyway automotive guys and girls. And monkey...

Reply #7 Posted: February 20, 2013, 04:16:19 pm

Offline DarkVirus

• Administrator
  • DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!
D is for Day, N is for Night modes.

Do not confuse these.

Reply #8 Posted: February 20, 2013, 04:25:27 pm
Praise be to RNGesus
Add me to Steam

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Valvanite;1518576
You guys are fucking hopeless.

Its ok now it seems to have fixed itself. Im on a break now and came home to play around with it again. I went from reverse to tiptronic and it make a large clunk and shake and whatever was popped out seemed to have popped back in again.\

Its due for a service anyway so ill get the fluids and filters changed then. Thanks for the help anyway automotive guys and girls. And monkey...

Basically here's how an automatic gearbox works:

Input ----> Wizardry ----> Output

Reply #9 Posted: February 20, 2013, 04:27:30 pm

Offline HandofBlood

• Just settled in
  • HandofBlood has no influence.
Sounds like your going to end up paying for a new gearbox, always hear about how bad the gearboxes are on Diamantes.

My Tiptronic wont let me change down from 2nd unless the box has reached a specific operating temperature. Could be why you couldn't change yours.

Reply #10 Posted: February 20, 2013, 05:08:20 pm
i5-4670K | Corsair H100 | ASRock Z87 Extreme4 | 8GB Corsair Dominator | EVGA/Asus GeForce GTX 680  SLi | 250GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2x Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB | Windows 7 Pro 64bit | Corsair AX860i PSU | NZXT Phantom White

Offline Nostargate

• Addicted
  • Nostargate barely matters.Nostargate barely matters.
You forgot to plug your ZOON in.

Regards Kevin.

Reply #11 Posted: February 20, 2013, 06:00:13 pm

Offline mycoolcar

• Addicted
  • mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...
The dead auto transmissions I have come across would sometimes work fine when cold, and then crap out as they warmed up. It would feel like when a clutch is on its way out, loosing mechanical grip as it heated up.

Others would just do nothing in D all the time, while being able to reverse fine. Just get a mechanic to look at it, they are pros.

Reply #12 Posted: February 20, 2013, 06:03:51 pm

Offline Baldesto

• Addicted
  • Baldesto barely matters.Baldesto barely matters.
tiptronic mitsi . bad bad bad . sell to some numpty while its going and buy a toyota .

Reply #13 Posted: February 20, 2013, 07:43:41 pm

Offline toofast

• Addicted
  • toofast barely matters.toofast barely matters.
Quote from: Baldesto;1518603
tiptronic mitsi . bad bad bad . sell to some numpty while its going and buy a toyota .

This. Only ever hear bad things about the tiptronic misti. They are known to run into a lot of gear box issues.

Reply #14 Posted: February 20, 2013, 10:31:47 pm

Offline Valvanite

• ZUUUNE

Fantastic. Its booked in for a service friday morning. hes gonna check it out then and tell me what im in for

Reply #15 Posted: February 20, 2013, 10:34:28 pm

Offline Xenolightning

• GS Developer
  • Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!
You're in for a new car.

Reply #16 Posted: February 21, 2013, 08:25:13 am
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
Quote from: Xenolightning;1518626
You're in for a new car.

YAAAAAAAAAAAAY new car shopping!

Reply #17 Posted: February 21, 2013, 08:57:58 am

Offline Valvanite

• ZUUUNE

Hahah yeah I only bought this one for 2k. I saw it in a car sale yard for 6. so might try sell it for 4 and see what I can get. Ive always wanted a Toyota corolla station wagon. I really dont need a 6 cyl V6 anyway.  Although it does sound beastly when i rev it. However its probably the sound of it drinking all my petrol

Reply #18 Posted: February 21, 2013, 09:54:07 am

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
Quote from: Valvanite;1518633
Hahah yeah I only bought this one for 2k. I saw it in a car sale yard for 6. so might try sell it for 4 and see what I can get. Ive always wanted a Toyota corolla station wagon. I really dont need a 6 cyl V6 anyway.  Although it does sound beastly when i rev it. However its probably the sound of it drinking all my petrol

"My corolla broke down and I wasn't able to fix it with duct tape and/or WD40" said no one ever.

Reply #19 Posted: February 21, 2013, 09:57:14 am

Offline Xenolightning

• GS Developer
Quote from: Valvanite;1518633
6cyl V6...

:D

It is a Mitsi, probably only running on 3 or 4

Reply #20 Posted: February 21, 2013, 10:24:50 am
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline Ninja

• Just settled in
  • Ninja has no influence.
yea to be fair in my time dyno tuning i did come across several 7 cyl chevy V8s, a couple of 4 and 5 cylinder nissan straight 6's,  and a one cylinder integra (yes really)

Reply #21 Posted: February 21, 2013, 10:33:05 pm
Ninja! We Own The Night!

Offline Valvanite

• ZUUUNE

Oh I have been misinformed then. Still sounds grunty as fuck. Its at the mechanics now. Had to bike back home. Wairakei road airport end to Wooston village... 45 mins

Reply #22 Posted: February 22, 2013, 09:54:31 am

Offline Nostargate

• Addicted
  • Nostargate barely matters.Nostargate barely matters.
Did you update it's punkbuster manually before you took it in?

Reply #23 Posted: February 22, 2013, 09:56:25 am

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
  • The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!
Wow you guys are Dicks....

Chin Chin

Reply #24 Posted: February 22, 2013, 03:59:10 pm