Topic: Apple unveils 29c plastic case for $29 and 2 new phones

Offline Spigalau

• Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.
5C: for 'Cheap' & PlastiC

"It has an incredible all new design, one that's more fun, more colorful  than any iPhone we've made yet," said Phil Schiller, Apple's senior  vice president for marketing. In a video, Apple design guru Jonny Ive  described the 5C as "beautifully, unapologetically plastic."

The phone will sell for as little as $99, for a 16GB version, and $199  for one with 32GB of storage (each with a two-year mobile contract). In a  departure, Apple will also be making its own cases for the 5C, selling  them in a variety of colors for $29.

5S: for 'Suckers'

The 5S features a handful of performance upgrades, including what Apple calls a dramatic increase in processing speed.

It will have the first  64-bit chip in a smartphone -- Apple's A7 -- which Schiller said has  tested at up to twice as fast as the iPhone 5's processor. It also will  have a new feature, a motion co-processor, that will let the phone be  used as a fitness tracker along the lines of a FitBit.

Schiller said battery  life will be "the same or better" than the iPhone 5 and its camera will  have 15% more active sensor space, improved white balance and  auto-focus, and a new flash.
 Also, its camera will, for the first time on iPhone, allow video in slow motion.

Arguably the most  dramatic new feature on the phone, though, is Touch ID, a fingerprint  scanner for added security. Users will be able to log into their phone  via the home button and make purchases from iTunes using their  fingerprint as a password of sorts.

The iPhone 5S will sell for $199 for a 16GB version, $299 for a 32GB model and $399 for the top-end 64GB phone.

Pre-orders for the  iPhone 5C starts on September 13. Both versions are on sale starting  September 20. Cook also announced the newest version of Apple's mobile  operating system, iOS 7, will be released to the public on September 18.

---------------------

Also, interesting to see that it looks like they have or will discontinue the old 5 handset, rather than discounting it as they have done in previous years. I was reading the 5C was cheaper to make than the 5, so having an old (more expensive to produce) 5 at same price would have buggered them.

Posted: September 11, 2013, 10:58:39 am
49 20 63 61 6e 20 72 65 6d 65 6d 62 65 72 20 77 68 65 6e 20 74 68 65 20 61 69 72 20 77 61 73 20 63 6c 65 61 6e 20 61 6e 64 20 73 65 78 20 77 61 73 20 64 69 72 74 79 2e

Offline BerG

• Terminator

• BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.

Reply #1 Posted: September 11, 2013, 11:33:51 am

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
So what this means, is when I want to borrow my mates iPhone, I have to cut off his finger?

Because I would totally be keen for that.

Reply #2 Posted: September 11, 2013, 11:50:42 am

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
Twice as fast as the 5S is still 5/8ths of fuck all.

The 5C is still going to be a stupidly expensive phone. I can get an S4 on contract for 2 years with no money down and they want me to shell out (at an estimate) $200 to jump on what will be an $89 per month plan for a mid-range phone?

Piss off.

EDIT: Also, I don't trust an Apple product with a finger print scanner.
Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 03:22:37 pm by Retardobot

Reply #3 Posted: September 11, 2013, 03:19:51 pm

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Retardobot;1531400
Piss off.

But I was so looking forward to cutting your fingers off.

You don't need all of them.

Reply #4 Posted: September 11, 2013, 04:08:18 pm

Offline Xenolightning

• Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Retardobot;1531400
Twice as fast as the 5S is still 5/8ths of fuck all.

The 5C is still going to be a stupidly expensive phone. I can get an S4 on contract for 2 years with no money down and they want me to shell out (at an estimate) $200 to jump on what will be an $89 per month plan for a mid-range phone?

Piss off.

That quote is from USA. So not so relevant to our situation.

What I can tell you is the 5C is $549 US no contract, so will end up being $700 (probably + $100 because of the "you're in NZ and can suck a big fat wang" tax) which is still expensive, but IS more competitive. Be looking at a free phone on a $50-60 24month contract.

Fingerprint scanner -_- General consumer use of fingerprint scanners is non existent, and just a plain pain in the arse. It's not dissimilar to the "show your face to unlock" in which a total of ZERO people use.

The only thing good to come out of that keynote was iOS7, which we all already knew about.

Also,

WANG

Reply #5 Posted: September 11, 2013, 05:27:14 pm
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Xenolightning;1531410
Be looking at a free phone on a $50-60 24month contract.

I'm positive that it's going to be more than this. Why would it be free for us, when in the US the report is that it will cost $99 for the base model on a 24 month contract? Then up in price from there (32, 64GB).

In my experience after helping my Mrs. pick out a plan and phone on a US carrier, most phones that ask for a $100 - $200 initial payment for the handset usually cost around $80US a month on a plan over $24 months. So with this info, I can hazard a guess that the base model will be around $100 - $200NZD to jump on a 24 month contract at $89 a month.

Reply #6 Posted: September 11, 2013, 05:54:16 pm

Offline Xenolightning

• Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Retardobot;1531412
I'm positive that it's going to be more than this. Why would it be free for us, when in the US the report is that it will cost $99 for the base model on a 24 month contract? Then up in price from there (32, 64GB).

In my experience after helping my Mrs. pick out a plan and phone on a US carrier, most phones that ask for a $100 - $200 initial payment for the handset usually cost around $80US a month on a plan over $24 months. So with this info, I can hazard a guess that the base model will be around $100 - $200NZD to jump on a 24 month contract at $89 a month.
Yeah I think you're right. That's a joke. Phone plans got stupidly expensive again. I got SGS3 free on "$90-24" 18 months ago, I'd be lucky to get it for under $120 now. That's a joke.

Stupid NZ telecomms market.

It also looks like the big fat wang tax is more expensive than $100, could be up to $200.
Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 08:09:19 pm by Xenolightning

Reply #7 Posted: September 11, 2013, 08:06:08 pm
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

I hope NZ follows suit.

US has just started offering plans where you're allowed to swap phones without getting ass raped while on a 12/24 month contract. More than likely a small fee involved per month, but I'd rather that than one giant insane 'termination' fee.

Reply #8 Posted: September 11, 2013, 08:27:27 pm

Offline Xenolightning

Quote from: Retardobot;1531419
I hope NZ follows suit.

US has just started offering plans where you're allowed to swap phones without getting ass raped while on a 12/24 month contract. More than likely a small fee involved per month, but I'd rather that than one giant insane 'termination' fee.
Vodafone "Red" is part way there. New phone every year.

Reply #9 Posted: September 11, 2013, 09:06:50 pm
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

Ooo, well done Vodafone.

Still not good enough for me to ever give you my money though.

Hacks.

I'm waiting for the Galaxy Note III to drop with Telecom. Mrs has a Note II and it was epic to use.

Reply #10 Posted: September 11, 2013, 10:24:33 pm

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
Oh fuck yes, I can't wait to destroy apple fuckwits by asking "so what does 64 bit do?"

Reply #11 Posted: September 12, 2013, 11:02:51 am
"We are the majority we arent the tards, the people we pick on are." -Luse_K

Offline swindle

• swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!
64bit is when the processor has 64 pieces inside it, so that way it can process 64 things at once. Like 64 messages, or 64 face times.

You know.

Reply #12 Posted: September 12, 2013, 11:20:22 am
If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Offline frankytanky

• Devoted Member
  • frankytanky is working their way up.frankytanky is working their way up.frankytanky is working their way up.
I got 64 problems but a bit ain't one? amidoingitright?

Reply #13 Posted: September 12, 2013, 01:12:32 pm

Quote from: frankytanky;1531454

Hell yes, I love it.

Reply #14 Posted: September 12, 2013, 01:32:05 pm

Quote from: frankytanky;1531454

Hell yes, I love it.

Reply #15 Posted: September 12, 2013, 01:32:20 pm

Offline Xenolightning

Quote from: Spacemonkey;1531457
Hell yes, I love it.
Me too.

Reply #16 Posted: September 12, 2013, 04:34:11 pm
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline Xenolightning

Quote from: Spacemonkey;1531456
Hell yes, I love it.
Me too.

Reply #17 Posted: September 12, 2013, 04:34:27 pm
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline swindle

• swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!
The 5s with iOS7 looks pretty dope tbh.

I love that flat minimal look. Drives me wild in the panties.

Been playing around with iOS7 today. Tis nice.

Android is very... fragmented.

Reply #18 Posted: September 12, 2013, 05:04:49 pm
If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
Apple could have made huge impact with the 5c... if it cost $150-200 to buy outright.....but nope, they fucked it up.

Reply #19 Posted: September 12, 2013, 05:38:49 pm
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

Offline BerG

• Terminator

• BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.
Quote from: swindle;1531469
The 5s with iOS7 looks pretty dope tbh.

I love that flat minimal look. Drives me wild in the panties.

Been playing around with iOS7 today. Tis nice.

Android is very... fragmented.

LOL.

Reply #20 Posted: September 12, 2013, 06:34:47 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
  • Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.
Quote from: Bounty Hunter;1531446
Oh fuck yes, I can't wait to destroy apple fuckwits by asking "so what does 64 bit do?"

64 is twice as much as 32 so the iPhone will be twice as fast!!
HAHA ANDRIOD NOOBS
Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 07:20:25 pm by Bell

Reply #21 Posted: September 12, 2013, 07:01:59 pm

Offline swindle

Quote from: BerG;1531479
LOL.

Reply #22 Posted: September 12, 2013, 08:05:19 pm