Topic: Rasberry PI - Best invention since sliced bread.

Offline Speakman

• Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!
Quick google of Gridseed shows a crypto miner. Pi running them??

Reply #150 Posted: July 10, 2014, 07:12:44 am
Quote from: Mellcor
i had kinda hope speakman had died, what a pity

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
I found a use for my RasPi
Here is what one HCI group did to the class Raspberry PI

HCI project, THE LUNCHBOX ARCADE!!!

Reply #151 Posted: July 10, 2014, 08:52:47 am
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline =C=

• Devoted Member
  • =C= has no influence.
Quick google of Gridseed shows a crypto miner. Pi running them??

Yep, that's the 1.

Reply #152 Posted: July 12, 2014, 05:53:35 pm
Intel i7 860 @ 4Ghz OC | ASUS P7P55D Pro | 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz | GTX 980 SLI | 860W PSU | Lian-Li DragonLord Case K62B | ASUS Xonar Essence STX Sound h4x |

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
And what the fuck is a crypto miner?

In other words:
What is it doing?

Reply #153 Posted: July 12, 2014, 10:23:49 pm
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Codex

And what the fuck is a crypto miner?

In other words:
What is it doing?
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mining

Mines bitcoin currency by processing a specific algorithm essentially.

Surprised you don't know much about it Pyro :S

Got my pi setup last night with motion as a security camera, captures 720p footage quite well. Found some python scripts that I might take a look into how they work and create my own to upload to google drive etc

Works pretty damn well tbh o:

I'm expecting many cat emails

Reply #154 Posted: July 14, 2014, 08:31:41 am

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
This just in, codex wants catcalls for his mocap drag footage.

Also yeah, I'm aware of bitcoin. But I find the idea pretty fucking ludicrous tbh.
I mean it _seems_ like it should be a good idea. But it just isn't.
The number of fraud cases and shit popping up all over the place about it pretty much sums up how I feel, thus have not paid any attention to it at all.

In short, although the algorighm seems legit... it even accounts for inflation... people can't control the implementation, but they do control the mining and banking (which is completely unregulated)... so yeah, fucking terrible news or a fake demand economy.

TL:DR; bitcoin is building a house of cards on top of a skyscraper in harbourside Wellington. With ALL the cards.
Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 11:36:06 am by Pyromanik

Reply #155 Posted: July 14, 2014, 11:33:36 am

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Pyro, I share you feelings regarding bitcoins.

I thought I was the only one.

Reply #156 Posted: July 14, 2014, 12:00:49 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Also yeah, I'm aware of bitcoin. But I find the idea pretty fucking ludicrous tbh.
I mean it _seems_ like it should be a good idea. But it just isn't.
The basis of money is faith in the monetary system
The basis of bitcoin is faith in its algorithm

The difference is: Bitcoin cannot print money. You just have to trust the algorithm

Reply #157 Posted: July 14, 2014, 04:47:25 pm
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline Pyromanik

But you can steal it!

The internet, where NOTHING is safe. Shit I know... lets make a monetary system with real world value!

In my eyes, steam wallet > bitcoin.

At least one has a purpose. The other just exists to appeal to my ego. I can amass, but not really spend where I choose to.

Reply #158 Posted: July 15, 2014, 07:37:23 am

Codex

More and more bitcoin options are appearing, you can even use bitcoin on newegg now lol

Reply #159 Posted: July 15, 2014, 08:52:30 am

Offline Pyromanik

Yeah, artificial demand will do that.
But I've seen enough shit in the papers about theft and manipulation to ward me clear of knowing more for now.

Reply #160 Posted: July 15, 2014, 10:12:38 am

Codex

^I don't really see why, it's no worse than the fraud, black market use, manipulation, and laundering that happens with "real currency"

Anyway

Model B+ has been shown off
http://www.raspberrypi.org/introducing-raspberry-pi-model-b-plus/

A shame I only got my B a month ago at most, might pick up 2 or 3 of the B+ model though once cases are out

Reply #161 Posted: July 15, 2014, 11:19:47 am

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
A problem I see with bitcoin is, currently the userbase is small (comparatively), and the processing power available to process transactions is ample because we have lots of people mining bitcoins.

However the return from bitcoin mining will decrease overtime as I understand, so less people will do it. However as more and more people start to use bitcoins, will there be enough processing power to handle all the transactions in a timely manner? Or will I have to wait a couple of hours to buy a coffee while I'm waiting for my transaction to be validated?

However I'm mostly ignorant of how it all works, so it might not be a problem.
Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 01:18:08 pm by Spacemonkey

Reply #162 Posted: July 15, 2014, 01:15:26 pm

Offline Pyromanik

So Raspberry Pi model B+ was released today (well... the news of it's release hit today).

Same shit, different periperal connector combinations!

Audio is now 4 ring jack, 4th ring being for video (instead of RCA)
there are now 4 USB ports, AND the ethernet adapter (which was/is also just a USB peripheral soldered on).
The GPIO pins have increatsed to 40 or something (from ~28 iirc)
The SD card has decreased to micro size, WITH a clippy lock thing so it won't just fall out.
The voltage regulators mean that there is more supply, and it's more stable. Eg. you can run a 2.5" hdd direct from the Pi itself now, without need for a powered hub.
And it uses less power than the non + version (I assume in general, not when loaded up with usb things).

Camera and other ribbon adapter thing are still there.
Same chip & other bits, from what I gather (same system on chip at least - no processing power or ram upgrade).
But the PCB looks even smaller! (not entirely sure if actually is)

Seems pretty cool. Just before I invested too, lucky I held out!
Except demand is high of course, so it's all out of stock everywhere (that I could see)!

Pimoroni already have  Pibow casings to fit.

Reply #163 Posted: July 16, 2014, 11:22:36 am

Offline Pyromanik

^I don't really see why, it's no worse than the fraud, black market use, manipulation, and laundering that happens with "real currency"

No worse, no. But SEEMINGLY more endemic/systemic/prolific.
Probably just because media hops on the hate wagon whenever it can.

Reply #164 Posted: July 16, 2014, 11:24:49 am

Codex

So Raspberry Pi model B+ was released today (well... the news of it's release hit today).

Same shit, different periperal connector combinations!

Audio is now 4 ring jack, 4th ring being for video (instead of RCA)
there are now 4 USB ports, AND the ethernet adapter (which was/is also just a USB peripheral soldered on).
The GPIO pins have increatsed to 40 or something (from ~28 iirc)
The SD card has decreased to micro size, WITH a clippy lock thing so it won't just fall out.
The voltage regulators mean that there is more supply, and it's more stable. Eg. you can run a 2.5" hdd direct from the Pi itself now, without need for a powered hub.
And it uses less power than the non + version (I assume in general, not when loaded up with usb things).

Camera and other ribbon adapter thing are still there.
Same chip & other bits, from what I gather (same system on chip at least - no processing power or ram upgrade).
But the PCB looks even smaller! (not entirely sure if actually is)

Seems pretty cool. Just before I invested too, lucky I held out!
Except demand is high of course, so it's all out of stock everywhere (that I could see)!

Pimoroni already have  Pibow casings to fit.

Already beat you to it nerd:
Model B+ has been shown off
http://www.raspberrypi.org/introducing-raspberry-pi-model-b-plus/

A shame I only got my B a month ago at most, might pick up 2 or 3 of the B+ model though once cases are out

No worse, no. But SEEMINGLY more endemic/systemic/prolific.
Probably just because media hops on the hate wagon whenever it can.

Yeah the exposure may be higher because of media selectively choosing to report more on it due to the "omg digital currency what do" thing but realistically I'd say that the transactions are more secure then current currency methods tbh.

Reply #165 Posted: July 16, 2014, 11:28:05 am

Offline Pyromanik

Yeah, just because you live in the future, cunt. :P

I really want one now, been meaning to get one for a while... but... when you need a screen too suddenly a 30 quid purchase goes up to ~250+ quid. Sucks, can just about get a full (not bad but not amazing) notebook for that.

Reply #166 Posted: July 20, 2014, 11:45:30 am

Codex

You don't need a screen, just use ssh

Configure to SSH stage on a tv or some shit, you can do it easily if you look around

Reply #167 Posted: July 21, 2014, 08:04:18 am

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!

OOh yes, switch voltage regulators are up to 96% efficient compared to linear which are usually 50%

And yes the voltage is very stable, especially under varying loads.

Reply #168 Posted: July 21, 2014, 08:29:10 pm
"We are the majority we arent the tards, the people we pick on are." -Luse_K

Codex

After formatting mine and starting it again it runs so much better now lol

Definitely looking into getting a b+ though

Reply #169 Posted: July 22, 2014, 07:55:09 am

Offline Pyromanik

You don't need a screen, just use ssh

Configure to SSH stage on a tv or some shit, you can do it easily if you look around

Sweet. I'll just install linux blind. Don't mind me, I know the key touch sequence by heart.

PRO GEEK, GOD TIER. DON'T FUCK WITH ME.

PS. My B+ update was better than yours.
Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 11:04:56 am by Pyromanik

Reply #170 Posted: July 22, 2014, 11:02:31 am

Codex

Well you have to load an image onto the SDC first anyway, pretty sure you can preconfigure it that way for ssh?

Reply #171 Posted: July 22, 2014, 11:10:03 am

Offline Pyromanik

Hmm yeah I must admit, doing a traditional install seems a bit nonsense in this case... argh you found my kryptonite!
I guess I'll find out, I just gave in and bought one.

Reply #172 Posted: July 23, 2014, 10:56:58 am

Codex

B+ I hope :D

Maybe you can fix my time/date issue :P

The time syncs correctly but it's always exactly one day behind

gmt+12 set

etc

Syncs on power on

I have nfi why

Reply #173 Posted: July 23, 2014, 10:58:22 am

Offline Xsannz

• Addicted
  • Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!
B+ I hope :D

Maybe you can fix my time/date issue :P

The time syncs correctly but it's always exactly one day behind

gmt+12 set

etc

Syncs on power on

I have nfi why

iphones have had this issue for a long time with birthdays and contacts..

its to to with UTC vs Local time and how apps read and respond to this, the date math is always a problem.

thats why in DB's we store everything as UTC and then have an offset column that populates with the Timezone correction based in minutes corresponding to daylight savings or not.

that way no matter what reads the UTC + Offset it will always be correct, or in some cases the DB utc time + browser locale offset.

Reply #174 Posted: July 23, 2014, 11:29:32 am