Topic: Does anybody play EVE online?

Offline [TBAG] MrFiskIt

• Addicted
  • [TBAG] MrFiskIt has no influence.
Looks quite cool - i have absolutely no idea what i am doing but before i get into it i was just going to make sure i aint signing myself up for 3 years of buttsecks

Posted: September 12, 2007, 01:43:50 pm

Offline nzjeebs

• Addicted
  • nzjeebs has no influence.
Its pretty much THE best MMORPg for people who hate 8 year old gankers...the youngest iv meet ingame apart from me was 17.

Its time consuming, but requires lots of thought, planning and a good corp (clan)...Talk to me on msn and il give you some ISK to help you get started :P

Reply #1 Posted: September 12, 2007, 01:55:07 pm
aka Jeebs

Offline Plasma

• Addicted
  • Plasma is working their way up.Plasma is working their way up.Plasma is working their way up.
I played for about 5-6 months and got bored after that.
You really do need a good corp to make the game fun, unfortunately theres really no decent NZ /Aussie corps. The only decent one doesnt like noobs.
Mining can be a good way to start off for some easy ISK but it gets boring pretty quick. Good if you have a tv to watch at the sametime.
Trading on the otherhand is where the good ISK is. I took up trading just before i quit and made 700 mil ISK.

Reply #2 Posted: September 12, 2007, 02:50:59 pm

Offline philo-sofa

• Addicted
  • philo-sofa barely matters.philo-sofa barely matters.
I think I once literally fell asleep whilst playing this (though  I may have moved to the bed to rest).  By the time I got back..... nothing had happened.  Totally agree, looks like an amazing game, but nohting much going on if UR in Oceania.

Reply #3 Posted: September 12, 2007, 04:00:17 pm

Offline Temp

• Addicted
  • Temp has no influence.
Quote from: philo-sofa;538398
I think I once literally fell asleep whilst playing this (though  I may have moved to the bed to rest).  By the time I got back..... nothing had happened.  Totally agree, looks like an amazing game, but nohting much going on if UR in Oceania.

I tried to play this and found it a bit slow as well. Keep meaning to give it another try but just cannot get round to it.

Reply #4 Posted: September 12, 2007, 04:01:22 pm

Offline antman

• Just settled in
  • antman has no influence.
Me and 3 other mates are in a corp / aliance. Pretty awesome. You have to move out to 0.0 space with a nice aliance to get into it :) Most weekends me and a couple mates having drinks and playing Eve, so feel free to PM if your interested :P

Reply #5 Posted: September 12, 2007, 04:12:07 pm

Offline nzjeebs

• Addicted
Quote from: philo-sofa;538398

Things are always going on...you just need to know where to look. It doesnt matter where you are in the world, iv been in corps full of americans.

Reply #6 Posted: September 12, 2007, 04:12:52 pm
aka Jeebs

Offline Plasma

• Addicted
  • Plasma is working their way up.Plasma is working their way up.Plasma is working their way up.
hhhmm now im tempted to play again. But i think i might cry when i see how much a Hulk now sells for.

Reply #7 Posted: September 12, 2007, 04:21:08 pm

Offline antman

• Just settled in
Only 100 mill in the 0.0 system I'm in, cheap as.

Reply #8 Posted: September 12, 2007, 04:43:48 pm

Offline Plasma

• Addicted
Quote from: antman;538451
Only 100 mill in the 0.0 system I'm in, cheap as.

wow, i paid a hell of alot more for mine :)

Reply #9 Posted: September 12, 2007, 04:45:55 pm

Offline antman

• Just settled in
Just the skills for them are a bitch I think lol :)

Reply #10 Posted: September 12, 2007, 04:48:02 pm

Offline Plasma

• Addicted
Quote from: antman;538460
Just the skills for them are a bitch I think lol :)

Yeah it took a bit to get them.

Just went to look at my account but it looks like they are patching at the moment :)

Reply #11 Posted: September 12, 2007, 04:51:25 pm

Offline [TBAG]P.Dalziel

• Just settled in
  • [TBAG]P.Dalziel has no influence.
I played the trial and tbfh - the game is rotten to the core - the devs play in corps and have been caught cheating more than once.  Their reply was to ban and delete the accusers accounts.

the thing that really pisses me off is the pvp, it would at least six months to be pvp capable as there is absolutely no skill involved in combat. :disappoin IF youre in a corp it can be quite tactical but you will never be able to destroy a better ship though skill.  

Oh one more gripe - wtf is there no collision detection?   it pisses me off when your ship flys straight though a station or a planet,  ffs. /[rant]

Reply #12 Posted: September 12, 2007, 05:58:17 pm

"Computer games don\'t affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we\'d all be running around in darkened rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive music"

Offline Plasma

• Addicted
i remember now why i quit. :)

Reply #13 Posted: September 12, 2007, 06:11:46 pm

Offline Soulrolll

• Just settled in
  • Soulrolll has no influence.
join goonswarm and piss everyone off.

Reply #14 Posted: September 12, 2007, 11:07:42 pm
[SIGPIC]http://forums.iconzarena.co.nz/signaturepics/sigpic1925_19.gif[/SIGPIC]

Offline Invisty

• Addicted
  • Invisty has no influence.
Wee fun. I've been playing over a year now, and its the best MMORPG I've ever played.

What a lot of people do not understand is that it is an RPG. Not a space simulator. They don't understand why the game is why it is, and often presume they're getting some arcadey point and clickedy click game, which it is anything but.

I played the trial and tbfh - the game is rotten to the core - the devs play in corps and have been caught cheating more than once. Their reply was to ban and delete the accusers accounts.

Wrong. The developer in question lost his job, and the accuser was banned for being a forum hacker, amongst other things. Don't know how you got that misinformation. Also the devs are allowed to play without abusing their powers - would you seriously develop a game that you would not be allowed to play?

the thing that really pisses me off is the pvp, it would at least six months to be pvp capable

That would be one or two days in skills. Existing players in the game do "trial account pirating" in frigates (cheapest combat ships in the game) and get dozens of kills in the 14 day free trial, solo, with newbie characters. Imagine starting off playing WoW as a level 10 player and running around killing level 50s-60s. Its a matter of learning how to play the game, then applying it to a PvP situation. I prefer the time based skill system over the lameness of grinding 1000 monsters to get a level.

As there is absolutely no skill involved in combat.

At least there isn't if you're fighting AI NPCs, which isn't "combat". PvP is combat, and there is a heck of a lot to learn about it, which cannot be learnt all in the trial. Perhaps you could give me a full guide to scanning if you think you know everything about PvP. The game is not about NPCs, its about the other players.

Oh one more gripe - wtf is there no collision detection? it pisses me off when your ship flys straight though a station or a planet, ffs. /[rant]

Thats because its an RPG. Consider the fact that you're controlling a ship through a computer, with a ping to the other side of the world. Imagine if you lagged out. You would lose your 100m ISK investment ($20) from lag by crashing into a station. That would be seriously bad game design. EVE is an RPG, not a sim. Perhaps you should understand game design before having a go at that one, because you don't.

I dont mean to be nasty at all. Most people who play EVE and leave simply don't get it, or simply think they're going to get a happy, fun, sci-fi game with lots of big explosions and good times with friends. Sure, its sci-fi, has explosions and you can have good times, but unlike other games you actually have to put some effort into the game to get anything back from it. EVE is comparable to real life on both the economic level (a market so vast and complex the developers hire economists to keep it stable) and social (corporations and alliances are one of the core parts of the game, and are based on trust, assets and manpower, just like RL.)

EVE, at its core, is a player driven MMO. One of very few, and the only one to do it properly. Games like wow simply don't compare on the design complexity - EVE is designed to be run by the players, not run for the players. You build your own empire, make your own money. Death is harsh, scams, griefing, are legit and all part of the game. It is rarely a fun game. For this, most people don't like it. I like it purely for the massive scope of the game, the ability to do anything to anyone anywhere and anywhen (given normal constraints) and not have whiny kids complaining to the devs about it.

Average age of players: 27. Consider the average age of your normal Bf2 player.
One single server (no shards), 200k people, some 6000 systems.

Most EVE players put it like this:
"If I wanted someone to choose how I should play my game, I'd play WoW. If I want to play a game the way I want to play it, ill play EVE." Sorry for the wow-bashing, ive played it too, it ain't that bad.

EVE is terribly brutal, unforgiving and very hard to learn, but is by far the most complex game in existence. If you don't like it for this, then it isn't your type of game. But if you're looking for a game that is completely different to 99% of all other games you've played, then its by far a good choice. The only problem is that the trial doesn't give you enough time to scratch the surface, but if you get hold of someone who is willing to help, they'll point you in the right direction.

Reply #15 Posted: September 13, 2007, 12:16:32 am

Offline vietnow

• Devoted Member
  • vietnow has no influence.
Me and visty are corpies lol

ps 0.0 is ftw

Reply #16 Posted: September 13, 2007, 12:31:41 am

Team Bell - SC2B GetSome Champions

Offline philo-sofa

• Addicted
  • philo-sofa barely matters.philo-sofa barely matters.
Quote from: NZJeebs;538416
Things are always going on...you just need to know where to look. It doesnt matter where you are in the world, iv been in corps full of americans.

Quote from: Invisty;538914
EVE, at its core, is a player driven MMO. One of very few, and the only one to do it properly. Games like wow simply don't compare on the design complexity - EVE is designed to be run by the players, not run for the players. You build your own empire, make your own money. Death is harsh, scams, griefing, are legit and all part of the game. It is rarely a fun game. For this, most people don't like it. I like it purely for the massive scope of the game, the ability to do anything to anyone anywhere and anywhen (given normal constraints) and not have whiny kids complaining to the devs about it.

"If I wanted someone to choose how I should play my game, I'd play WoW. If I want to play a game the way I want to play it, ill play EVE." Sorry for the wow-bashing, ive played it too, it ain't that bad.

EVE is terribly brutal, unforgiving and very hard to learn, but is by far the most complex game in existence. If you don't like it for this, then it isn't your type of game. But if you're looking for a game that is completely different to 99% of all other games you've played, then its by far a good choice. The only problem is that the trial doesn't give you enough time to scratch the surface, but if you get hold of someone who is willing to help, they'll point you in the right direction.

Hmm.... seemed like there were possibilities, I guess I should say that location played a part, but there ain't much to do unless.. well you can work out something to do, which I lost interest in.  Is the only online game I played other than BF2 tho' so might get back into it if I it really can be all it seems to be..

Reply #17 Posted: September 13, 2007, 04:07:28 am

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!

Perhaps they should put an IQ limit instead of an age limit on the game
EVE is terribly brutal, unforgiving and very hard to learn, but is by far the most complex game in existence.

I think Wurm, Nethack and Capitalism get that title. But Wurm's the only online RPG game out of the three. Eve does sound very interesting though!

Reply #18 Posted: September 13, 2007, 07:42:12 am
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline Pudding

• Addicted
  • Pudding has no influence.
EVE is pretty complex and political, authough ive only played the trial, I need instant gratification, not flying accross a black and sparkly thing for 2 hours..

Reply #19 Posted: September 13, 2007, 08:38:42 am

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Pudding;539017
EVE is pretty complex and political, authough ive only played the trial, I need instant gratification, not flying accross a black and sparkly thing for 2 hours..

I guess space travel is just not for you then.

Thing is almost all games are simply periods of pointless activity interspersed with occasional conflict. Sure some of them get the conflict faster, but in those cases careful planning beforehand can save one from complete and utter failitude

Reply #20 Posted: September 13, 2007, 10:07:26 am
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline [TBAG]P.Dalziel

• Just settled in
  • [TBAG]P.Dalziel has no influence.
woah easy fan-boy:chuckle:

Wee fun. I've been playing over a year now, and its the best MMORPG I've ever played.

What a lot of people do not understand is that it is an RPG. Not a space simulator. They don't understand why the game is why it is, and often presume they're getting some arcadey point and clickedy click game, which it is anything but.

Fair nuff about it being a rpg - I found that out soon enough (to my utter disgust btw) it's not some much a game... more of a hobby, let put it this way i'm sure you and every other eve player has a tv in the same room as the pc.

Wrong. The developer in question lost his job, and the accuser was banned for being a forum hacker, amongst other things. Don't know how you got that misinformation. Also the devs are allowed to play without abusing their powers - would you seriously develop a game that you would not be allowed to play?

Yes, it's called professionalism

you should read up on the the whole dev thing a bit (someplace other than CCP's forums) http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/op-ed/847-Jumpgate-EVE-s-Devs-and-the-Friends-They-Keep

""In public response to CCP's decision to ban him, Kugutsumen posted: "If CCP is not willing to work with the me on a serious issue like this, and rather prefer to ban my accounts and attempt to silence me, then I will have to work with the players so they know the game is rigged and know what they're paying for," and went public with his information. As it made its way to the official EVE boards, his findings sent a tidal wave through the community. Members of BoB - and BoB's enemies - began posting wildly, forcing CCP's message board moderators began auto-deleting posts with certain keywords related to Kugutsumen and his findings. Eventually, the call for action became too loud to ignore, and CCP began an internal investigation into what happened.""

That would be one or two days in skills. Existing players in the game do "trial account pirating" in frigates (cheapest combat ships in the game) and get dozens of kills in the 14 day free trial, solo, with newbie characters. Imagine starting off playing WoW as a level 10 player and running around killing level 50s-60s. Its a matter of learning how to play the game, then applying it to a PvP situation. I prefer the time based skill system over the lameness of grinding 1000 monsters to get a level.

At least there isn't if you're fighting AI NPCs, which isn't "combat". PvP is combat, and there is a heck of a lot to learn about it, which cannot be learnt all in the trial. Perhaps you could give me a full guide to scanning if you think you know everything about PvP. The game is not about NPCs, its about the other players.

Thats because its an RPG. Consider the fact that you're controlling a ship through a computer, with a ping to the other side of the world. Imagine if you lagged out. You would lose your 100m ISK investment ($20) from lag by crashing into a station. That would be seriously bad game design. EVE is an RPG, not a sim. Perhaps you should understand game design before having a go at that one, because you don't.

or you could program the ships to fly around stations, planets etc

I dont mean to be nasty at all. Most people who play EVE and leave simply don't get it, or simply think they're going to get a happy, fun, sci-fi game with lots of big explosions and good times with friends. Sure, its sci-fi, has explosions and you can have good times, but unlike other games you actually have to put some effort into the game to get anything back from it. EVE is comparable to real life on both the economic level (a market so vast and complex the developers hire economists to keep it stable) and social (corporations and alliances are one of the core parts of the game, and are based on trust, assets and manpower, just like RL.)

I don't want to come across as nasty either.  The game seems like it was desgined by people who think excell is fun.  Without ISK the game is shit, like a RPG it's all about loot and levels - so you will never be able to truly test your skill against anyone -as it will always boil down to upgrades and skills - yawn a stats based pissing contest.

I truly hate all RPGs. I honestly don't see the point of paying money and investing all that time, just to be a level 60 ranger or something - imo the higher the level the more introverted the player is.

It's  just not what I would call a terribly good game

It's and interesting concept and has some potential but my problems with it are:

1) Corrupt Devs
2) It has a subscription fee (never give a sucker an even break)
3) Great fun for well established players - shitty for newbies  
4) It requires perseverance over skill
5) David Brabern should sue
6) If you thought school was fun you'll love work;)

Reply #21 Posted: September 14, 2007, 10:33:30 pm

"Computer games don\'t affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we\'d all be running around in darkened rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive music"

Offline Plasma

• Addicted
Quote from: '[TBAG
P.Dalziel;540503']I found that out soon enough (to my utter disgust btw) it's not some much a game... more of a hobby, let put it this way i'm sure you and every other eve player has a tv in the same room as the pc.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/op-ed/847-Jumpgate-EVE-s-Devs-and-the-Friends-They-Keep

Yip i use to play on my main pc and with my laptop next to me for my alt. Plus the tv going.

Reply #22 Posted: September 14, 2007, 10:37:46 pm

Offline nzjeebs

• Addicted
P.Dalziel;540503']  
you should read up on the the whole dev thing a bit (someplace other than CCP's forums) http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/op-ed/847-Jumpgate-EVE-s-Devs-and-the-Friends-They-Keep

Thats like saying read up about 9/11 conspiracys on http://www.loosechange.com instead of on foxnews.com    theyre both bullshit.

Reply #23 Posted: September 14, 2007, 11:12:29 pm
aka Jeebs

Offline Invisty

• Addicted
  • Invisty has no influence.
P.Dalziel;540503']woah easy fan-boy:chuckle:

Weak troll attempt. Back to forum school.

Fair nuff about it being a rpg - I found that out soon enough (to my utter disgust btw)

More trolling...

it's not some much a game... more of a hobby, let put it this way i'm sure you and every other eve player has a tv in the same room as the pc.

Another weak troll attempt.

Yes, it's called professionalism

you should read up on the the whole dev thing a bit (someplace other than CCP's forums) http://www.escapistmagazine.com/arti...ends-They-Keep

I don't read escapist, its boring as hell and biased. I have read Kugutsumens blog and forums. Sure CCP didnt handle it well, but he did breach the EULA so was obviously asking for a ban.

or you could program the ships to fly around stations, planets etc

Or you could read what I posted:
Perhaps you should understand game design before having a go at that one, because you don't.

I don't want to come across as nasty either. The game seems like it was desgined by people who think excell is fun. Without ISK the game is shit, like a RPG it's all about loot and levels - so you will never be able to truly test your skill against anyone.

As I said many times, its not a singleplayer game. Its about corporations and alliances. If youre dumb enough to play it solo and complain about imbalances, then you're a tool.

as it will always boil down to upgrades and skills - yawn a stats based pissing contest.

I believe you're familiar with another game that is all about stats and upgrades, called Bf2?

I truly hate all RPGs. I honestly don't see the point of paying money and investing all that time, just to be a level 60 ranger or something - imo the higher the level the more introverted the player is.

Trolling...

It's just not what I would call a terribly good game

Moar troll. Not from any one person's point of view, no. I never said it was. Some people like their game certain ways. EVE is a niche game, and for that the majority of normal people dont like it.

It's and interesting concept and has some potential but my problems with it are:

It has a subscription fee (never give a sucker an even break)

If an MMO doesnt have a subscription fee, they charge you for expansions (Guild wars). Even wow charges for expansions. Few MMOs let you pay for your subscription using ingame money. EVE does, which makes the game effectively free to play.

Great fun for well established players - shitty for newbies  
As I said, EVE is not a fun game. Comprehende? (I also had more fun being a newb than I do now - Go figure)

It requires perseverance over skill

Hey... so does real life! Which is what EVE is modelled on (more or less).

If you thought school was fun you'll love work;)

BREAKING NEWS. Unlike other games, EVE requires brainpower, time, and concentration!

For added emphasis, let me point something out to you:
Eve is a niche game for mature gamers. Most people will not like it for this.

Reply #24 Posted: September 15, 2007, 12:20:44 am