Topic: Samsung Galaxy Tab or iPad?

Offline Nyan

• Addicted
  • Nyan has no influence.
I'm having a hard time deciding between the two. Both come in at $1400 give or take a few dollars.

The main uses will be reading ebooks, watching movies and listening to music, But also web browsing and texting.  Some things point toward the Samsung such as the screen quality and the portability of the device.  The iPad however has 64GB of storage, a 10 inch screen (lower ppi though) and has an entire app store for it.

I'm leaning towards the iPad even though I'm not really a fan of apple products.

What would your thoughts be?

Posted: February 13, 2011, 09:22:39 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
Whole new swag of tablets being released running Android Gingerbread and WebOS, and the new iPad isn't far off (a couple of months at the latest).

I'd wait. I hate saying wait as I am a firm believer in if you want something now, and it will work for you then go for it. But I think you should really wait because the market is going to open up big time.

Reply #1 Posted: February 13, 2011, 09:28:05 pm

Offline .osiRiS

• Administrator
  • .osiRiS is a rising star!.osiRiS is a rising star!.osiRiS is a rising star!.osiRiS is a rising star!.osiRiS is a rising star!.osiRiS is a rising star!
Galaxy Tab 2 is being announced in the next few hours however I still think Apple have done majority things right with the iPad.

Reply #2 Posted: February 13, 2011, 10:14:12 pm

Offline Nyan

• Addicted
  • Nyan has no influence.
Okay, Im going to invercargill for a week over easter, hopefully they will be out then.

Reply #3 Posted: February 13, 2011, 10:15:01 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
  • Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.
eee PC, faster, more functionality, cheaper, less gimmicky
Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 04:53:39 pm by Bell

Reply #4 Posted: February 15, 2011, 04:51:26 pm

Offline vedds

• Devoted Member
  • vedds has no influence.
I swear by my ipad now, I bought it overseas and was intending to flog it on tardme for a profit to some helpless iLemming.
COuldnt resist taking it out of the box and having a play, subsequently I have kept it and wouldnt be without it now.

I think they got the Form factor spot on - thats what concerns me with the galaxy.

Reply #5 Posted: February 15, 2011, 05:18:33 pm

Offline toofast

• Addicted
  • toofast barely matters.toofast barely matters.
Quote from: Bell;1360308
eee PC, faster, more functionality, cheaper, less gimmicky

This.

I dont know why people go so wild over tablets. They aren't very useful compared to similar eee pcs.

Reply #6 Posted: February 15, 2011, 05:45:26 pm

Offline Nyan

• Addicted
  • Nyan has no influence.

Reply #7 Posted: February 15, 2011, 11:55:40 pm

Offline Pe_Pa_Possum

• Just settled in
  • Pe_Pa_Possum has no influence.
The HP DM1Z is also a good netbook, about the same specs as that asus, but is currently only in the US. The nz store has the DM1, which is the older model.

I'm waiting for the DM1Z to come out here

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/series/category/notebooks/dm1z_series/3/computer_store
http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/17/hp-pavilion-dm1z-with-amd-fusion-review/

Reply #8 Posted: February 16, 2011, 01:08:02 am

Offline BerG

• Terminator

• BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.
Quote from: toofast;1360324
This.

I dont know why people go so wild over tablets. They aren't very useful compared to similar eee pcs.

Really? So eee pcs are better for:

Quote from: AcidBurn;1359754
reading ebooks, watching movies and listening to music,

Reply #9 Posted: February 16, 2011, 08:15:38 am

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: toofast;1360324
This.

Isn't a eee pc just a netbook? That's completely different to a tablet.

I dont know why people go so wild over bicycles. They aren't very useful compared to similar cars.

Reply #10 Posted: February 16, 2011, 08:32:45 am

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
I saw this break down..... put it pretty simply for me.

iPad = consume content = fun
Netbook = make content = work

AB wants to consume, therefore iPad IMO.

Reply #11 Posted: February 16, 2011, 08:47:15 am
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

Offline BerG.

• Just settled in
  • BerG. has no influence.
What the hell is a 'similar eee pc' anyway? One with no keyboard and a touchscreen?

You guys are as bad as the ones that slammed Apple for releasing a phone with no physical keyboard.

Reply #12 Posted: February 16, 2011, 09:00:51 am
Somewhere, somehow, someone\'s going to pay (for making avatars smaller)

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
I think you should get either a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 or an iPad.

I hope I have made your decision easier.

Reply #13 Posted: February 16, 2011, 09:12:50 am

Offline Plasma

• Addicted
  • Plasma is working their way up.Plasma is working their way up.Plasma is working their way up.
iPad, due to the app store.

Reply #14 Posted: February 16, 2011, 09:21:24 am

Offline Speakman

• Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!
The Galaxy Tab 2 is the same size as the ipad isn't it?

Reply #15 Posted: February 16, 2011, 09:55:55 am
Quote from: Mellcor
i had kinda hope speakman had died, what a pity

Offline Spoonguard

• Addicted
  • Spoonguard has no influence.
Both are fairly useless, but it will take you longer to realise this with the iPad.

Reply #16 Posted: February 16, 2011, 11:47:35 am
        and nothing of value was lost.

Offline Xenolightning

• Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Spoonguard;1360530
Both are fairly useless, but it will take you longer to realise this with the iPad.

Likes this post

Reply #17 Posted: February 16, 2011, 12:17:42 pm
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline Bell

• Addicted
  • Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.
Quote from: BerG;1360447
Really? So eee pcs are better for:

Pretty much the same, if you find it that fucking difficult to press the down key when reading a book or use the mouse to click on the little music of movie icon then I guess an Ipad is a big advantage.
Otherwise it's just an expensive wanky toy you are buying not for its functionality but for its coolness factor and fashionableness.

So with that in mind I say buy and IPad since people will think it is cooler than that other thing they have never heard of, and really that's all that matters.
Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 12:46:54 pm by Bell

Reply #18 Posted: February 16, 2011, 12:40:18 pm

Quote from: Bell;1360550
Pretty much the same, if you find it that fucking difficult to press the down key when reading a book or use the mouse to click on the little music of movie icon then I guess an Ipad is a big advantage.
Otherwise it's just a wanky toy that you have overpayed for because it has a touch screen and everyone jerk off seems to think its cool to have one.

A mouse, if you need to plug a mouse in, then it's not portable in the same way a tablet is. You need a flat surface to use a mouse.

Tablets defiantly have valid uses, for situations were you have to use it walking around, I can think of many work related situations where a touchscreen is far superior to a mouse.

Reply #19 Posted: February 16, 2011, 12:47:43 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
I meant touchpad not mouse.

Noones really going to walk around watching a movie, reading a book, emailing or web browsing.
I agree there are some work situations where tablets are handy and that's traditionally been a tablets role.
But the ipad is definitely a consumer item marketed at people who like its cool factor who are going to use it in their home sitting down.
Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 12:55:33 pm by Bell

Reply #20 Posted: February 16, 2011, 12:51:54 pm

Offline Spoonguard

• Addicted
Quote from: Spacemonkey;1360553
A mouse, if you need to plug a mouse in, then it's not portable in the same way a tablet is. You need a flat surface to use a mouse.

Tablets defiantly have valid uses, for situations were you have to use it walking around, I can think of many work related situations where a touchscreen is far superior to a mouse.

Really? List them.

They make eeePCs now that have touch screens. And they are comparable in price to iPads. The battery life isn't as good, but then again that would be because it can do useful work with the battery. And it doesn't need itoons.

Reply #21 Posted: February 16, 2011, 12:58:00 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
Stock management or stock-taking in a large warehouse is a great use for a tablet.

Reply #22 Posted: February 16, 2011, 01:01:38 pm

Offline Spoonguard

• Addicted
Quote from: Bell;1360564
Stock management or stock-taking in a large warehouse is a great use for a tablet.

So not an iPad then, since the iPad doesn't have a USB host that you could attach a scanner to.

Reply #23 Posted: February 16, 2011, 01:07:57 pm

I said tablets, not Ipads.

Reply #24 Posted: February 16, 2011, 01:10:36 pm