Topic: Samsung Galaxy Tab or iPad?

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
when I browse (sans forums) i very rarely have to type...... bookmarks... WOW COMPUTERS TABLETS CAN DO THAT??

Last I checked, iPad could bookmark sites..... but maybe with bookmarks being a high end user ability, maybe it cant...... certainly seems out of your league SG

Reply #50 Posted: February 16, 2011, 03:56:06 pm
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

Offline Bell

• Addicted
  • Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.
In conclusion.

If you want to read e-book: Buy a kindle
If you want to watch movies: Buy a big fucking tv
If you want to surf the web: buy a laptop.

If you want to read an e-book watch movies, surf the web on one device sitting down: buy a laptop
If you want to read an e-book watch movies, surf the web and send emails standing up: buy a tablet

I like to sit down, so i'll enjoy my extra money and you can enjoy standing up with your tablet.

Reply #51 Posted: February 16, 2011, 03:57:41 pm

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Bell;1360645
In conclusion.

If you want to read e-book: Buy a kindle
If you want to watch movies: Buy a big fucking tv
If you want to surf the web: buy a laptop.

If you want to read an e-book watch movies, surf the web on one device while sitting down: buy a laptop
If you want to read an e-book watch movies, surf the web and send emails while standing up: buy a tablet

Indeed. We are all in agreement then.

Reply #52 Posted: February 16, 2011, 03:59:10 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
  • Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.
I look forward to seeing you sitting down with your ipad.

Reply #53 Posted: February 16, 2011, 04:00:17 pm

Offline BerG.

• Just settled in
  • BerG. has no influence.
Correct, with the following mods-

If you want to do those things sitting down WITH A DESK- buy a laptop.

If you want to do those things sitting down- buy an iPad.

If you don't get much attention from the ladies and want a warm sensation in the groin while doing those things while sitting down, buy a laptop.

Reply #54 Posted: February 16, 2011, 04:02:46 pm
Somewhere, somehow, someone\'s going to pay (for making avatars smaller)

Offline Bell

• Addicted
Once again I reiterate, I have no desk and use a 17inch laptop, there are no groin sensations due to outward facing fans.
My house mates all use netbooks on the couch and those things put out like no heat and weigh nothing.

Although having a laptop that size on your lap is only recommended for people as manly as me.
Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 04:07:54 pm by Bell

Reply #55 Posted: February 16, 2011, 04:04:59 pm

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
  • Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.
Quote from: Bell;1360624

I take it on planes

I bet you take it other places you're not telling....

that's about all I have to offer to this thread.
I love physical books, the tactile pleasure and even the smell.

Enjoy your eyestrain, AB ;)

Reply #56 Posted: February 16, 2011, 04:06:26 pm
Recycle your red poppies, paint them white, and wear them throughout the year.

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
How much did your 'laptop of doom' cost bell?

Reply #57 Posted: February 16, 2011, 04:07:28 pm
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline BerG.

• Just settled in
  • BerG. has no influence.
Quote from: Bell;1360651
Once again I reiterate, I have no desk and use a 17inch laptop, there are no groin sensations due to outward facing fans.
My house mates all use netbooks on the couch and those things put out like no heat and

I know, but as you can see from this thread, you are special.

I used to do that as well, in the old days.

I think this thread is done for now. We shall return in 5 years to see who is still using a laptop on the couch and thinks it's more comfortable than a tablet.

Reply #58 Posted: February 16, 2011, 04:08:43 pm
Somewhere, somehow, someone\'s going to pay (for making avatars smaller)

Offline Bell

• Addicted
$1500

I'm not saying buy a fucking huge laptop instead of an Ipad, I was just replying to arguments that laptops cant be used on the couch.
If I can do it with that fucking thing Im pretty sure a small child could do that with an eee-pc without getting uncomfortable.

In 5 years we will all still be typing input with tactile keyboards not touch screens and so I'll still be using a laptop of some form.
I'll prob have a collection of e-books on some form of e-ink reader tho.

Pop-quiz: who in this thread has replied with an ipad?
Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 04:14:25 pm by Bell

Reply #59 Posted: February 16, 2011, 04:08:46 pm

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Bell;1360649
I look forward to seeing you sitting down with your ipad.

Why?

A tablet allows you to do those things sitting down or standing up.

A laptop only allows you to do those things sitting down.

Reply #60 Posted: February 16, 2011, 04:10:33 pm

Offline Growler

what's that funny thing under the trackpad on that behemoth of a laptop?

Reply #61 Posted: February 16, 2011, 04:14:33 pm
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline Spoonguard

• Addicted
  • Spoonguard has no influence.
Quote from: Growler;1360643
when I browse (sans forums) i very rarely have to type...... bookmarks... WOW COMPUTERS TABLETS CAN DO THAT??

Last I checked, iPad could bookmark sites..... but maybe with bookmarks being a high end user ability, maybe it cant...... certainly seems out of your league SG

I am guessing you don't have many bookmarks

did you post this from your iPad?

Reply #62 Posted: February 16, 2011, 04:14:57 pm
        and nothing of value was lost.

Offline Bell

• Addicted
Quote from: Spacemonkey;1360659
Why?

A tablet allows you to do those things sitting down or standing up.

A laptop only allows you to do those things sitting down.

You won't be standing up though, I know lots of people with ipads not once have I seen one of them using it standing up ;)

Reply #63 Posted: February 16, 2011, 04:16:11 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
Quote from: Growler;1360661
what's that funny thing under the trackpad on that behemoth of a laptop?

I think you are referring to the mouse-buttons?

Reply #64 Posted: February 16, 2011, 04:16:46 pm

Offline Growler

I dont own a iPad.... yet.... im very tempted, will all depend on if Nikon adds BT to their cameras and the support from there.

I own a mac book pro, imacs and custom built pcs. Still when im browsing, very little need for a keyboard, I can't see any clear major disadvantage that the iPad would have there.

Reply #65 Posted: February 16, 2011, 04:19:37 pm
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline Growler

Quote from: Bell;1360666
I think you are referring to the mouse-buttons?

Mouse buttons should be on the mouse....... ; )

Reply #66 Posted: February 16, 2011, 04:20:42 pm
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline Bell

• Addicted
They are tactile feedback pressure sensors, pretty fancy stuff.

Reply #67 Posted: February 16, 2011, 04:26:17 pm

Offline Spoonguard

• Addicted
Quote from: Growler;1360667
I dont own a iPad.... yet.... im very tempted, will all depend on if Nikon adds BT to their cameras and the support from there.

I own a mac book pro, imacs and custom built pcs. Still when im browsing, very little need for a keyboard, I can't see any clear major disadvantage that the iPad would have there.

why would you want to connect a camera to a ipad? it already has a camera!

Quote from: Bell;1360675
They are tactile feedback pressure sensors, pretty fancy stuff.

but are they useful for anything

Reply #68 Posted: February 16, 2011, 04:43:00 pm

Offline Growler

DSLR and tethered 'wireless' shooting.

would be very sexy with an iPad. (if the current support was expanded). Yes a eeepc or laptop could do it too if it was BT. but the ipad software already available is just pure bliss to use, and cheap!

Reply #69 Posted: February 16, 2011, 04:59:56 pm
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline Spoonguard

• Addicted
Quote from: Growler;1360700
DSLR and tethered 'wireless' shooting.

would be very sexy with an iPad. (if the current support was expanded). Yes a eeepc or laptop could do it too if it was BT. but the ipad software already available is just pure bliss to use, and cheap!

software to do what, forgive my ignorance. And the ipad is hardly cheap compared to even a touchscreen netbook...

Reply #70 Posted: February 16, 2011, 05:03:46 pm

Quote from: Spoonguard;1360701
software to do what, forgive my ignorance. And the ipad is hardly cheap compared to even a touchscreen netbook...

To look at photos I would guess.

Reply #71 Posted: February 16, 2011, 05:15:49 pm

Offline Growler

Software for complete tethered wireless DSLR shooting. Think of it as RDC to the DSLR, and being able to control every aspect of the camera. But until tehy put BT in the cameras its still a 'wish'.

As for cheap, I meant the software, $20, as opposed to $200-$5000 to run on a win/osx platform. (for a good piece of software)

Reply #72 Posted: February 16, 2011, 05:38:39 pm
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline Bell

• Addicted
Can you get motorised tripods?

Reply #73 Posted: February 16, 2011, 05:47:58 pm

Offline BerG

• Terminator

• BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.
I just took a huge dump in the toilet while browsing the net on my laptop.

Was not ideal.

Reply #74 Posted: February 16, 2011, 05:50:32 pm