Topic: Black Screen of death

Offline mogiman

• Just settled in
  • mogiman has no influence.
doesnt matter what vga drivers i install even after fresh install win 7 keep getting black-sod, gigabyte 7850 oc anyone had this trouble what did you do to fix any help please ,And if your trolling dont bother as youll be picking on the wrong guy on the wrong day!!!
Help Please

Posted: January 19, 2013, 10:51:24 pm
Mogiman gaming since you were a twinkle in ya dads eyes

Offline BeNZene

• Forum Admin
  • BeNZene might someday be someone...BeNZene might someday be someone...BeNZene might someday be someone...BeNZene might someday be someone...
A) Have a look at the crash logs/dumps using this:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

Any common thread to what is crashing?

B) Is it a BSOD under load, is it random, is it a certain amount of time?

C) Do you get any warning the crash is coming? (eg corruption on the screen)

Reply #1 Posted: January 19, 2013, 11:27:38 pm

Offline Emrico1

• Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!
Does it black screen (nothing coming up at all) or actually blue screen (error messages)?

What other hardware do you have?
What happens to cause the crash ie: I am gaming and it freezes?

Can you remove your Graphics card and restart?

Sounds like hardware failure of some kind rather than windows (you have isolated that with a reformat).

Reply #2 Posted: January 19, 2013, 11:38:48 pm

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
  • Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!
Don't troll guys, it's the wrong day for it ;)

In all seriousness, Try a different monitor? I have no clue what your problem is, but I know that my current monitor can't handle changing resolutions. Screen just goes black and says "No signal input", Have to alt tab a bunch of times until it finally uses the different res.

Reply #3 Posted: January 20, 2013, 05:06:40 am
Top Geary - 27th May 2016 at 12:10 AM
I've learnt to ignore when you say derogatory things to me

Offline Nostargate

• Addicted
  • Nostargate barely matters.Nostargate barely matters.
Is it turned on at the wall?

Reply #4 Posted: January 20, 2013, 08:32:09 am

Offline mogiman

• Just settled in
OK thanks for replies ,except for trolls .I...
Asus m5a99x evo motherboard,amd fx8120 8core 3.1,16bg corsair vengeance,320gb sata hdd,gigabyte 7850 oc gpu,had other hdds but removed all to do fresh install win 7 home premium about to re-install 5770 to test if the has same problem,thinking 7850 my need new bios update but reluctant to do this as if faulty card i want to rtb for warranty
Problem only happens when installing catalyst cc ,drivers etc ,have tried older newer drivers auto detect etc, from amd ati sites ,will install drivers but on restart bios comes up windows logo then black screen no mouse pointer no ( ctrl alt del ) can only hard reboot ouch !!. Was working well untill two weeks ago then all went to s@#$
Will boot into safe mode no probs ,not a monitor prob as ive used a 19 4.3 ,22 wide,28 tv hdmi
Anyone using this card had same proplems
Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 12:34:02 pm by mogiman

Reply #5 Posted: January 20, 2013, 12:29:59 pm

Offline Emrico1

• Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!
Sounds to me like the card has shat itsself.

When you install the drivers, it starts using the card rather than onboard (I think) and then the card farts out everything.
My bet is the 5770 will be fine and you'll need to send the card back for testing.

Hope that helps.

Reply #6 Posted: January 20, 2013, 01:18:19 pm

Offline mogiman

• Just settled in
just about to install drivers for 5770 let you know thanks for reply

Reply #7 Posted: January 20, 2013, 01:22:10 pm

Offline BeNZene

• Forum Admin
  • BeNZene might someday be someone...BeNZene might someday be someone...BeNZene might someday be someone...BeNZene might someday be someone...
Just to be clear, what is the problem?  Is it that when you install the video driver for your 7850 it crashes during the install?  Or is it that after installing the drivers, on restart there is only a blackscreen after the windows logo? (Or is it something else?)

Reply #8 Posted: January 20, 2013, 01:24:11 pm

Offline mogiman

• Just settled in
on restart there is only a blackscreen after the windows logo?
just flogged my old card out of the kids puter 5770 installed drivers works perfect pretty sure card must be poo but going to install in other puter to check that no conflict with mb

Reply #9 Posted: January 20, 2013, 01:35:24 pm

Offline Emrico1

Good idea bru. $5 says, it does the same thing...

Reply #10 Posted: January 20, 2013, 01:39:12 pm

Offline mogiman

• Just settled in
$5 says you were correct
Right card must be poo as kids puter running vista found card then uninstalled and I re-installed drivers and low and behold on restart same thing black screen after win logo and kids puter near shat itself,  had all sorts of probs had to un-plug ,clr cmos ,pull out battery ,before it would see the 5770 again .
Their puter is all good now.
Put 7850 back in mine same happened ,black screen after win logo
oh well at least Im working in safe mode,otherwise would had tied it on a rope and towed it behind the motorbike for a few blocks might have made me feel a bit better???
although now in safe mode gpu is showing up in device manager where as before it was reverting back to win vga
Who bloody knows anyway Im going to take it back too Computer Lounge as card is only 2 1/2 month old.
thanks to those who tried to help Cheers
still post if you have had this prob as it my help others
Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 04:12:58 pm by mogiman

Reply #11 Posted: January 20, 2013, 04:07:30 pm

Offline Emrico1

Oh well, good luck with the RMA dude.

Reply #12 Posted: January 20, 2013, 06:52:55 pm

Offline flyingpuffin

• I Posted!
  • flyingpuffin has no influence.
Yeah deffo a dud card by the sounds. :( Good luck!

Reply #13 Posted: January 20, 2013, 11:47:37 pm

Offline GRIM

• Addicted
  • GRIM has no influence.
One last thing.. see if theres a windows update for that card, sometimes it overrides any driver that gets installed

Reply #14 Posted: January 21, 2013, 09:36:41 pm
Its over rover.