Topic: monpepe upgrade v2.0

Offline monpepe

• Devoted Member
  • monpepe has no influence.
Hi,

Its time for me to upgrade my PC. I know nothing about computers so I post here for help. These are my thoughts.

Current setup:

64 gb SSD - Runs operatiing system and some stuff. PC boot time takes a while now though.
8 Gb Ram - DDR3
CPU - Intel 2500k
Mobo - Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3
GPU - Gigabyte SO 580
500GB HD - Games and stuff on here
Xonar sound Card
PSU - Corsair 750 w
Keyboard - 20 buck one
Mouse - Sensai
Headphones - need new ones

Current issues:

Boot time on PC is very slow now.
When I play BF3 some times the graphics go funny and get artifacts and flashing (not all the time).
Have to run my mic via mobo and heaphones via sound card
Headphones almost falling apart
Using a 20 dollar logitech keyboard that is almost dead.

Upgrade questions/help:

I want to upgrade my CPU but for one of the new ones, do I need a new Mobo? What would be the best bang for buck CPU and Mobo combo if so? (I dont want to OC) prefer intel.

GPU uprade I am leaning towards a 770. However, is there a major difference between 770 and 760? BF4 (played competitively) will be my primary game but will play others. Games tend to not be run on high to allow for max frames.

I believe my PSU is fine so will keep as well as my ram. Or is more ram needed now? DDR higher?

SSD upgarde to 120GD or higher? Maybe better stuff out there now?

Keyboard - Going mech and will prob get a ducky.

Headphones - AD 700's still seem good so will get them. Unless there is a better equiv out there now.

Is a new sound card needed or mobo fine. Note - use PC for music, movies and games only.

Anything else?

Suggestions on stuff would be helpful.

Posted: September 11, 2013, 01:54:08 pm

Offline Xenolightning

• Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: monpepe;1531397
Current issues:

Boot time on PC is very slow now. Reinstall Windows
When I play BF3 some times the graphics go funny and get artifacts and flashing (not all the time). Could be drivers or a faulty GFX card
Have to run my mic via mobo and heaphones via sound card Why?
Using a 20 dollar logitech keyboard that is almost dead. Get a mechanical keyboard

Upgrade questions/help:

I want to upgrade my CPU but for one of the new ones, do I need a new Mobo? If you want THE newest, then yes. But your motherboard can support anything up to Ivy bridge i7-3XXX
What would be the best bang for buck CPU and Mobo combo if so? (I dont want to OC) prefer intel. Probably a i5-4670 + any mid range motherboard you like the look of (they're all very similar now)

GPU uprade I am leaning towards a 770. However, is there a major difference between 770 and 760? BF4 (played competitively) will be my primary game but will play others. Games tend to not be run on high to allow for max frames. Get a 770, if you are anything like me the smooth framerate is as important as being able to load the game. The 760 will more than likely dip under 60fps

I believe my PSU is fine so will keep as well as my ram. Or is more ram needed now? DDR higher? PSU + RAM is fine

SSD upgarde to 120GD or higher? Maybe better stuff out there now? Get a 256GB or higher, Samsung/Intel Pref

Keyboard - Going mech and will prob get a ducky. Yes, I also highly recommend the CMStorm (I have one)

Headphones - AD 700's still seem good so will get them. Unless there is a better equiv out there now. Yes, or the 700X if you prefer closed (better for lans)

Is a new sound card needed or mobo fine. Note - use PC for music, movies and games only. Onboard does pretty well nowadays, if you are happy with what your current onboard does then don't bother.

Anything else? Leave OGA, and join a decent clan :P

Suggestions on stuff would be helpful.

In saying all of that^

You won't see much gain from replacing you CPU/Motherboard. See here

If you were prepared to upgrade the lot. Splash out for a GTX780 :D

Links to come...:
Headphones (Closed): http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=20287
Headphones (Open): http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=16112
SSD: http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=20154
Soundcard: http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=16979
GFX Card: http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=19622
Keyboard: Any ducky or http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=16842
Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 08:57:16 pm by Xenolightning

Reply #1 Posted: September 11, 2013, 08:40:09 pm
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline monpepe

• Devoted Member
  • monpepe has no influence.
Thanks. will keep coy and mono.

Where do I find a decent clip on mic

Reply #2 Posted: September 11, 2013, 08:53:59 pm

Offline Xenolightning

• Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: monpepe;1531422
Thanks. will keep coy and mono.

Where do I find a decent clip on mic
Not sure, but I went through about 4 clip on mics, including the "highly rated" Zalman. And I found all of them shit.

I upgraded to a Desktop Microphone, never looked back.

Reply #3 Posted: September 11, 2013, 09:05:07 pm
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline EnjoyTheSauce

• Devoted Member
  • EnjoyTheSauce is working their way up.EnjoyTheSauce is working their way up.EnjoyTheSauce is working their way up.
I assume you get the same issue as me with my xonar in that when you're playing games and the graphics card starts pumping then you get terrible interference with ya mic (i assume when you aren't gaming that your mic sounds fine to others?). If this is the case then all you can do is try to shield the sound card or to ditch the xonar.

Reply #4 Posted: September 11, 2013, 10:52:23 pm
Related to *juice*. The Orz like *sauce*, which they seem to acquire through killing: "After the *dancing*, Orz think you will make good *special sauce*. Maybe even for other Orz *party*." It would seem this is likely to be something sinister. The Orz apparently wish those who take part in *parties* to enjoy the *sauce*, as in the above quote, or in their parting words from random encounters: "Do not forget to *enjoy the sauce*."