Topic: Orcons Fast30 Fibre Unlimited

Offline Fobinator

• Just settled in
  • Fobinator has no influence.
Hi Guys

Is anyone on the Orcon Fast30 or Fast100 Unlimited plans? Do you experience much throttling of your speeds and latency issues during busy times?

I am very weary of "unlimited" - But I am also very frugal

http://www.orcon.net.nz/external/genius/geniusfibresep12.php?addressverified=1&keepprequal=1&samid=9673

Cheers

Posted: September 12, 2013, 12:37:56 am

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
I'm with Orcon, however fibre is not available at my address yet. And that makes me sad :(

We are on an older 200GB ADSL plan. I have considered moving to the unlimited plan (for the same price), but I have never hit the 200gb cap, so I don't see much advantage.

The unlimited plans are in a different swimming pool to fixed plans, as is explained below.

To make sure that people who are downloading heaps don’t adversely affect our fixed data plan customers we have two ‘pools’ of bandwidth. One for the people on the unlimited plan, one for all the rest.  We have based the size of these “pools” on estimated average customer usage.
 So if people on the unlimited plans start downloading more than we expect (especially during busy times like in the evening), all people in the unlimited pool may see speeds drop temporarily. This is done so that the usage by customers on unlimited plans doesn’t affect the speed and network performance of customers on fixed data plans.

Reply #1 Posted: September 12, 2013, 09:23:57 am

Offline BigBoss

• Addicted
  • BigBoss has no influence.
I was on the unlimited Fast 100 plan until i moved to an area with no Fibre ><

Never had problems with lag or throttled speeds ... however It was very new and I cant imagine many people in my area were on board yet, so I don't know if it may have been because of that.

Reply #2 Posted: September 12, 2013, 09:37:02 am

BigBoss   -   SacrificialLamb   -   Snake™

Offline Fobinator

• Just settled in
  • Fobinator has no influence.
Thank you for your feedback - I am in the same boat, within Dunedin there is only a few areas that are eligible (University and Main Street) for fiber and I'm quite fortunate.. It is good to hear that you didn't experience too much throttling - we average about 150gb per month in our house hold so we're not taking advantage of the system per ce, however I do get nervous about these "unlimited" plans as the move we made to slingshots unlimited was god aweful!

To be fair, even at the lowest fiber speed, it would be faster that what I'm currently on!

Reply #3 Posted: September 12, 2013, 11:18:52 pm

Offline Aloysius

• Just settled in
  • Aloysius has no influence.
On a semi-related note: Some workers in high vis vests appear to be digging trenches in preparation to lay out some fibre. Yet all the websites say its not available in my area and an unknown timeframe for it to available.

Anyone know what the dealio is?

Reply #4 Posted: September 27, 2013, 08:13:08 pm

Offline Speakman

• Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!
flick me a PM with your address dude, I'll see what I can find on Monday (work for Snap!)

Reply #5 Posted: September 27, 2013, 09:26:41 pm
Quote from: Mellcor
i had kinda hope speakman had died, what a pity

Offline Plasma

• Addicted
  • Plasma is working their way up.Plasma is working their way up.Plasma is working their way up.
Quote from: Spacemonkey;1531440
I'm with Orcon, however fibre is not available at my address yet. And that makes me sad :(

We are on an older 200GB ADSL plan. I have considered moving to the unlimited plan (for the same price), but I have never hit the 200gb cap, so I don't see much advantage.

The unlimited plans are in a different swimming pool to fixed plans, as is explained below.

Also with Orcon and have one of their legacy plans (1TB), from what I've heard you shouldn't notice any throttling unless your using bittorrent or some other P2P rubbish in the evenings.

Reply #6 Posted: September 28, 2013, 08:14:44 am