Topic: Ordered upgrade kit, need install advice

Offline bigROBOTbill

• Addicted
  • bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.
Hi team I bought myself a R280x a wee while back now I've just ordered an upgrade bundle

this from Playtech:
AMD FX-8350 Vishera 4.0GHz (4.2GHz Turbo) Eight-Core Desktop Processor
Gigabyte GA-970A-D3P Motherboard
G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 Desktop Memory

What steps will ensure the motherboard will install properly, I'd really like to not have to reinstall windows if possible...

Posted: January 21, 2014, 11:00:27 am

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
playtech... booooo hissssss boooo

Reply #1 Posted: January 21, 2014, 11:01:49 am
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

Offline bigROBOTbill

• Addicted
  • bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.
Yeah I know, shush.

Reply #2 Posted: January 21, 2014, 11:05:10 am

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
Install the mobo drivers before you swap them out.

Also make a restore point!

Reply #3 Posted: January 21, 2014, 11:06:40 am
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline han16

• Addicted
  • han16 has no influence.
I'd never recommend not installing a fresh unmolested copy of windows with a new motherboard.
Every time I couldn't be arsed it would be a few months later that I was doing the full reinstall anyways after weird and interesting things started happening, mostly do with drivers crashing or all of sudden forgetting how to computer.

My advice would be to wipe and start again now. Do it once, do it right.

Reply #4 Posted: January 21, 2014, 11:12:07 am
Reverse Jihad Tank Extraordinaire

Offline Arseynimz

• Administrator
  • Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!
I'd never recommend not installing a fresh unmolested copy of windows with a new motherboard.
Every time I couldn't be arsed it would be a few months later that I was doing the full reinstall anyways after weird and interesting things started happening, mostly do with drivers crashing or all of sudden forgetting how to computer.

My advice would be to wipe and start again now. Do it once, do it right.

This.

I think a number of us all reinstall religiously anyway. Get in to the habit, it means you don't clusterfuck your system with too much crap, and you start to see what programs you do and don't use. You also gather a nice repository of the programs and drivers you need for each install, and after having the same hardware for a few years, it's like clockwork when you do it, and you go from having a 2-3 day reinstall process to getting it done in a few hours on a Sunday afternoon, and you're back playing before night falls.

Reply #5 Posted: January 21, 2014, 11:45:23 am
Maybe if i just click this.....shit...DV gonna be maaaaad!

Offline han16

• Addicted
I have external HD setup with all the needed bits and pieces along with all my steam/games/other shite on other hard drives, a full reinstall takes less than an hour (the SSD plays a big part of that too).

OP, do you have windows on a separate drive/partition or is it all one big cluster fuck?

Reply #6 Posted: January 21, 2014, 11:50:01 am

Offline BeNZene

• Forum Admin
  • BeNZene might someday be someone...BeNZene might someday be someone...BeNZene might someday be someone...BeNZene might someday be someone...
Things that really help swift regular reinstalls and/or upgrades:
- All your drivers downloaded in advance
- Windows media on a bootable USB (so much faster, and you can add subfolders with drivers and stuff)
- Another PC, ideally set up next to it, so that you can download additional drivers and google if you hit problems
- Ninite  (ninite.com) to install lots of those small apps quickly

I also think that you will get more comfortable doing it if you have:
- A system for storing passwords so they don't get deleted when you reinstall;
- Partitions or seperate drives to split your data from your OS, which minimises those "OH SHIT" deletion moments, and helps with taking...
- An image of the OS partition that you keep for a month or two after a reinstall, so that if you do accidentally lose something you need you can get it back.

Reply #7 Posted: January 21, 2014, 11:59:51 am

Offline Growler

Windows 8 makes this a complete breeze by the way.

Reply #8 Posted: January 21, 2014, 12:03:33 pm
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline Nostargate

• Addicted
  • Nostargate barely matters.Nostargate barely matters.
Dont forget to use bacon during instal.

Reply #9 Posted: January 21, 2014, 12:09:32 pm

Offline winter

• Addicted
  • winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!
I still need to grab a copy of Win8 - but yeah, totes on the bandwagon of reinstalling windows.. worth it in the long run with less weird driver shit going down!

Reply #10 Posted: January 21, 2014, 12:10:56 pm

Offline han16

• Addicted

Rub bacon juice on ones chest whilst installing for the best effect?

Reply #11 Posted: January 21, 2014, 12:13:13 pm

Offline bigROBOTbill

• Addicted
You are all wise beyond your years!
I shall wait till the weekend to do a clean install then.

I do have a separate drive with all my pics and music etc on it. I use Mozbackup for email and browser.

So what steps do I take after the install of MB, install win8 first then MB drivers or vice versa.

Also someone posted somewhere about steps to take to avoid the whole download and install of the BF4 upgrades etc afterwards

Reply #12 Posted: January 21, 2014, 12:34:01 pm

Offline Growler

if you have win 8, you will very likely not need a lot of the drivers,

Reply #13 Posted: January 21, 2014, 12:42:35 pm
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline Nostargate

• Addicted
  • Nostargate barely matters.Nostargate barely matters.

Rub bacon juice on ones chest whilst installing for the best effect?

I'll rub yours.

Reply #14 Posted: January 21, 2014, 12:47:05 pm

Offline han16

• Addicted
With regard to BF4,
1/ find the origin games install directory (you can see this via the application settings in origin, under the 'advanced tab')

2/ Copy and paste the BF4 directory within that folder to another hard drive/flash drive (should be 30 something gig)

3/ After installing windows etc and reinstalling origin start the origin launcher installing BF4, it will begin downloading the game files. Let it go to 1%, then close origin completely (make sure its closed not minimized) without stopping the BF4 install.

4/ Now copy the BF4 files you moved onto the alternative storage into the new origin folder under the BF4 directory Origin would of created. If prompted just copy and replace.

5/ Reopen origin and as the installer/downloading resumes BF4 should shoot up to complete removing the need to redownload the fucker.

Disclaimer:
Origin is gay
Origin may reinstall the latest patch for no reason
This works with other titles on origin also

Reply #15 Posted: January 21, 2014, 12:53:23 pm

Offline bigROBOTbill

• Addicted
Cool, cheers Han!

Reply #16 Posted: January 21, 2014, 12:59:10 pm

Offline Zenith

• Just settled in
  • Zenith has no influence.

- Ninite  (ninite.com) to install lots of those small apps quickly

Thats Cool, I probably need to watch what I add in so as not to overfill the SSD if it uses default location.
be good when I have to fix my parents PC

Reply #17 Posted: January 21, 2014, 01:48:47 pm
 (Until I find a current one...)

Offline Lias

• Administrator
  • Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!
Cancel order
Buy from CL.
??
Profit!

Reply #18 Posted: January 21, 2014, 02:47:24 pm

Offline bigROBOTbill

• Addicted
Would they be any cheaper, they only have upgrade bundles for over a thousand bucks on their site.

Just had a quick look for the same stuff  (slightly different ram) and they ( CL ) are $70 dearer.
Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 03:13:06 pm by bigROBOTbill

Reply #19 Posted: January 21, 2014, 02:56:52 pm

Offline Lias

• Administrator
  • Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!
Would they be any cheaper, they only have upgrade bundles for over a thousand bucks on their site.

CL will often pricematch if asked. Especially against gaytech.

Reply #20 Posted: January 21, 2014, 03:05:46 pm

Offline bigROBOTbill

• Addicted

I feel I shouldn't need to ask.

Reply #21 Posted: January 21, 2014, 03:14:02 pm

Offline Arseynimz

• Administrator
  • Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!

I feel I shouldn't need to ask.

Always ask - it's your right as a customer in this day and age.

PB will easily supply you a price matched option if they have stock (and are highly likely to given the size of their operation), and CL will if you ask nicely.

GS has no specific affiliation (as yet), so we don't recommend anyone, but just go for price and support. If you do get that mobo or RAM that is slightly shitty, then you want to be able to rock in on Sunday at 2:30 and get a replacement without them testing it first to prove you are right.

gl hf dude, sounds like you have a plan in the bag!

Reply #22 Posted: January 21, 2014, 03:27:56 pm
Maybe if i just click this.....shit...DV gonna be maaaaad!

Offline Growler

send me your money and I will buy it from china, much reliable, such warranty, very wow!

Reply #23 Posted: January 21, 2014, 03:44:23 pm
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline Plasma

• Addicted
  • Plasma is working their way up.Plasma is working their way up.Plasma is working their way up.
So whats wrong with playtech ? I remember once saying I wasn't buying BF3 from them I got anal raped by BF nerds.

Reply #24 Posted: January 21, 2014, 03:54:32 pm