Topic: Speaking of backups/ hard drive failure

Offline Spork

• Game Server Admin
  • Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.
So A few years ago I bought a couple Samsung F3 spinpoint 1tb drives as they were the cheapest at the time I think, and also it was while I was working at a PC store and it was the drive with the least amount of returns for fault.

So a couple of weeks ago one of them which I have in an external closure (hotway branded) has stopped working, not even being registered by my PC no matter how it is connected (tried different enclosures and it doesn't work and tried plugging it in internally).

When I turn the drive on, it makes a quiet beep or some other noise which lasts for five seconds, then stops for one second and this continues until I turn it off.

I tried looking for answers through Google and saw some issues with certain motherboards but mine - Asus Z87-C was not listed with an issue.

I've been looking for the receipt, however I think HDDs only have 1 year warranty? And either way it's not the drive which I'm worried about, it had a lot of useful information on it, but not really worth enough to get it looked at.

Posted: January 29, 2014, 09:55:47 pm

Offline Lias

• Administrator
  • Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!
I've been looking for the receipt, however I think HDDs only have 1 year warranty? And either way it's not the drive which I'm worried about, it had a lot of useful information on it, but not really worth enough to get it looked at.

Generally 2-5 depending ont ype. Most basic drives are 2

Reply #1 Posted: January 29, 2014, 10:07:14 pm

Offline Craigor

• Administrator
  • Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!
If you have a couple, and they are identical, swap the logic boards over, chances aren't exactly high but you might be able to get your data back

Reply #2 Posted: January 30, 2014, 12:42:20 am
<a href="steam://friends/add/76561197966242864/">Add me to Steam</a> <- Fixed! lol

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Don't try to swap platters though, that's a bad idea.

Make pretty coasters until some derp puts fingers all over them and/or they oxidise though.

Reply #3 Posted: January 30, 2014, 08:34:09 am
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.