Topic: pc upgrade and win7

Offline private_hell

• Addicted
  • private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.
I have run into the silly little problem of my win7 boot drive not booting with my new pc hardware - I should have read up first  :-[

From what I have read there is a couple of ways of fixing it - I can either plug my old parts back together and run sysprep to remove all drivers from the drive - then when it boots up it acts as thou it has been a fresh install and ican install the mobo drivers

Or I can buy a new hdd and install from scratch.

Has anyone tried the sysprep method? Will it affect partitions on the same physical drive?

Posted: March 15, 2014, 05:37:56 pm
"Let him who desires peace prepare for war" - Flavius Vegetius Renatus (375AD) De Rei Militari

Offline nevjmac

• Just settled in
  • nevjmac has no influence.
why not just fresh install?

Reply #1 Posted: March 15, 2014, 07:20:50 pm

Offline private_hell

• Addicted
  • private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.
because i didnt think it would be that big of a problem, i didnt copy data off the boot drive - so all the stuff in my documents etc would be over written with a fresh install on the current drive

Reply #2 Posted: March 15, 2014, 08:09:29 pm
"Let him who desires peace prepare for war" - Flavius Vegetius Renatus (375AD) De Rei Militari

Offline nevjmac

• Just settled in
  • nevjmac has no influence.
General rule of thumb is new mobo fresh install :)

Reply #3 Posted: March 15, 2014, 08:46:58 pm

Offline Plasma

• Addicted
  • Plasma is working their way up.Plasma is working their way up.Plasma is working their way up.
Really depends on the error your getting. But TBH re-install onto a new disk is the quickest/ less risky method

Reply #4 Posted: March 15, 2014, 08:57:15 pm

Offline ArtanisNZ

• Addicted
  • ArtanisNZ has no influence.
if you got issues just get a livecd version of something like ubuntu boot from flash drive and copy you stuff off to another drive and proceed with fresh re-install.

Reply #5 Posted: March 15, 2014, 11:06:30 pm

Offline RightHandOnly

• Just settled in
  • RightHandOnly has no influence.
sysprep is common windows tool and works well.....will certainly not make it worse.

Reply #6 Posted: March 16, 2014, 09:33:39 am
With Age comes Wisdom and Skill.......I have all 3.

I\'m so Leet , I d

Offline Lias

• Administrator
  • Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!
Try toggling the IDE mode on the bios from AHCI to legacy or vice versa depending on current setting)

Reply #7 Posted: March 16, 2014, 06:34:01 pm

Offline private_hell

• Addicted
i ended up getting a new 1tb hdd - it was only 88 bucks and was going to be the plan b but got elevated :)

Reply #8 Posted: March 16, 2014, 09:01:19 pm