Topic: stuff you can do with javascript

Offline Raydiense

• Game Server Admin
  • Raydiense has no influence.
to sum it up: school project, gotta find a list of stuff you can do with js and examples,

(and possibly do something with one of those)

getsome I need your help on this, googlz wont deliver.

Posted: February 09, 2015, 12:03:13 pm

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Write buggy websites.

Reply #1 Posted: February 09, 2015, 12:16:11 pm

Offline Xenolightning

• Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!
What?

You want a list of "stuff" you can do with JavaScript?

1) Anything you want.

Sounds like you are trying to offload your Googlefu into the hands of GetSome.

http://bit.ly/16HZcHq

Reply #2 Posted: February 09, 2015, 12:16:48 pm
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Javascript can do lots of things. Two commonly used examples are:

Form Validation:
http://www.w3schools.com/js/js_validation.asp
Code: [Select]
function validateForm() {
    var x = document.forms["myForm"]["fname"].value;
    if (x == null || x == "") {
        alert("Name must be filled out");
        return false;
    }
}
And hiding page elements
Code: [Select]
<script type="text/javascript">
function showStuff(id) {
    document.getElementById(id).style.display = 'block';
}
</script>

<td class="post">

<a href="#" onclick="showStuff('answer1'); return false;">Edit</a>
<span id="answer1" style="display: none;">
<textarea rows="10" cols="115"></textarea>
</span>

Lorem ipsum Lorem ipsum Lorem ipsum Lorem ipsum
</td>
The bigger kids in the forum can give  you more information as they use javascript for their jobs. I just teach this stuff for web design

Reply #3 Posted: February 09, 2015, 12:19:24 pm
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
What?

You want a list of "stuff" you can do with JavaScript?

1) Anything you want.
Here is a question I gave to the students in their final test. It uses an example of Javascript
edit:adding image

Two people failed to answer this question correctly. My boss told me off because it was "ambiguous"
http://tiwaking.hostzi.com/question45.html
The reasoning for the question is in the spoiler. You should probably answer the question before you check the spoiler
Spoiler :
This is a Turing Logic Question. Computers always fail to answer this question correctly.

In other words: Only a non-Human could possibly fail to answer this question correctly as it requires human based logic
Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 12:26:18 pm by Tiwaking!

Reply #4 Posted: February 09, 2015, 12:24:08 pm

Offline Xenolightning

• Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!
Makes sense. I answered B.

I guess because it's a radio selection it makes it easier, however if it was a check list, I'd be stumped :P

Also, note JavaScript has nothing to do with a browser, it just happens that it's the most popular client side scripting language.

Reply #5 Posted: February 09, 2015, 12:30:27 pm
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline Xsannz

• Addicted
  • Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!
we use javascript to drive integration engines data type manipulation and entire platform engines build on top of the JVM.

your imagination is really the endstop in any language, its whether or not that it is the most suitable productive way that often causes a stumbling block..

Reply #6 Posted: February 09, 2015, 12:57:11 pm

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
I coded the Matrix in javascript.

Reply #7 Posted: February 09, 2015, 01:14:37 pm

Offline Lias

• Administrator
  • Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!
They really need to rename Java Script, because my brain always has a "kill murder destroy" moment at the word Java, and even thou Java and JS are totally different things, my hatred for Java is such that it takes me 30 seconds to calm down and my brain process the fact that we're not talking about Java.

Reply #8 Posted: February 09, 2015, 01:29:45 pm

Offline Craigor

• Administrator
  • Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!
You can make a snow effect on your website at Christmas time
and then all your members can complain at you about it
so you can not do it this year
and have people complain at you that you didn't do it and how un-festive you are...

Reply #9 Posted: February 09, 2015, 01:31:27 pm
<a href="steam://friends/add/76561197966242864/">Add me to Steam</a> <- Fixed! lol

Offline Tiwaking!

and have people complain at you that you didn't do it and how un-festive you are...
Most annoying web pages put the snow effect in them during the Christmas holidays so it sets the standard level of annoyance for the season.

It is a Tyranny of the Masses. You cant win

Reply #10 Posted: February 09, 2015, 01:35:13 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
  • Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.
Ajax is the best thing about JS, use your googlefu and write about the uses of AJAX

Reply #11 Posted: February 09, 2015, 01:50:59 pm

Offline Xenolightning

It's doesn't snow in NZ (at Christmas). Next time make it a sandy beach.
Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 04:20:12 pm by Xenolightning

Reply #12 Posted: February 09, 2015, 01:52:54 pm
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Make UV rays shine from the forums, and give everyone sunburn.

Reply #13 Posted: February 09, 2015, 03:02:20 pm

Offline Lias

• Administrator
  • Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!
It's doesn't snow in NZ (at Christmas). Next time make it a sandy beach.

Goes with all the sandy vaginas people will no doubt develop because of it.

Reply #14 Posted: February 09, 2015, 05:06:46 pm

Offline Xsannz

• Addicted
  • Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!
Make UV rays shine from the forums, and give everyone sunburn.

i thought we had done that with the high contrast theme :P

just turn your monitor brightness up

Reply #15 Posted: February 09, 2015, 07:51:02 pm