Topic: Looking for a stud to screw.

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
It will come as no surprise that my handyman skills are very limited.

I'm trying to screw something to a wall, so i'm looking for the stud.

I've seen more able people locate the stud by knocking on the wall, but it all sounds the same to me.

Posted: May 07, 2015, 03:50:42 pm

Offline Xenolightning

• Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!
There's probably an app for it.

Think it's called Grindr

Reply #1 Posted: May 07, 2015, 03:57:05 pm
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline BerG

• Terminator

• BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.
It will come as no surprise that my handyman skills are very limited.

I'm trying to screw something to a wall, so i'm looking for the stud.

I've seen more able people locate the stud by knocking on the wall, but it all sounds the same to me.

Nonono. The trick is to punch the wall. When it doesnt make a hole, thats where your stud is.

Reply #2 Posted: May 07, 2015, 05:39:15 pm

Offline Gutty

• Administrator
  • Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!
lots of light finger tapping, once hard, penetrate

Reply #3 Posted: May 07, 2015, 06:39:39 pm

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
Nonono. The trick is to punch the wall. When it doesnt make a hole, thats where your stud is.

And we're only hanging pictures of babes or cars too.

Reply #4 Posted: May 07, 2015, 07:08:49 pm
"We are the majority we arent the tards, the people we pick on are." -Luse_K

Offline nevjmac

• Just settled in
  • nevjmac has no influence.
Working in the trades, makes it easier to pick out distances with your eye if you have a bit of knowledge otherwise your relying entirely on noise and it can sound the same, but you also need to be able to feel it. But I would suggest one of these below, will generally do the trick if you don't have the eye or the ear for picking out a stud.

http://www.bunnings.com.au/our-range/tools/hand-tools/measuring-tools/stud-finders

Reply #5 Posted: May 23, 2015, 10:13:32 pm

Offline mycoolcar

• Addicted
  • mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...
You can also try screwing into a knog, which is a horizontal member between studs. They are normally placed approximately 800mm and 1600mm up from the floor.

Alternatively depending on the weight of the item you are hanging could look at using a 3M command adhesive hook, which stick to things and can be removed without marking. I believe they make them which hold up to 5kg of weight.

Reply #6 Posted: May 24, 2015, 10:36:53 am

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
  • Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!
The whole knocking thing can be confusing.

Knock at an even pressure across 600mm horizontally. Eventually you'll notice the hollow echo will disappear. When you find the sweet spot where the hollow echo-ee sound doesn't exist, you've found the stud.

Conversely, if you want a slightly messy way to do it, or you are going to re-wallpaper in the future, buy a drillbit (2-3mm) and just drill random fucking holes in the general area where you are going to hang your giant wall-mounted scuplture "3 dicks and a dildo". Hopefully what ever you are hanging will cover the tiny holes.

What you are doing with the drill bit, is finding where the stud is by noticing when your drill..."falls" through. Gib (jib?) is around 10-12mm thick, with a hollow void behind it. If the drill bit goes 12mm then suddenly meets no resistance, you know the stud isn't there. If you seem to be drilling more than 12mm with resistance, you've either gone through 2.5mm TPS and are about to hear a big "BANG", or you've found the stud.

Looking at the stud finder for 35$, seems like a smart investment for future use as well. Plus it detects cables. Hopefully, no bang then.

Oh, and in case you didn't know, The lining of houses is generally a big criss-cross pattern.

Reply #7 Posted: May 25, 2015, 01:01:35 am
Top Geary - 27th May 2016 at 12:10 AM
I've learnt to ignore when you say derogatory things to me

Offline Xsannz

• Addicted
  • Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!
just get fairy to come round she always finds the stud

Reply #8 Posted: May 25, 2015, 06:31:44 am

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
Just use a spring toggle or a hollow wall anchor, unless you're hanging something super heavy these will do the job

Reply #9 Posted: May 25, 2015, 11:34:32 am
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
Have you tried updating manually updating punkbuster?
  • Go to www.evenbalance.com
  • Download the manual updater
  • Install the manual updater
  • Run the manual updater
  • manually install the update
This worked for me.

Reply #10 Posted: May 25, 2015, 07:04:32 pm
"We are the majority we arent the tards, the people we pick on are." -Luse_K

Offline Pigdog

• Just settled in
  • Pigdog has great potential!Pigdog has great potential!Pigdog has great potential!Pigdog has great potential!Pigdog has great potential!Pigdog has great potential!Pigdog has great potential!Pigdog has great potential!Pigdog has great potential!
erm

Reply #11 Posted: May 25, 2015, 09:17:02 pm