Topic: Tesla

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
I was visiting a mall in Denver and came across a Tesla showroom.

This it a pretty awesome car. Fully electric, 0 to 100 in 5.9 seconds, a range of about 450km, plugs into a standard wall outlet.

The battery takes up the entire bottom of the car, and the motors sit between the rear wheels.

Because there is no complex petrol engine, there is storage under the hood as well as in the back.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7816[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]7817[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]7818[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]7819[/ATTACH]
http://www.teslamotors.com/models/features
Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 09:35:52 am by Sire NZ CH Spacemonkey

Posted: March 18, 2013, 06:34:18 pm

Offline mycoolcar

• Addicted
  • mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...
Tell me about the snow in Denver? Do you like that shit?

Go to Vail.

Reply #1 Posted: March 18, 2013, 06:50:16 pm

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
No, I didn't like snow.

As an Aucklander, I can't handle that shit.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7820[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]7821[/ATTACH]

Reply #2 Posted: March 18, 2013, 06:55:16 pm

Offline mycoolcar

• Addicted
  • mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...
You're in the suburbs?

Go hit up 16th street. They call it a mall, but is really just a street.

Reply #3 Posted: March 18, 2013, 06:57:01 pm

Yesterday I watched the St Patricks Day parade (it sucked), then went to 16th Street for lunch (it was great).

But I'm down in south Denver for work. Going back to NZ on Wednesday.

Reply #4 Posted: March 18, 2013, 07:00:09 pm

Offline Cowwie

• Just settled in
  • Cowwie has no influence.

Reply #5 Posted: March 18, 2013, 07:03:51 pm

Offline mycoolcar

• Addicted
Go here http://www.wingsmuseum.org/

Its awesome.

Reply #6 Posted: March 18, 2013, 07:05:31 pm

Quote from: mycoolcar;1521108
Go here http://www.wingsmuseum.org/

Its awesome.

That looks cool.

I won't have time this time, but I might be coming back in a months time, so I can go then.

Reply #7 Posted: March 18, 2013, 07:09:24 pm

Offline mycoolcar

• Addicted
The aquarium is also ok, not as awesome as planes, but still ok.

Reply #8 Posted: March 18, 2013, 07:19:42 pm

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Top thread. Will read again.

Reply #9 Posted: March 18, 2013, 07:24:35 pm
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
Monkey just wants to appease Elon Musk.

edit: I was hoping this thread was about the father of the modern world.

Reply #10 Posted: March 18, 2013, 08:45:27 pm
"We are the majority we arent the tards, the people we pick on are." -Luse_K

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
That guy is a wanker.

Cool tech car though.

Reply #11 Posted: March 18, 2013, 09:46:28 pm

Offline BerG

• Terminator

• BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.
Car is fucking awesome.

Why is this tech not mainstream?

Reply #12 Posted: March 18, 2013, 10:20:18 pm

Offline Pyromanik

Expensive. Low yield. Oil.

Reply #13 Posted: March 18, 2013, 11:29:28 pm

The car is expensive, between US$52,000 to US$87,000.

And its range is impressive for an electric car, but it wouldn't get you from Auckland to Wellington on a single charge, you need to stay a night in Taihape.

Not available yet in NZ anyway, but it will be in Australia at the end of this year.

Reply #14 Posted: March 19, 2013, 03:38:04 am

Offline Black Heart

• Addicted
  • Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.
Still waiting for the aquada, don't give a crap about electric cars.

Reply #15 Posted: March 19, 2013, 09:07:20 am

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
  • The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: BerG;1521139
Car is fucking awesome.

Why is this tech not mainstream?

Because if I have a choice between a $50,000 car that can do everything that I need it to do and an $80,000 car that can't do everything I need it to do - I am going to choose the $50,000 car...

personally I think the whole Electric Car idea (with current battery technology) is a pipe dream. I have some ideas, but these aren't public forum ideas.

Reply #16 Posted: March 19, 2013, 09:21:14 am

Quote from: The Demon Lord;1521177
Because if I have a choice between a $50,000 car that can do everything that I need it to do and an $80,000 car that can't do everything I need it to do - I am going to choose the $50,000 car...

personally I think the whole Electric Car idea (with current battery technology) is a pipe dream. I have some ideas, but these aren't public forum ideas.

Electric Cars are the future.

The cost of petrol will gradually increase, while the cost of battery technology will come down. There is a point (and I think not too far off) where electric cars will be cheaper, then demand for them will soar.

Also, what does the Tesla not do that you need it to do?

Reply #17 Posted: March 19, 2013, 09:34:17 am

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
  • The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Spacemonkey;1521178

The cost of petrol will gradually increase, while the cost of battery technology will come down. There is a point (and I think not too far off) where electric cars will be cheaper, then demand for them will soar.

Refuel from empty in less than 5 minutes - which means any long distance journey above the initial range of the Tesla requires a recharge stop which takes either an Hour (on supercharge) or overnight (full recharge)

Its not the cost or the weight of the Electric/battery cars that is the issue. its the recharge time of the car.

My main thing with Electric cars is that they are trying to be just that - an Electric car - I personally believe there is a solution but as above - its not one that I will discuss in public.

Reply #18 Posted: March 19, 2013, 09:46:10 am

Quote from: The Demon Lord;1521181

My main thing with Electric cars is that they are trying to be just that - an Electric car - I personally believe there is a solution but as above - its not one that I will discuss in public.

Why not? What is the big secret?

If Range is an issue, a Holden volt is always an option.

New Zealand is pretty small, that's a benefit to having an electric car, for most people range will not be a big issue.

Reply #19 Posted: March 19, 2013, 10:01:03 am

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Spacemonkey;1521178

There was a battery conference in the states not long ago (2 months? - trying to find a link with some info) where they were discussing what format future cars will take, all graphs currently tell us that with the leaps and bounds in ICE economy and the new type of batteries coming out the "micro" hybrid will be the best option, this is a car with start/stop, a little bit of regen braking and maybe a small DC motor. they also discussed the possibility of increasing car voltage to 48v

Lithium is simply too expensive, the pressure on the grid would be too high (unless fusion actually works in the next few years - but the implications of that are far greater than what car we drive), the full electric vehicle will be a niche market of extremists

Reply #20 Posted: March 19, 2013, 10:12:34 am

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
Quote from: Spacemonkey;1521182

New Zealand is pretty small, that's a benefit to having an electric car, for most people range will not be a big issue.

PM sent with my view point

Reply #21 Posted: March 19, 2013, 10:26:05 am

Offline mycoolcar

• Addicted
Issue of going electric isnt that important. What is more important is the generation of the power for the vehicle. There is no point having electric cars if the power for them comes from coal power stations. All it does is move the point source of the pollution.

However, if we had power generation though an entirely renewable & sustainable grid, then we are talking.

Also, SM, Highlands Ranch?

Reply #22 Posted: March 19, 2013, 06:27:58 pm

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
Quote from: mycoolcar;1521224
Issue of going electric isnt that important. What is more important is the generation of the power for the vehicle. There is no point having electric cars if the power for them comes from coal power stations. All it does is move the point source of the pollution.

However, if we had power generation though an entirely renewable & sustainable grid, then we are talking.

Also, SM, Highlands Ranch?

That's where micro-hybrid wins.

and if it doesn't, this might. https://lasers.llnl.gov/about/missions/energy_for_the_future/index.php

Reply #23 Posted: March 19, 2013, 06:42:29 pm

Offline Pyromanik

Quote from: Spacemonkey;1521182

What we really need are electric helicopters.
You wouldn't be around to care if you tried to go that extra mile before recharging then.

Reply #24 Posted: March 19, 2013, 10:12:21 pm