Topic: New to Android... do I want to install custom mod?

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
So I picked up a LG L7 new for $99 to dip my feet in the android world.

Nice phone, may not be the fastest thing in the world but it will do my needs.

What advantages do I get from going to a custom rom, what roms should I look at?

Phone is currently running 4.1.2, I undertand it support 4.2 on roms no issue.

Posted: July 31, 2013, 10:31:09 am
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
Pacman rom works on it.
Cyanogen works on it.
Miui Rom works
Then there is all these ones like CM 10.1 Avatar Rom Extreme, Galaxy S4 etc etc.
Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 10:38:36 am by Growler

Reply #1 Posted: July 31, 2013, 10:36:11 am
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

Offline mattnz

• mattnz is working their way up.mattnz is working their way up.mattnz is working their way up.
If you don't see yourself using the features of the rom (or the OS upgrade), I wouldn't bother.

Maybe use it for a while and get a feel for what extra functionality you might appreciate.

Reply #2 Posted: July 31, 2013, 10:47:32 am
Now that you have read this, plz give me neg rep :>

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
I probably wouldn't bother with a ROM until you're ready to upgrade.

The cheaper phones don't take to ROMs too well as the devs tend to spend less time on optimizing them for low-end devices.

However, I'll +1 LiquidSmooth ROM whenever I can.

Reply #3 Posted: July 31, 2013, 11:10:16 am

Offline Xenolightning

• Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!
Probably stay away from MIUI, it's not a "speedy" rom unless you do further tweaks to it.

If you want something that will improve the day to day performance and battery life, I'd recommend the Raw Cyanogenmod. It works fantastically.

Reply #4 Posted: July 31, 2013, 05:19:14 pm
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
Not worth it for the lower end phones tbh

Reply #5 Posted: August 01, 2013, 06:35:15 pm
"We are the majority we arent the tards, the people we pick on are." -Luse_K