Topic: Things launching on startup

Offline Craigor

• Administrator
  • Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!
So.. I have this rather annoying request at some workplace, to make Internet Explorer open on login to the local intranet

It is already the home page of the browser, but apparently that is not enough.

Aside from the obvious reason of being horribly annoying.. has anyone actually had this on their computers at a workplace, school, or university?

Were there genuine complaints about how annoying it is?

Posted: July 28, 2015, 04:28:45 pm
<a href="steam://friends/add/76561197966242864/">Add me to Steam</a> <- Fixed! lol

Offline Pigdog

• Just settled in
  • Pigdog has great potential!Pigdog has great potential!Pigdog has great potential!Pigdog has great potential!Pigdog has great potential!Pigdog has great potential!Pigdog has great potential!Pigdog has great potential!Pigdog has great potential!
Nope, But my old schools webpage was the default (Until you did matrix haxing on it).

Reply #1 Posted: July 28, 2015, 06:25:29 pm

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
It would be more annoying if it opened up on the getsome.co.nz website,

Ba ha ha ha!

Reply #2 Posted: July 28, 2015, 07:42:42 pm

Offline Pigdog

• Just settled in
  • Pigdog has great potential!Pigdog has great potential!Pigdog has great potential!Pigdog has great potential!Pigdog has great potential!Pigdog has great potential!Pigdog has great potential!Pigdog has great potential!Pigdog has great potential!
Or spammed your inbox because you didn't turn notifications off.

Reply #3 Posted: July 28, 2015, 07:56:38 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
Nope. Don't have it at work (university). If it did, I can guarantee that the students would revolt.

Reply #4 Posted: July 28, 2015, 08:00:31 pm

Offline Lias

• Administrator
  • Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!
Yes I have seen it previously, and yes it was utterly hated. Totally driven by marketing fuckheads too, and IT copped most of the hate for it too.

My manager at my last employer was asked to implement it and actually outright told the marketing department it was technically impossible to do it, and implemented things to ensure that even if someone else in IT tried to do it behind his back, it wouldn't work without them making some major changes to our SOE (and he was the SOE team manager). I should also mention this was a scrupulously honest, mild mannered man who was a former church pastor :-) He just felt THAT strongly about how evil the concept was.

Reply #5 Posted: July 28, 2015, 08:15:10 pm

Offline Pigdog

• Just settled in
All because it was IE and not an alternate.
Also is it IE's last day today?

Reply #6 Posted: July 28, 2015, 09:09:21 pm

Offline DarkVirus

• Administrator
  • DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!
LOL Lias, im sure craigor originally told them it was impossible for the same reasons

Reply #7 Posted: July 29, 2015, 09:47:28 am
Praise be to RNGesus
Add me to Steam

Offline Craigor

• Administrator
  • Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!
I simply cannot believe that I am spending my day justifying my refusal to implement this.

Reply #8 Posted: July 29, 2015, 12:31:15 pm
<a href="steam://friends/add/76561197966242864/">Add me to Steam</a> <- Fixed! lol

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
What context is in this? What kind of users will be using it?

Reply #9 Posted: July 29, 2015, 01:07:23 pm

Offline Lias

• Administrator
  • Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!
What context is in this? What kind of users will be using it?

I would put money on this being driven by Marketing/Communications type people, who want to spam the shit out of internal staff users. That's been the usage case both when I was somewhere that implemented it, and somewhere that wanted to implement it.

Reply #10 Posted: July 29, 2015, 03:59:45 pm

Offline DarkVirus

• Administrator
  • DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!
It is the comms team, i think the purpose is that if there is an all staff notification to go out, sending emails hasn't been well received as most people either delete on sight or have a rule to mark as read.

However, forcing them to open up a browser window on login is a backwards ass way of solving the problem.

My main issue with Large IT environments, you pay money for technical people, but instead of coming to them with a problem and letting them use their intelligence that you pay for to provide a solution that fits the environment, every man and his dog are coming to you with their half baked solution, usually with management approval already so its near impossible to push it off.

Reply #11 Posted: July 30, 2015, 08:41:12 am
Praise be to RNGesus
Add me to Steam