Topic: Dwaf Fortress

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.
Because in those games you can't fight a monster that gives your dwarfs a plague that quantum duplicates itself throughout your fort, causing the dwarfs to get injured spleens and vomit everywhere. Dwarf children covered in pages and pages of vomit. Each page being about 20 individual coatings.

Reply #25 Posted: January 17, 2011, 11:30:07 pm

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
I had a dwarf go mad because I didn't have any silk.

He will eventually die a horrible, lonely death.

Reply #26 Posted: January 18, 2011, 07:26:43 am

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Daddy Clin;1351279
While I absolutely understand and appreciate that games like this are incredibly fun and landmarks in gaming history, I just can't bring myself to do it. I can't turn my back on thirty years of gaming evolution.

Should I play a game that is truly addictive in its depth and quality of gameplay, that was revolutionary at one point in time? Nah, I'll play Mass Effect 2.

Graphics don't make the game of course, but there are plenty well rounded and compelling games with beautiful visuals. Why go without?

This isn't an old game, it is a newish one.

If there was a game with the depth this has, and nice graphics, I would play it. But none such game exists. Plus it's free.

Reply #27 Posted: January 18, 2011, 07:31:14 am

Offline Clin

• Addicted
  • Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!
Not a Civ fan then?

Reply #28 Posted: January 18, 2011, 07:43:01 pm

lol @ console hate

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
  • Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.
Civilisation is overrated DC....just look around at the steaming mass of humanity.

Reply #29 Posted: January 18, 2011, 07:45:35 pm
Recycle your red poppies, paint them white, and wear them throughout the year.

Offline Clin

• Addicted
  • Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!
Pearl Jam is overrated. Moet is overrated. Doesn't mean they aren't excellent.

Reply #30 Posted: January 18, 2011, 07:59:58 pm

lol @ console hate

Offline Clin

• Addicted
Welcome Back, by the way. You were missed.

Reply #31 Posted: January 18, 2011, 08:02:35 pm

lol @ console hate

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
  • Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.
Quote from: Daddy Clin;1351618
Pearl Jam is overrated. Moet is overrated. Doesn't mean they aren't excellent.

Eddie Vedder is, imho, but I never really got into the 'Seattle Sound', finding it a rip off of the 'Dunedin Sound', which by dint of geography and limited funding was oft overlooked.  If you watch Heston's cooking show you would see that Blue Nun through Soda Stream can't be differentiated from from region-specific Champagne, which shows there is a lot of wank factor and protectionism over actual quality ;)...however, I am slightly dubious and must source a soda stream to replicate, but I sense that once pissed, it is sufficient subterfuge...

Quote from: Daddy Clin;1351620

It took me this long to upload my avatar...no chance of me being a meatworker , however, unless Nurse is around ;)
Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 08:37:39 pm by Ngati_Grim

Reply #32 Posted: January 18, 2011, 08:18:29 pm
Recycle your red poppies, paint them white, and wear them throughout the year.

Offline Speakman

• Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Daddy Clin;1351620

^this

may try dwarf fortress. sounds kinda cool

Reply #33 Posted: January 18, 2011, 08:24:26 pm
Quote from: Mellcor
i had kinda hope speakman had died, what a pity

Offline Clin

• Addicted
I thought you guys may had been elaborating, but HOLY SHIT

Reply #34 Posted: January 18, 2011, 08:36:58 pm

lol @ console hate

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
  • Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!
One thing you guys should know, you're probably going to stab your selfs in the eyes when first playing this game. You're going to be so confused, I recommend looking at a guide on how to play, or you will just instantly quit.

The game is fun, I may play this again lol.

Oh and umm
Arnafix posted some stories that were really cool in the other thread, i'll go fish them out and repost them...
http://www.nzfortress.co.nz/forum/showthread.php?t=20768

annnnnd

http://www.timdenee.com/oilfurnace/

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand

http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/~mayday/upload/dfg_31_18_win.zip
latest dwarf fortress in MayDay greens tileset, already set up. It looks nice.
Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 10:36:31 pm by `Kyane Reeves

Reply #35 Posted: January 18, 2011, 10:22:09 pm
Top Geary - 27th May 2016 at 12:10 AM
I've learnt to ignore when you say derogatory things to me

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: CoKayne;1351684
The game is fun, I may play this again lol.
The problem with writing a guide is that writing about Dwarf fortress makes you want to play dwarf fortress and when you play dwarf fortress it makes you want to write about dwarf fortress.

It is a vicious cycle.

Reply #36 Posted: January 19, 2011, 09:11:54 am
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline Clin

• Addicted
Yeah, I think I'll spare myself. As I said, I can appreciate the appeal, but it just seems masochistic.

Why are you always in bed Tiwa? Are you infirm? (Serious question, no offense intended).

Reply #37 Posted: January 19, 2011, 10:19:46 am

lol @ console hate

Adventure mode isn't my thing. I just stick with fortress mode.

Just survived a goblin invasion.

My brave dwarves managed to fend off the invaders.

And by fend off, I mean the dwarves threw their bodies in the path of goblin axes, until the goblins got tried of hacking up my dwarves and went home. Now the survivors have to collect the body parts of their former comrades and bury them. Should be fun.

Reply #38 Posted: January 19, 2011, 10:28:38 am

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.
At least the civilian dwarves no longer try to collect body parts DURING the combat. I lost an entire fortress to that bug because I wasn't paying attention to the combat.

Reply #39 Posted: January 19, 2011, 12:47:17 pm

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
  • Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!
Because I want everyone to get into this fun game, and to see how fun it is. I think I might start posting logs / diaries of my fortress's, in the hopes that others will join in and also post what the fuck caused their downfall.

Day 1 : Designated mining areas are laid out, for Stockpiles, Workshop Room, Hospital, Barracks, and sleeping quarters for 30 rooms. Mining begins immediately. Plants and wood are cut down outside to not waste time.

Day 5 (I guess) : Rooms are dug out, Work shops are designated in workshop room. Hospital zone is designated, but no equipment is put in as no chance to build them. Dwarf's are given roles to make them feel important.

Day 6: The once-thought-as-a-great-idea of building a giant chute to dump refuse is planned out. Miners begin to dig a pipe line. The hopes of digging deep would hit a lava pool, so that refuse would simply burn.

Day 7: The Dwarf's realise that the by digging a tunnel underground, there will be a small possibility of hitting magma. Any refuse dumped down will release a poisonous gas cloud which will be harmful to the fortress. The roof of the chute is decided to be opened up, as well as channels dug to allow rain water to fill the chute. This will hopefully prevent the gas clouds from being formed.

Day 8: While opening the roof, The Expedition Leader and The Military commander fall to the bottom of the pit. The Expedition Leader broke many bones around the lower half of his body, as well as his left arm. The Military Commander, Also the Best Miner, Broke both legs.

Day 9: The Military leader somehow appears in the hospital. It is unknown to whether he was dragged there by a fellow dwarf, or crawled up 2 flights of stairs in pain. Most of the workshops were built, apart from the carpentry workshop. Possibly one of the most important workshops as it adds the ability to create buckets, barrels, beds, and other items.

Day 10: The Expedition Leader remains at the bottom of the chute, regardless of how many dwarf's were capable of collecting him. The expedition leader repeats the process of gaining consciousness and then going unconscious again.

Day 12: The half-built carpentry workshop is destroyed, And a new one is ordered to replace it, in hopes that this time it will be finished.

Day 13: Both the Expedition leader and the Military commander die. Regardless of the fact that the Military commander was in hospital, No beds or Traction tables were made. Traction tables were ordered to be made but looks like no one got around to it. The Military commander probably would of had the chance if the doctor had a bucket to clean wounds and give water to the patient.

Day 14: The carpentry work shop is finished. Supplies for the hospital are set out immediately, as well as coffins for the deceased. Idling dwarf's immediately begin stripping the military commander of his clothes, and putting them in the stock piles, so that they can be reused by someone less dead than him.

Day 15: Chicken grease on the keyboard cause's a major stop in production for the next 3 days.

Day 17: A Cloud of poisonous gas is released from the rotting corpse of the military commander. By Pure Luck only 1 dwarf is caught in the gas, but no apparent health problems were seen.

Day 18: Migrants arrive. With the recent gas outburst, the chute is closed in. The dwarfs are ordered to never speak about the death of the 2 dwarfs again.

Day 19: A Hall / Tomb is mined into a mountain, Separate from the fortress's cave system. It shall be named "The Hall of Heroes". This is so the dwarf's will feel better about dying.
Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 08:22:10 pm by `Kyane Reeves

Reply #40 Posted: January 22, 2011, 08:02:11 pm

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
Stupid Chief Medical Dwarf.... He got angry when I wasn't watching, and went on a rampage and killed everyone.

Oh well time to start again :D

Reply #41 Posted: January 23, 2011, 11:16:02 am

What would be funny, is if your Chief Medical Dwarf went on his rampage, injured everyone, then dragged them back to the hospital and fixed them up again.

He would have pro medical skills at the end of that.

Reply #42 Posted: January 23, 2011, 11:25:43 am

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
I wish lol, He was a pretty lazy doctor, all he wanted to do was give buckets of water to people. Love this game ;)

Reply #43 Posted: January 23, 2011, 11:28:41 am

I've equipped my militarily squad up with steel armor, shields and battle axes.

Now i'm waiting for the goblins to try them out on.

Hopefully they'll do better then that time I sent a squad of dwaves to fight goblins with their bare hands.

Reply #44 Posted: January 23, 2011, 11:34:14 am

Had an epic battle today.

My dwarves were going about their daily business, growing plants, brewing plants into Alcohol, drinking Alcohol, vomiting on each other. When suddenly a giant 500 ton bronze colossus appeared at the gates of the fortress, sending the dwarves fleeing in terror.

One brave dwarf, clad in steel mail and with a sharp battle axe, ran toward the massive bronze colossus. She then got her face punched into her brain and died.

Then the rest of the army showed up and engaged the colossus. Bronze colossuses are hard to kill, they have no organs which you can stab, they are just one big hunk of death causing metal. My dwarves had to lop off the arms, legs, and eventually the head, leaving the torso behind.

4 more dwarves died during the fight. One was left in a mangled heap on the ground with his lungs hanging out his chest, he died shortly after.

Lucky one injured dwarf was taken to the hospital, where he underwent painful surgery to fix him up. He made a full recovery.

The remains of the bronze colossus were made into a marvelous statue, serving as a warning to all would be invaders who dare mess with my dwarves.

Reply #45 Posted: January 25, 2011, 01:20:40 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Spacemonkey;1354130
Had an epic battle today.
I am pretty sure that this is why people play Dwarf Fortress.

So want to bust out some nethack right now!

Reply #46 Posted: January 25, 2011, 01:31:04 pm
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
I'm so sad that I never make it as far as you guys do, to the epic battles.

I'm still figuring out crap. Need to learn how to make some people repeat tasks.

Lol i've been thinking about buying a 10$ net book with like a 7" screen off trademe, and using it just for dwarf fortress.

Turns out I can't run it on such a low res though :(
Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 03:01:19 pm by `Kyane Reeves

Reply #47 Posted: January 25, 2011, 02:52:20 pm

For workshops, when you add a task hit 'r' to make it repeat.

Also, once you have assigned a manager (he needs an office), you can add jobs through the job page. For example you can add 'make 20 iron axes', and they will get made.

It gets tricky to manage things like making sure you have enough coal, so you can smelt iron etc

Reply #48 Posted: January 25, 2011, 03:08:32 pm

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
I still haven't even worked out how to get an anvil / use the trade depot lol

Reply #49 Posted: January 25, 2011, 03:09:10 pm