Topic: Japanese Earthquake! 8.9 - 24km* deep

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
  • Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.
Quote from: Emrico1;1367687
"Wave heights of 0.2m have been observed in Nauru and in the Solomon Islands capital of Honiara."

So the waves are going to grow from there to here?

DERP

They can,depending on the topography of the sea floor.

Reply #50 Posted: March 12, 2011, 09:34:35 am
Recycle your red poppies, paint them white, and wear them throughout the year.

Offline BeNZene

• Forum Admin
  • BeNZene might someday be someone...BeNZene might someday be someone...BeNZene might someday be someone...BeNZene might someday be someone...
Quote from: Tiwaking!;1367691
I still dont know how the Japanese manage to make buildings which resist earthquakes so well. I swear it is their advanced space technology.

My partner has been to Japan a few times, and looking at her photo's it seems that the only old buildings are made of wood.  Some of those a really old and are periodically rebuilt with new wood.  But there seem to be none of the european style old stone/brick/masonry buildings like ChCh had.

Imagine being up in one of those Tokyo sky scrapers though....

Reply #51 Posted: March 12, 2011, 09:35:13 am

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
  • Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.
Quote from: BeNZene;1367699

A friend of mine was and he doesn't scare easily,but he is shaking like a leaf (along with the building).

Reply #52 Posted: March 12, 2011, 10:15:23 am

Offline kookynic

• Cooking by the Book

• kookynic might someday be someone...kookynic might someday be someone...kookynic might someday be someone...kookynic might someday be someone...
i love your assumtions grim

wrong as always

Reply #53 Posted: March 12, 2011, 10:58:09 am

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: BeNZene;1367699

When he his pointing at the other buildings swaying, that is just...just so scary.

Reply #54 Posted: March 12, 2011, 11:14:57 am
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
Quote from: kookynic;1367715
i love your assumtions grim

wrong as always

Cool big fella,so at this time when many people have lost their lives and had their world turned upside down, all you can think about is a little financial inconvenience....awesome.
Fucking kids.

Reply #55 Posted: March 12, 2011, 11:47:39 am

Offline kookynic

• Cooking by the Book

• kookynic might someday be someone...kookynic might someday be someone...kookynic might someday be someone...kookynic might someday be someone...
Quote from: Ngati_Grim;1367728
Cool big fella,so at this time when many people have lost their lives and had their world turned upside down, all you can think about is a little financial inconvenience....awesome.
Fucking kids.

but tthats not what im thinking, see! again assuming

in thinking of my old homestays family, young Tomoki Mitagawa and gutted like how i was when chch got hit, not as easy to help them being nearly half a world away.

Reply #56 Posted: March 12, 2011, 11:51:04 am

Offline Emrico1

• Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!
Quote from: Ngati_Grim;1367698
They can,depending on the topography of the sea floor.

That's not anything to do with what I said bro. Don't correct what I didn't say.

Reply #57 Posted: March 12, 2011, 12:00:22 pm

Offline Clin

• Addicted
  • Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!

Reply #58 Posted: March 12, 2011, 12:30:08 pm

lol @ console hate

Offline kookynic

• Cooking by the Book

thats more like a rave

Reply #59 Posted: March 12, 2011, 01:03:17 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
I wonder if we will send the Japanese rescue team in Christchurch home? Although: It would be pretty heartbreaking to go from a foreign devastated city to your home city which was devastated.

Reply #60 Posted: March 12, 2011, 01:03:36 pm

Offline Plasma

• Addicted
  • Plasma is working their way up.Plasma is working their way up.Plasma is working their way up.
Quote from: Tiwaking!;1367746
I wonder if we will send the Japanese rescue team in Christchurch home? Although: It would be pretty heartbreaking to go from a foreign devastated city to your home city which was devastated.

Already on their way back.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/asia/japan-earthquake/4761635/Japanese-USAR-team-heads-home

Reply #61 Posted: March 12, 2011, 01:18:29 pm

Offline kookynic

• Cooking by the Book

i imagin they would, and we would return the favour of a rescue team

Reply #62 Posted: March 12, 2011, 01:18:41 pm

Offline Plasma

• Addicted
  • Plasma is working their way up.Plasma is working their way up.Plasma is working their way up.
Quote from: kookynic;1367751
i imagin they would, and we would return the favour of a rescue team

We have.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/asia/japan-earthquake/4761624/NZ-to-send-help-to-Japan

Reply #63 Posted: March 12, 2011, 01:28:26 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
Just send over the Incredibro Hulk.

Reply #64 Posted: March 12, 2011, 01:28:31 pm

Offline Emrico1

• Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!
Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 01:50:00 pm by Emrico1

Reply #65 Posted: March 12, 2011, 01:45:22 pm

Offline BeNZene

• Forum Admin
  • BeNZene might someday be someone...BeNZene might someday be someone...BeNZene might someday be someone...BeNZene might someday be someone...
So its tsunami, fire and now potentially nuclear reactor failures.  Jebus wept.

[Not the thread for a long debate, but I hope advocates of NZ having nuclear power see the problem with building reactors on the ring of fire.]

Reply #66 Posted: March 12, 2011, 01:50:12 pm

Offline private_hell

• Addicted
  • private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.
Quote from: BeNZene;1367758
So its tsunami, fire and now potentially nuclear reactor failures.  Jebus wept.

[Not the thread for a long debate, but I hope advocates of NZ having nuclear power see the problem with building reactors on the ring of fire.]

that could be said for any large power generator - dam: flooded valleys, geo thermal:pressurized steam, gas: fires ...

Reply #67 Posted: March 12, 2011, 02:31:29 pm
"Let him who desires peace prepare for war" - Flavius Vegetius Renatus (375AD) De Rei Militari

Offline varkk

• Just settled in
  • varkk has no influence.
Yeah, don't they also have a hydro dam that has cracked and is leaking water as well?

Reply #68 Posted: March 12, 2011, 03:03:45 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

Quote from: Plasma;1367750
Already on their way back.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/asia/japan-earthquake/4761635/Japanese-USAR-team-heads-home

I would like to thank the Japanese rescue team. It is bad enough that they didnt manage to find any survivors from the school :(

Apologies for the terrible Japanese. I dont speak it very often.
Quote from: RetardoBot;1367755
Just send over the Incredibro Hulk.
I always found it funny that he was nick named "Super Maori" when he is, in fact, polynesian.

Reply #69 Posted: March 12, 2011, 03:23:19 pm

Offline kookynic

• Cooking by the Book

good stuff tiwa

私達は悲劇のこの時の精神のあなたとある

Reply #70 Posted: March 12, 2011, 03:35:03 pm

Offline zolteg

• Devoted Member
  • zolteg has no influence.

Reply #71 Posted: March 12, 2011, 03:42:59 pm

Offline Emrico1

^ there was nothing at all here despite that menacing looking animation (I live with a view of the ocean).

So worried about it in fact, I spent most of the day surfing.

Reply #72 Posted: March 12, 2011, 04:21:57 pm

Offline vedds

• Devoted Member
  • vedds has no influence.
http://www.johnstonsarchive.net/other/quake1.html
Just in case anyone is stupid enough to think theres suddenly an explosion in earthquake activity as 2012/Apocolyptic global warming/Rapture/Peak oil/Justin Bieber hitting puberty/LHC/Gay marriage/New moon/Excretion of the steak I had for dinner last night nears....

Reply #73 Posted: March 12, 2011, 04:27:34 pm

Offline Emrico1

^ Ahhh 1984, I knew you were the best year ever for some reason...

Reply #74 Posted: March 12, 2011, 04:29:47 pm