Topic: Minimum wage @ $18 per hour?

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
  • The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Black Heart;1518759
It'd give everyone an eye opening realisation of what it takes to be in business an destroy the "you can afford more, give me more wages" mentality of morons.

Except it wouldn't - if everyone was an independant contractor, any IP they create would be held by them (as they are independant) thus if Company X didn't want to pay them a higher contractor Fee, they could approach company Y, armed with their IP that is used by Company X - ask Company Y for a higher amount (and in return divulge information on the competitor Company X)

In most cases where Independant Contractors are used - there are various clauses about working for competitors and having a cool-down period of 6 months, however if Everyone was a contractor - that would have to be removed (unless someone wants to pay me for not working for 6 months...)

Reply #50 Posted: February 22, 2013, 12:27:42 pm

Offline Black Heart

• Addicted
  • Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.
So people would get paid for their knowledge, and skills. I don't see a problem with that

Reply #51 Posted: February 22, 2013, 01:07:08 pm

Offline Xenolightning

• GS Developer
  • Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: The Demon Lord;1518763
Except it wouldn't - if everyone was an independant contractor, any IP they create would be held by them (as they are independant) thus if Company X didn't want to pay them a higher contractor Fee, they could approach company Y, armed with their IP that is used by Company X - ask Company Y for a higher amount (and in return divulge information on the competitor Company X)

In most cases where Independant Contractors are used - there are various clauses about working for competitors and having a cool-down period of 6 months, however if Everyone was a contractor - that would have to be removed (unless someone wants to pay me for not working for 6 months...)
I think you are underestimating peoples' ability to not give a fuck about themselves, complain about it, then attempt to make everyone else fix it for them.

Reply #52 Posted: February 22, 2013, 01:10:49 pm
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
  • The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Black Heart;1518766
So people would get paid for their knowledge, and skills. I don't see a problem with that

That in itself isn't the problem. The problem is that I might decide I want more money from you and so increase my Contracting rate.

You have the choice of either paying me or not.

If not - I go to your competitor armed with my knowledge of YOUR business and screw you over.

Effectivley it would give contactors a Carte Blanche to Blackmail business with the threat of passing IP to rivals.

-Xeno, I work in IT, trust me - that is one area of Humanity that I never underestimate.....

Reply #53 Posted: February 22, 2013, 01:52:46 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Xenolightning;1518767
Quote from: Black Heart;1518766
I think you are underestimating peoples' ability to not give a fuck about themselves

I think he is overestimating the peoples ability to critically judge their own abilities.

Only one person in 1,650 people are capable of that.

Reply #54 Posted: February 22, 2013, 02:25:34 pm
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
Noodles & Dumplings.

Reply #55 Posted: February 22, 2013, 04:23:25 pm

Offline Black Heart

• Addicted
  • Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.
That number (1 in 1650) might rise with some responsibility forced unto the masses. As for demons argument. Thats kind of the point, you get paid what your worth. If you have the ability to take a business's core away, it's in the interests of that business to pay you, and keep you.

It gels well with my dislike of a 'business entity' having a status & rights seemingly on par with people, and if reaching corporate levels well above a person.
Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 08:15:28 pm by Black Heart

Reply #56 Posted: February 22, 2013, 08:09:52 pm

Offline private_hell

• Addicted
  • private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.
i think businesses need to look at other ways of helping staff with increased living costs without resorting to increasing the minimum wage.
possible options are:
 - getting staff together to buy a cattle beast for home kill
 - providing fresh free fruit and vegetables at work for workers to eat
 - shared cost of gym membership and/or workout equipment (resaonable cost)
 - shared cost of health insurance or prefered treatment centres (dentists, GP's etc)

small to medium businesses are the ones most likely to want to pay their staff more but may not be able to if the minimum wage is increased - giving the businesses options to help out staff will be a win - win option for businesses and staff.

staff feel like they are valued and do their best to make the company/business successful
businesses will hopefully be more productive, which will increase their income, which hopefully would allow the company to continue helping staff

Reply #57 Posted: February 22, 2013, 08:15:46 pm
"Let him who desires peace prepare for war" - Flavius Vegetius Renatus (375AD) De Rei Militari