Topic: GabeN telling us how it is..

Offline Gutty

• Administrator
  • Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!
http://www.gamespresso.com/2015/03/19/gabe-newell-and-future-valve-games/

In regards to a future Half-Life game, Newell says,  “If you want to do another Half-Life game and you want to ignore everything we’ve learned, [in shipping Portal 2 and all the multilayer updates], that seems like a bad choice.  So, we’ll keep moving forward, but that doesn’t necessarily always mean what people are worried that it might mean.”

Posted: March 19, 2015, 11:15:24 pm

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Ignore everything they’ve learned.. what?

His glasses are too small for his head.

Reply #1 Posted: March 20, 2015, 05:39:03 am

Offline Meesham

• Game Server Admin
  • Meesham has no influence.
I'm starting to have a real problem with Valve: their lack of structure, and this is a prime example. Their lack of management and everyone doing what they want was great when it was a small company, it allows people to be dynamic and put their energy into stuff that they enjoy, but now that it's a larger company (around 350 staff) I don't think it works any more. Look at how shit their support is (who'd want to deal with a bunch of whiny gamers if you didn't have to?) and how much they've pretty much left TF2 to stagnate.

Reply #2 Posted: March 20, 2015, 08:58:56 am

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
It's just a cover, they appear inept and disorganised just to mislead us, when actually they're all secretly working on HL3 and it WILL BE THE BEST GAME EVER MADE.

In fact, after HL3, no one will bother making any other games because everyone will just be playing HL3 for the rest of time. Everyone will play it so much, they will quit their jobs, stop eating and die playing it.

Forget climate change and nuclear wars, HL3 will bring about the end of humanity.

Reply #3 Posted: March 20, 2015, 09:12:52 am

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
  • The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!
Don't leave us hanging GabeN

Reply #4 Posted: March 20, 2015, 10:48:30 am

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
If you read the article, you can kind of side with him.

His reasonings for not taking up any sequels is that he wants his teams to have the narrative first, then find a carrier for the narrative. Not take a game and then try and figure out how they can make a new iteration of it. Doing this this way ensures you have a title that is engaging and worth the development.

However, the loyal fans have made him and his Steam what it is, and his constant "go fuck yourself, we're doing what we want" has grown tired.

I hope all this means that they are working on new IP.

Reply #5 Posted: March 20, 2015, 11:02:20 am

Offline Xsannz

• Addicted
  • Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!
It's just a cover, they appear inept and disorganised just to mislead us, when actually they're all secretly working on HL3 and it WILL BE THE BEST GAME EVER MADE.

In fact, after HL3, no one will bother making any other games because everyone will just be playing HL3 for the rest of time. Everyone will play it so much, they will quit their jobs, stop eating and die playing it.

Forget climate change and nuclear wars, HL3 will bring about the end of humanity.

perhaps the dev team played the internal Alpha of HL3 and kept playing it so much they stopped creating the product.

Reply #6 Posted: March 20, 2015, 11:12:15 am

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
I remember GabeN also reporting that the Valve team were absolutely sick of working on Half Life. That they had been run into the ground with the amount of titles they had pumped out and it was beginning to show.

If you count up the amount of versions, there's a shit-ton:

Half Life
Half Life: Opposing Force
Half Life: Blue Shift
Half Life: Decay
Half Life: Counter-Strike
Half Life 2
Half Life 2: Deathmatch
Half Life 2: Lost Coast
Half Life 2: Episode 1
Half Life 2: Episode 2

And then there's Counter-Strike Source and Counter-Strike: Global Operations.

Reply #7 Posted: March 20, 2015, 12:10:12 pm

Offline Scunner

• Addicted
  • Scunner might someday be someone...Scunner might someday be someone...Scunner might someday be someone...Scunner might someday be someone...
I remember GabeN also reporting that the Valve team were absolutely sick of working on Half Life. That they had been run into the ground with the amount of titles they had pumped out and it was beginning to show.

Half Life
Half Life 2

I remember reading the Half Life expansions were done by other developers. Pretty sure Gearbox did one, at least.

I'm not entirely sure I care about a Half Life 3 being released any more, but I do need something, anything, to complete the story from the end of Episode 2.

Reply #8 Posted: March 20, 2015, 12:21:54 pm

Offline Gutty

• Administrator
  • Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!
Black mesa is another one

Opposing forces never worked like they wanted.

I think they could make money of a few more hl2 episodes.  Id still buy it and play it.
Hl2 and even a replay of hl1 on the new engine is good.

More halflife series over the overhyped battlefield series will always win me over

Reply #9 Posted: March 20, 2015, 12:40:21 pm

Offline Pigdog

• Just settled in
  • Pigdog has great potential!Pigdog has great potential!Pigdog has great potential!Pigdog has great potential!Pigdog has great potential!Pigdog has great potential!Pigdog has great potential!Pigdog has great potential!Pigdog has great potential!
I would be pretty happy with another left 4 dead.
Or portal.

Reply #10 Posted: March 20, 2015, 01:06:14 pm

Offline Lias

• Administrator
  • Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!
Yep can easily live without HL3, but mad keen on LFD3

Reply #11 Posted: March 20, 2015, 02:57:19 pm

Offline Pigdog

• Just settled in
  • Pigdog has great potential!Pigdog has great potential!Pigdog has great potential!Pigdog has great potential!Pigdog has great potential!Pigdog has great potential!Pigdog has great potential!Pigdog has great potential!Pigdog has great potential!

Triskaphobia- fear of the number Three

Reply #12 Posted: March 20, 2015, 05:40:03 pm

Offline toofast

• Addicted
  • toofast barely matters.toofast barely matters.

Same here.

Reply #13 Posted: March 20, 2015, 06:34:17 pm

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
  • The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!

I dunno - I still yearn for HL3 - whilst L4D2 was fun (clocked heaps of hours on that) where would you go in L4D3?

Reply #14 Posted: March 20, 2015, 08:01:19 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
  • Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.
Sorta hard to give a fuck about making another hit PC game when your platform gets %30 of all hit game revenue anyways.

Reply #15 Posted: March 21, 2015, 01:54:00 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!

Half Life 3 will be Half Life - Online

Like .Hack or Sword Art Online

Reply #16 Posted: March 21, 2015, 02:14:44 pm
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
I'm starting to have a real problem with Valve: their lack of structure, and this is a prime example. Their lack of management and everyone doing what they want was great when it was a small company, it allows people to be dynamic and put their energy into stuff that they enjoy, but now that it's a larger company (around 350 staff) I don't think it works any more. Look at how shit their support is (who'd want to deal with a bunch of whiny gamers if you didn't have to?) and how much they've pretty much left TF2 to stagnate.

I'm starting to have a real problem with you: your lack of correctness, and this is a prime example. Your lack of thought and just typing what you want was great when you were a small timer, it allowed opinions to be dynamic and focus their energy on stuff that was enjoyable, but now that you're a server admin (around 20 players) I don't think it works anymore. Look at how shit your argument is (who'd want to read such drivel if they didn't have to?) and how much you've kepted on with TF2 into stagnation.

Reply #17 Posted: March 22, 2015, 10:59:18 am
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!

Half Life
Half Life 2

I remember reading the Half Life expansions were done by other developers. Pretty sure Gearbox did one, at least.

I'm not entirely sure I care about a Half Life 3 being released any more, but I do need something, anything, to complete the story from the end of Episode 2.

All of them were done by Gearbox. Valve did half life, and HL2+extras.
Can't say that they wouldn't have exterted some kind of input & control over their IP though. So there is that I guess.

Also, the sooner everyone realises Ep2 WAS the end, the better off everyone will be. The brain suckers came in, took Alex, and killed Gordon. The end. The combine won.

Reply #18 Posted: March 22, 2015, 11:05:53 am

Yeah, all hail our combine overlords!

Reply #19 Posted: March 22, 2015, 04:03:54 pm

Offline Xenolightning

• GS Developer
  • Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!
Also, the sooner everyone realises Ep2 WAS the end, the better off everyone will be. The brain suckers came in, took Alex, and killed Gordon. The end. The combine won.
Spoilers. Fuck.

Reply #20 Posted: March 22, 2015, 09:17:17 pm
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline Meesham

• Game Server Admin
  • Meesham has no influence.

I'm starting to have a real problem with you: your lack of correctness, and this is a prime example. Your lack of thought and just typing what you want was great when you were a small timer, it allowed opinions to be dynamic and focus their energy on stuff that was enjoyable, but now that you're a server admin (around 20 players) I don't think it works anymore. Look at how shit your argument is (who'd want to read such drivel if they didn't have to?) and how much you've kepted on with TF2 into stagnation.

You don't specify where I'm incorrect and just insult the game I still enjoy... OK then.

Read the Valve new employee handbook: https://www.valvesoftware.com/company/Valve_Handbook_LowRes.pdf
and then how it's actually a bit cliquey and according to a former employee (which granted wouldn't be unbiased) is difficult to get anything done: http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2013-07/09/valve-management-jeri-ellsworth

Reply #21 Posted: March 22, 2015, 10:15:06 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

Steam is love. Steam is life.

However, I've read a few experiences that indie devs have had with Steam and how they are strong armed by Valve when using Steam as a distribution platform.

Valve is the Pixar of the video game world. Produces amazing results, but pumps out sequel after sequel.

Reply #22 Posted: March 23, 2015, 10:42:11 am

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
Valve is the Pixar of the video game world. Produces amazing results, but pumps out sequel after sequel.

Not True

I saw Toy Story 3 - and it was awesome

I have not seen HL3

Reply #23 Posted: March 23, 2015, 11:59:51 am

Offline Pyromanik

You don't specify where I'm incorrect and just insult the game I still enjoy... OK then.

Read the Valve new employee handbook: https://www.valvesoftware.com/company/Valve_Handbook_LowRes.pdf
and then how it's actually a bit cliquey and according to a former employee (which granted wouldn't be unbiased) is difficult to get anything done: http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2013-07/09/valve-management-jeri-ellsworth

nibble nibble

CHOMP CHOMP

Reply #24 Posted: March 24, 2015, 09:04:36 am