Topic: Half-Life: Black Mesa

Offline Gutty

• Administrator
  • Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!
I didn't realize the available version was not finished. but hey guess what! IT'S FINISHED NOW!!! lol

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/half-life-fan-remaster-black-mesa-launches-on-stea/1100-6427103/

http://store.steampowered.com/app/362890

The videos are really well done. May consider re-playing the game.

Posted: May 06, 2015, 07:11:07 pm

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
How is it different from the free version released a few years back?

Reply #1 Posted: May 06, 2015, 07:14:22 pm

Offline Gutty

• Administrator
  • Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!
my guess is that its been completed using the newer engine. as that older version was running the old hl1 engine up until last year. I have it in my library so i'm hoping i don't have to purchase it

Reply #2 Posted: May 06, 2015, 07:19:25 pm

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
I still haven't got around to playing ep2.

Maybe, just maybe, a half life binge is on the cards?

Reply #3 Posted: May 06, 2015, 11:11:53 pm
"We are the majority we arent the tards, the people we pick on are." -Luse_K

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
my guess is that its been completed using the newer engine. as that older version was running the old hl1 engine up until last year. I have it in my library so i'm hoping i don't have to purchase it

Black Mesa source was done as a mod on the source engine, It was completed up until the Xen levels.

It looks like they will finish the remaining levels as part of early access, which is fair enough. They've done a pretty awesome job so far, and they can use the financial help.

Reply #4 Posted: May 07, 2015, 05:23:19 am

From the steam reviews;

I've been waiting for this for half of my life.

Quite literally.

Ha, this is the same for me as well, crazy to think that Half Life came out over 15 years ago.

Reply #5 Posted: May 07, 2015, 05:25:13 am

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!

I'm not sure you quite understand...
I mean yeah, it'd be pretty fucking amazing to re-develop half life 1 on the half life 1 engine. Pretty sure that's never been done before.

Reply #6 Posted: May 07, 2015, 10:00:30 am
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline Craigor

• Administrator
  • Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!
I still haven't got around to playing ep2.

Maybe, just maybe, a half life binge is on the cards?

If you haven't, Don't play EP2

Because then you get to the end, and want to play the rest
and Valve sit there laughing.

Reply #7 Posted: May 07, 2015, 11:04:13 am
<a href="steam://friends/add/76561197966242864/">Add me to Steam</a> <- Fixed! lol

I used to hopefully wait for the day Hl3/Ep3 would be release, but no longer.

For me, when it comes to Single player story driven first person shooters, Bioshock has taken that crown.

Reply #8 Posted: May 07, 2015, 11:20:52 am

Quote from: Gordon Freeman

Reply #9 Posted: May 07, 2015, 11:23:14 am

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
  • The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!
I accidentally a Black Mesa

Reply #10 Posted: May 07, 2015, 05:14:20 pm

Offline Gutty

• Administrator

I'm not sure you quite understand...
I mean yeah, it'd be pretty fucking amazing to re-develop half life 1 on the half life 1 engine. Pretty sure that's never been done before.

what??
black mesa was on the hl1 engine. now its on the hl2 engine...

Reply #11 Posted: May 07, 2015, 06:00:22 pm

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
Black Mesa, is HL1 on the source 2 engine.

However source 2 has developed since HL2 was released.

Reply #12 Posted: May 07, 2015, 07:06:37 pm

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
black mesa was on the hl1 engine.

This is true. Though I believe back then they called the game "Half-Life".
Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 09:31:30 am by Pyromanik

Reply #13 Posted: May 08, 2015, 09:24:45 am

Offline Gutty

• Administrator
:/

Reply #14 Posted: May 08, 2015, 10:34:02 am

Offline Pyromanik

I dunno how to put it simpler. Maybe bigger text will help (Just in case that unsmiley wasn't the penny dropping).

Valve only have two engines.
  • The Half-life engine (aka GldSrc)
  • Source
Source is the current engine.

Source has been developed in rolling updates to stay relevant.

Black Mesa is HL1 implemented on Source.

Because HL:Source (the official 'port' released in the collectors edition of HL2 box) was such a disappointment. It's been in development pretty much since HL2 came out.

HL1 engine is actually a heavily modified Quake engine, with elements of Tech 2 (Quake 2 engine) mixed in.

'Black Mesa' on HL1 engine WAS HL1.

In other news, wholey fuck the BB code parser is fucking useless. What is it, a bunch of shitty regex?
Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 08:33:57 am by Pyromanik

Reply #15 Posted: May 09, 2015, 08:18:01 am

And GoldSrc is a modified version of the Quake engine.

Reply #16 Posted: May 09, 2015, 08:27:52 am

Offline Meesham

• Game Server Admin
  • Meesham has no influence.
Valve consider Source 2 to be a new engine:
Valve announced the Source 2 engine, the successor to the Source engine used in Valve's games since the launch of Counter-Strike: Source and Half-Life 2.

Source: http://www.valvesoftware.com/news/

Reply #17 Posted: May 09, 2015, 11:41:56 pm

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
  • The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!
and I still die when trying to jump off a ladder.....

Some things never change....

Reply #18 Posted: May 10, 2015, 09:46:29 am

Offline Pyromanik

Valve consider Source 2 to be a new engine:
Valve announced the Source 2 engine, the successor to the Source engine used in Valve's games since the launch of Counter-Strike: Source and Half-Life 2.

Source: http://www.valvesoftware.com/news/

Think about that for a second. Maybe five. Minutes. Hours. However long it takes to sink in.

They announced a new engine. It is not the one being used for Black Mesa, since Valve aren't finished developing it. Not until it's complete and games are being produced with it can you say that there are three.

To be fair it's about damn time they made a new one. Source has it's rolling updates and all, but it shows it's age. Updates keep it relevant, but I wouldn't really call it a technical marvel.
Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 10:15:12 am by Pyromanik

Reply #19 Posted: May 12, 2015, 09:40:55 am

Offline Meesham

• Game Server Admin
  • Meesham has no influence.
Maybe you should take your own advice, where did I say that Black Mesa was built using Source 2? The last time I checked they'd ported it to Source 2013. I'm saying that you're wrong that there's only 2 engines, while you may not consider Source 2 an engine because it's not available to the public yet it does exist - meaning there are 3 engines. Some game developers don't release their engine to the public/other developers, does that mean their engine doesn't exist? Valve aren't exactly the most vocal company about upcoming projects, how do we know it's not complete and they've been working on Portal 3 for the past 12 months?

Congratulations Pyromanick your wish will be granted, I'm done here on the forums. There's ways to have conversations & arguments with people on forums and then there's your type of douchebaggery. You can consider someone else incorrect and still be civil or keep it lighthearted.

Reply #20 Posted: May 12, 2015, 11:34:35 am

they've been working on Half-Life 3 for the past 12 months.

Half-Life 3 confirmed!!!!

Reply #21 Posted: May 12, 2015, 11:59:18 am

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
I dunno how to put it simpler. Maybe bigger text will help (Just in case that unsmiley wasn't the penny dropping).

Valve only have two engines.
  • The Half-life engine (aka GldSrc)
  • Source
Source is the current engine.

Source has been developed in rolling updates to stay relevant.

Black Mesa is HL1 implemented on Source.

Because HL:Source (the official 'port' released in the collectors edition of HL2 box) was such a disappointment. It's been in development pretty much since HL2 came out.

HL1 engine is actually a heavily modified Quake engine, with elements of Tech 2 (Quake 2 engine) mixed in.

In other news, wholey fuck the BB code parser is fucking useless. What is it, a bunch of shitty regex?

Oh yeah lol, I remember now.

Reply #22 Posted: May 12, 2015, 06:49:42 pm

And GoldSrc is a modified version of the Quake engine.

Was that there before I posted?  ???

You know what grinds my gears, when someone underlines something, and I think it's a link, then a click it and it's not a link.
Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 01:17:39 pm by Sire NZ CH Spacemonkey

Reply #23 Posted: May 13, 2015, 01:13:05 pm

Offline Pyromanik

M8 hv I gt a dl 4 u

Press:
  • F10
  • View
  • Page Style
  • No Style
Problem solved!

a {
   text-decoration: underline;
   cursor:pointer;
}
a:link {
   color: blue;
}
a:visited {
   color: purple;
}

Disclaimer: Instructions written for Firefox. Other browsers may not be supported. Pyromanik corp. is not liable for any damages caused either directly or indirectly through use of the product.

**Wholey shit the bbcode parser really was written by cockroaches :<
Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 05:06:31 am by Pyromanik

Reply #24 Posted: May 15, 2015, 04:36:51 am