Topic: Religion. The evolution, creation and everything in between megathread

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
  • ThaFleastyler barely matters.ThaFleastyler barely matters.
Quote from: Tiwaking!;410094
I believe I have covered the fact that Jesus is in the old testament and the new testament in an earlier part of this thread.

Not only that, but his arrival was predicted (prophesied) in the Old Testament, notably by Isaiah, whose writings are dated a number of years earlier than any of the New Testament writings, proven by noted historians.

There is a theory that I've heard many times, which states that parts of the Old Testament, particularly the Torah, is actually a metaphor for something else (I'm not 100% sure on this exactly, could take some research). Either way, the jews used the Torah as a guide on how to live. Starting from a young age, around 5 or 6, jewish boys would start memorizing the Torah, and would know every word of it by the time they were 12 or 13. The question then becomes over exactly how much is metaphorical and how much is literal (for example, the creation story would appear to be metaphorical, given scientific findings on the age of the universe (particularly the evidence supporting increased acceleration of the expansion of the universe), whereas other events - wars, kings, etc - line up with non-religious historical accounts from the era).

Either way, I believe the whole thing is God-inspired, even if its not 100% fact.

Reply #2475 Posted: May 03, 2007, 09:38:46 am

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: ThaFleastyler;410126
A world of beauty
A land of plenty
A love for all eternity

Adam is
THE CHOSEN

This Halloween, everything good is about to be gone.

IN THEATRES OCTOBER 25

:D

The GREATEST story ever told!
[video]Qnq7N6X4x84[/video]

Reply #2476 Posted: May 03, 2007, 09:41:19 am
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: ThaFleastyler;410130
There is a theory that I've heard many times, which states that parts of the Old Testament, particularly the Torah, is actually a metaphor for something else

A friend of my from America would tell me about one of the papers she was doing called "The Bible as Literature" where they study the bible as a piece of literature INSTEAD of a religious text. It was really quite interesting, and alot of examples of what could be considered simple literary fact are thrown out of context when taken in a religious sense.
Quote from: ThaFleastyler;410130
Either way, I believe the whole thing is God-inspired, even if its not 100% fact.

What you want to do, and what you actually *do* do is weigh up the benefits of taking a section of the bible as literal fact or metaphor. This I have absolutely no problem with and would encourage more people to do.

Reply #2477 Posted: May 03, 2007, 09:45:23 am

Offline cobra

• Devoted Member
  • cobra has no influence.
Quote from: Tiwaking!;410135

What you want to do, and what you actually *do* do is weigh up the benefits of taking a section of the bible as literal fact or metaphor. This I have absolutely no problem with and would encourage more people to do.

I dont like this. It allows christians to misquote parts of the bible for their hate campaigns.

Reply #2478 Posted: May 03, 2007, 01:54:33 pm

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
Quote from: cobra;410314
I dont like this. It allows christians to misquote parts of the bible for their hate campaigns.

Christianity and hate aren't 2 things that should go together, even though they do. But you really need to get past this overbearing sense that Christians are inherently bad people.

As for misquoting the bible to illustrate any point, I agree that it is rife. However, I've noticed many preachers (including the leadership of my own church) make reference to read the whole passage, not just the one verse that works for you.

Reply #2479 Posted: May 03, 2007, 05:04:04 pm

Offline Zarathrustra

• Addicted
  • Zarathrustra has no influence.
http://img476.imageshack.us/img476/9030/1176461960257fb7.jpg
Religion. The evolution, creation and everything in between megathread

Reply #2480 Posted: May 03, 2007, 05:04:10 pm

Offline (BHP)Clyock

• Just settled in
  • (BHP)Clyock has no influence.

Reply #2481 Posted: May 03, 2007, 05:52:50 pm

Offline Obbles

• Obbles has no influence.
this thread is bigger than my penis

Reply #2482 Posted: May 03, 2007, 08:09:00 pm

Offline TuataraDude

• Devoted Member
  • TuataraDude has no influence.
Quote from: Tiwaking!;410131
The GREATEST story ever told!
[video]Qnq7N6X4x84[/video]

That's brilliant.

Reply #2483 Posted: May 04, 2007, 07:27:05 am
Just when I thought I was out, they drag me back in.

Offline frog.

• Devoted Member
  • frog. has no influence.
Quote from: TofuEater;409836
Why would he? If his entire raison d'etre is to get humans to have faith then he must have someone working to test that faith. In other words, if there was no evil then humans wouldn't know what it was they were trying to attain.

even though there is evil, humans still dont know what it is "we" are trying to attain.

religion has tried to answer the question of the origin of evil but all that we are left with is more questions. is this the ignorance of man? no.

what is it that "we" are tying to achieve? civilization after civilization have risen and fallen, why will this civilization be any different. this is the ignorance of man.

to split and control the atom, journey into outer space, walk the surface of the moon and yet we cant control poverty, this is the ignorance of man.
to find out about quantum physics, the big bang, the expansion of the universe yet we cant find a fucking cure for AIDS. my god! this is the ignorance of man.
just as long as we are technologically advanced and have guns then we are safe. WRONG! because you are your worst fucking enemy! THIS is the ignorance of man!

why is science trying to push the boundaries when it cant control and is unsure whats within the boundaries it already has?

why do we want to journey beyond our solar system ,why do we want to leave earth behind and explore?
simple. because this place is fucked. we want something else.

"we" as a people have never done anything of good. we must look within if we are to attain anything, looking to God will only get you faith. doesnt the bible say first know yourself before god? and until then nothing will change. thats unless you see the state of the world as Excellent and not in need of change and live in a fantasy.

evil exists because we dont know what it is.

off subject?... rant not pointed at anyone/
feel free to dismantle me, my ego is out of control.

ribbit

Reply #2484 Posted: May 04, 2007, 02:44:47 pm
pancakesrreal | Everyone of us is high but you

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
Quote from: 'frog.;411619
why is science trying to push the boundaries when it cant control and is unsure whats within the boundaries it already has?

why do we want to journey beyond our solar system ,why do we want to leave earth behind and explore?

While I agree in part, I totally disagree with this assertion.
I think humans constantly seek knowledge simply because we need to know. We inherently don't want to believe that there is anything beyond what we can see and touch, so we constantly pursue anything that might give us knowledge that we didn't possess before. We don't want to believe there is a God, so we go out of our way to prove He doesn't exist. This is not because we're scared of not being alone, or because we don't like to think about what is happening to us after we "shake this mortal coil" - we look for knowledge just because we do, simple as that.

Reply #2485 Posted: May 04, 2007, 03:19:26 pm

Offline cobra

• Devoted Member
even though there is evil, humans still dont know what it is "we" are trying to attain.

religion has tried to answer the question of the origin of evil but all that we are left with is more questions. is this the ignorance of man? no.

what is it that "we" are tying to achieve? civilization after civilization have risen and fallen, why will this civilization be any different. this is the ignorance of man.

to split and control the atom, journey into outer space, walk the surface of the moon and yet we cant control poverty, this is the ignorance of man.
to find out about quantum physics, the big bang, the expansion of the universe yet we cant find a fucking cure for AIDS. my god! this is the ignorance of man.
just as long as we are technologically advanced and have guns then we are safe. WRONG! because you are your worst fucking enemy! THIS is the ignorance of man!

"we" as a people have never done anything of good. we must look within if we are to attain anything, looking to God will only get you faith. doesnt the bible say first know yourself before god? and until then nothing will change. thats unless you see the state of the world as Excellent and not in need of change and live in a fantasy.

evil exists because we dont know what it is.

off subject?... rant not pointed at anyone/
feel free to dismantle me, my ego is out of control.

ribbit

you just been visiting mary jane?

Reply #2486 Posted: May 04, 2007, 03:19:45 pm

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.
Quote from: cobra;411663
you just been visiting mary jane?

He's over an hour early!

Reply #2487 Posted: May 04, 2007, 03:24:38 pm

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.

Offline Simon_NZ

• Addicted
  • Simon_NZ has no influence.
yeah, wtflol

never done anything of good? fuck your life must be negative if this is how u think

Reply #2488 Posted: May 04, 2007, 03:25:27 pm

Offline cobra

• Devoted Member
Quote from: ThaFleastyler;411661
I think humans constantly seek knowledge simply because we need to know. We inherently don't want to believe that there is anything beyond what we can see and touch, so we constantly pursue anything that might give us knowledge that we didn't possess before. We don't want to believe there is a God, so we go out of our way to prove He doesn't exist. This is not because we're scared of not being alone, or because we don't like to think about what is happening to us after we "shake this mortal coil" - we look for knowledge just because we do, simple as that.

People dont go out to try and prove god doesn't exist, just the more we learn the less we need "god" to explain things - god is no longer needed to make sense of life

Reply #2489 Posted: May 04, 2007, 03:44:54 pm

Offline dirtyape

• Addicted
  • dirtyape has no influence.
Evil exists because of man, no doubt about it. But we can only use the tools at our disposal to try and control the situation. Long ago the only tool was religion. But times have changed, science has disproved religious assertions to the point that most of the learned simply cannot suspend their disbelief of it.

Other moralistic propaganda (TV, movies) have only limited reach and effects.

The legal system is not really a moral guide so much as a self preservation guide.

So where are the moral teachings for the future going to come from?

Reply #2490 Posted: May 04, 2007, 04:00:17 pm
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that they are difficult to verify." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline dirtyape

• Addicted
  • dirtyape has no influence.

Knowledge is power. It is our nature to control, and to control we must understand. Knowledge aids ourselves or our species. Its survival instinct.

Reply #2491 Posted: May 04, 2007, 04:03:41 pm
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that they are difficult to verify." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Tiwaking!

Quote from: cobra;411690
People dont go out to try and prove god doesn't exist, just the more we learn the less we need "god" to explain things - god is no longer needed to make sense of life

[video]-hM8MiD95Nk&[/video]
Were I faced with this guy, I'd gladly turn Militant atheist

Reply #2492 Posted: May 04, 2007, 09:34:07 pm

Offline Simon_NZ

• Addicted
  • Simon_NZ has no influence.
what a dork - he needs a punch in the face.

Reply #2493 Posted: May 04, 2007, 09:42:22 pm

Offline Black Heart

• Addicted
  • Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.
While I agree in part, I totally disagree

lol.

Reply #2494 Posted: May 04, 2007, 09:46:23 pm

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
Quote from: Black Heart;412063
lol.

It sounded right in my head :disappoin

Reply #2495 Posted: May 04, 2007, 11:52:36 pm

Offline Deagle

• Just settled in
  • Deagle has no influence.
Quote from: Tiwaking!;412048
[video]-hM8MiD95Nk&[/video]
Were I faced with this guy, I'd gladly turn Militant atheist

Seriously, that guy shows why some christians are hated.  He seriously needed a smack upside the head ....  :sly:

Reply #2496 Posted: May 05, 2007, 12:15:09 am

Offline cobra

• Devoted Member
"it was proper for hitler to kill jews" - christian logic at work again

Reply #2497 Posted: May 05, 2007, 01:13:29 am

Offline frog.

• Devoted Member
  • frog. has no influence.
Quote from: Simon_NZ;411670
yeah, wtflol

never done anything of good? fuck your life must be negative if this is how u think

yes it is how i think but trust me its not negative.

Reply #2498 Posted: May 05, 2007, 01:25:40 am
pancakesrreal | Everyone of us is high but you

Offline TuataraDude

• Devoted Member
  • TuataraDude has no influence.
...to split and control the atom, journey into outer space, walk the surface of the moon and yet we cant control poverty, this is the ignorance of man.

We COULD control poverty and we COULD find a cure for AIDS, but we lack the will to make the sacrifices to do it. Those secrifices would involve not spending money on things like the military for a while and there are people who would rather ensure their own comfort and safety than help people in a country they will probably never visit.

..why is science trying to push the boundaries when it cant control and is unsure whats within the boundaries it already has?

There are scientists working on these issues, but like anything, they need resources and the people who control those resources are investing them in other areas. You are being unkind to blame science as a group.

Wrong! We journey because we want to learn more. The people working on those projects genuinely want to learn what makes the universe tick. "Why should we care?" many people ask. Probably because humans in general seek to increase their knowledge and this is another area to explore. Don't forget, by understanding the structure of atoms, we may have atom bombs and such, but we also have things like smoke detectors, PET scans and GPS navigation satellites. Not everthing science does is destructive. If you have a problem with what they are producing, blame the politicians and the corporations that fund them. And blame the people who vote those politicians in and buy products from the corporations to keep them in a position to influence the direction of science.

Reply #2499 Posted: May 05, 2007, 06:28:50 am
Just when I thought I was out, they drag me back in.