Topic: Good programming language to learn?

Offline Bell

• Addicted
  • Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.
Yea gotta watch out for those huge nerds.

Reply #200 Posted: November 27, 2010, 12:31:31 am

Offline Menial

• Addicted
  • Menial is working their way up.Menial is working their way up.Menial is working their way up.
Those small nerds always trying to keep a brother down.

Reply #201 Posted: November 27, 2010, 12:34:54 am

Offline Speakman

• Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Pyromanik;1336094
where an inbuilt switch for case insensitive comparison doesn't exist I'd use a regex, but that's because I'm a huge nerd apparently.

needs more beard tbh

Reply #202 Posted: November 27, 2010, 12:40:44 am
Quote from: Mellcor
i had kinda hope speakman had died, what a pity

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
  • Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!
any reason Why I can't do multiple else if statements?

i.e  if so and so == 1
        mode = 1
    else if so and so == 2
        mode = 2
    else if so and so == 3
        mode = 3
    else Console.WriteLine (">:(")

(That's not my actual code, but it is very similar)

Anything specific I need to do?

Atm, all i did was work around it by going

if so and so == 1
        mode = 1
    else if so and so == 2
        mode = 2
    if so and so == 3
        mode = 3
    if so and so == 0
        Console.WriteLine (">:(")

Reply #203 Posted: November 27, 2010, 11:03:35 pm
Top Geary - 27th May 2016 at 12:10 AM
I've learnt to ignore when you say derogatory things to me

Offline Bell

• Addicted
  • Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.
should be able to do as many else ifs as you want.
What error are you getting?

Reply #204 Posted: November 28, 2010, 01:02:24 am

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
  • Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!
wtf it suddenly works... Confused...

lol... was probably a tiny syntax error :d

Reply #205 Posted: November 28, 2010, 01:55:35 am

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
I feel like such a nerd >.< Programming is too fun :P

Umm, Is there any way that I can group a list of functions into one word?

i.e

When I want to do these...

Console.WriteLine();
Console.ReadLine();
if (Console.ReadLine() == "Hey")
   Greeting = "Hey";

Am I able to write...

Greetings test = {
Console.WriteLine();
Console.ReadLine();
if (Console.ReadLine() == "Hey")
   Greeting = "Hey";}

Perform Greetings test
(which would do all those commands)

BTW the reason im' asking instead of googling is because you guys are a lot more clear than msdn is at times :x

Reply #206 Posted: November 28, 2010, 11:20:36 am

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
you can simply make a method

Code: [Select]
public void Greetings()
{
Console.WriteLine();
Console.ReadLine();
if (Console.ReadLine() == &quot;Hey&quot;)
   Greeting = &quot;Hey&quot;;
}

Then call Greetings(); elsewhere in code to run it.

Also, above where you had all your if, else if statements, and switch/case might be more useful.

Code: [Select]
int so = 2;

switch (so)
{
case 1 :
mode = 1;
break;
case 2 :
mode = 2;
break;
default :
Console.WriteLine ("");
break;
}

Reply #207 Posted: November 28, 2010, 11:46:07 am

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
l2 code tag guys, that's nasty trying to read that, haha

Reply #208 Posted: November 28, 2010, 12:43:39 pm
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
just to update everyone.

My game is almost finished, all I have to add is the code for the bot to not be an idiot, and allow people to easily line up 3 squares.

(I'll be working on it now, will post when I'm finally finished :D)

Reply #209 Posted: November 29, 2010, 02:29:27 pm

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Alright, good to hear.

I think I have the next challenge lined up.
It'll be ready when you are :>

Reply #210 Posted: November 29, 2010, 03:53:24 pm

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
I might take a break for the next challange lol

Theres a few bugs, like your required to type in a square twice (don't just press enter - enter, retype the number.)

But i'm so tired, and i just made garlic bread.

== no effort to fix.

Still open for comments + feedback

I'm sorry I let you guys down.

Reply #211 Posted: November 29, 2010, 04:55:19 pm

Offline Pyromanik

Not at all. You actually made a finish.

Urgh I hate you .NET
*You need version 4 of the .NET Framework to run this*

Reply #212 Posted: November 29, 2010, 06:34:56 pm

Offline toofast

• Addicted
  • toofast barely matters.toofast barely matters.
The front of the game looks quite nice. Its good to see you took the time to make an attractive interface.

You should include your code like before. The fact you have to enter in numbers twice is a very weird bug.

Also, pyro, you have failed windows update. It constantly keeps updating my .net framework.

Reply #213 Posted: November 29, 2010, 07:37:13 pm

Offline Pyromanik

Doesn't update if you don't got it installed.
Marked as optional rather than critical, if it's even there at all.

You must also remember that versions 1,2,3 and 4 are all seperate Frameworks.

And after that cryfest:
I've made my challenge in Python.
You will need to install Version 3 of Python to run it (3.1 to be exact).

...Just as soon as I figure out why the fucking board won't reset ><
goddamnit I so just wanna make this in C.
**literally TWO seconds later:
derp derp derp, derpity derp derp: = not == you moran.

Reply #214 Posted: November 29, 2010, 08:08:03 pm

Offline Pyromanik

Python 3.1, dl, clickclick, profit.
Not the tidiest, but that can come later.

Let me know when you're ready for challenge 2 Kayne, we'll do it together again.
(Me taking Virus' place, since he's a short lived fanatic, and I am also just learning Python, since he 'started' it, I thought I should learn it too...)

Reply #215 Posted: November 29, 2010, 08:29:02 pm

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
I'm keen for this next challenge, depending on what it is.

Reply #216 Posted: November 30, 2010, 07:20:11 am

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Spacemonkey;1336785
I'm keen for this next challenge, depending on what it is.
The next challenge is:

GetSomeChess

Pieces have must have customisable icons. This way you can make the different pieces to be the avatars of people from the forums.

Movement rules are not too important at the moment.

Reply #217 Posted: November 30, 2010, 07:39:57 am
I am now banned from GetSome

Challenge accepted.

It will download your avatar from GetSomeforums, based on your profile ID. Now I have to get that chess part working.

Reply #218 Posted: November 30, 2010, 09:12:40 am

Offline Menial

• Addicted
  • Menial is working their way up.Menial is working their way up.Menial is working their way up.
Yay Kayne, it's good to see the youth of today actually trying do something with themselves.

Reply #219 Posted: November 30, 2010, 09:47:58 am

This is the result of too many coffee's in the morning.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/jarik/chess.png
Good programming language to learn?

Coming later, actual game play.

Reply #220 Posted: November 30, 2010, 09:56:22 am

Offline Speakman

• Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!
i can has castle

Reply #221 Posted: November 30, 2010, 10:18:32 am
Quote from: Mellcor
i had kinda hope speakman had died, what a pity

Here is teh first version.

Unzip to somewhere and run the exe file.

It needs .NET 4, if you played Kayne's game, you should have it.

There are no gameplay rules yet, you can stick a piece anywhere, even on your own ones, and it will kill them.

The instructions at the start tell you how to add people's avatars. Not following the instructions will probably cause it to crash.

Reply #222 Posted: November 30, 2010, 11:41:56 am

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
Quote from: Menial;1336823
Yay Kayne, it's good to see the youth of today actually trying do something with themselves.

I love programming lol, It might not show it from my laziness, but yeah. I actually think its fun *nerd*

anyways, chess? Not sure If I can? May have a jab at it tonight :)

btw fuck yeah , pawns are the REAL men in chess.

btw again, Spacemonkey, it seems that if a chess piece kills more than 3 people, then it will blood3 will be dropped when it kills more?

Reply #223 Posted: November 30, 2010, 01:18:16 pm

Offline Pyromanik

My challenge #2 will have to wait for later I guess :<

Reply #224 Posted: November 30, 2010, 01:22:25 pm