Topic: Wot dafuq dis plane?

Offline frankytanky

• Devoted Member
  • frankytanky is working their way up.frankytanky is working their way up.frankytanky is working their way up.
Was going to continue in the model plane thread but though this sort of thing could use its own thread regarding plane spotting etc.

In Invers, just noticed a louder than normal take off noise and went out to investigate.
Didn't seem to be the run of the mill normal plane to come out of here as it didn't sound familiar.
http://www.flightradar24.com/ASY474/2e497d9
ASY474 Royal Australian Air Force Airbus KC-30A (A330-203MRTT)

Being Air force tagged I am guessing it is Military but military supply/cargo or military personal carrier?
Any clues?

Posted: March 15, 2014, 11:27:44 am

Offline genienz

• Devoted Member
  • genienz has no influence.
We had it up here in Auckland the other day. I think they use it as a refueling tanker.

Reply #1 Posted: March 15, 2014, 11:57:51 am

Offline Speakman

• Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!
Yup, that's their new Air refueling tanker, based on the A330

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airbus_A330_MRTT

MRTT meaning Multi-role Tanker/Transport, so can be a troop carrier as well

Reply #2 Posted: March 15, 2014, 12:03:02 pm
Quote from: Mellcor
i had kinda hope speakman had died, what a pity

Offline frankytanky

• Devoted Member
  • frankytanky is working their way up.frankytanky is working their way up.frankytanky is working their way up.
as in refueling other planes in flight? what in NZ would need this?

Reply #3 Posted: March 15, 2014, 12:44:00 pm

Offline Speakman

• Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!
Correct.

NZ doesn't have anything any more. The Skyhawks were able to, and I'm pretty sure the Aermaccis could as well. Aussie could have a couple of their F18s over here for something

Reply #4 Posted: March 15, 2014, 02:28:11 pm

Offline private_hell

• Addicted
  • private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.
they could be certifing the boom of the MRTT with US C-17 - i know the refueling pods under the wings are are full operational but i dont know whether they have reached full operation of hte boom yet 

Reply #5 Posted: March 16, 2014, 10:10:11 pm
"Let him who desires peace prepare for war" - Flavius Vegetius Renatus (375AD) De Rei Militari

Offline Speakman

Yeah could be, that would explain why it was lurking around CHCH for a bit as well

Reply #6 Posted: March 17, 2014, 05:04:57 am

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Ware dafuq dis plane?

Reply #7 Posted: March 17, 2014, 09:10:26 am

Offline frankytanky

• Devoted Member
^^ ha true, you find the smoke monster, you find the plane.

But I really think it is sitting on tarmac somewhere.......

Reply #8 Posted: March 17, 2014, 10:40:48 am

Offline Gutty

• Administrator
  • Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!
it exploded in mid air!

heard first right here!

Reply #9 Posted: March 22, 2014, 11:28:30 pm