Topic: My thoughts on ICONZ CS scene.

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
I see no server named "chill out lounge" :'<

Reply #75 Posted: March 22, 2009, 08:12:46 pm
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline Raped_ByA_Spoon

• Addicted
  • Raped_ByA_Spoon has no influence.
You cant.  Not that I play it, but the simple fact is if you search all australasian servers the only ones populated are those that have office or D2.

Reason being CS Source community is fail.  They like the same shit over and over and over and over and over.

If you want a small hope of getting a server running, you want a basics main stream server which has 5 orig maps, none that people hate, i.e. no assault, none of htat sniper galore hoste map (industrial ?)

Basically you want

Dust 2 (ick)
Office (bla)
Inferno
Chateau (if this is the one you start in the sewers, with a short a or long b)
Italy

Key is not having any of these, FULLSTOP
Assault (fail of fail)
Pirallei (I love this map, one of my favs, but to good for CT's, always kills server)
One where rooms change each round (again as above - bit to dark as well)

No forced team etc etc.  Accept stacking is part of what the community does.

synical player signing out.

So servers
1 x D2 24/7
1 x Cs Source Favs

Reply #76 Posted: March 23, 2009, 10:18:04 am
Mi aerodeslizador está lleno de anguilas

Offline Raped_ByA_Spoon

• Addicted
  • Raped_ByA_Spoon has no influence.
Quote from: R3DM@N;898603

so dont worry we actually do...do something :P

Hater hat on:

Main things that happened was
  • no awp / auto thing dropped = servers popularity plummeting.
  • Custom maps as above
  • Forced teams as above
  • End of stats, as above
  • Removal of RTV as above
  • Assault, etc etc being added as above
  • Game getting older as above
  • Period where hacks were ridiculously abundant and admin numbers light – as above
  • Xlan

I was for a couple of those (i.e. attempts to sort the level of stacking and stats) which on reflection the cure was worse than the problem.

Reply #77 Posted: March 23, 2009, 10:26:06 am
Mi aerodeslizador está lleno de anguilas

Offline Nutzenbeer©

• I Posted!
  • Nutzenbeer© has no influence.
Quote from: Raped_ByA_Spoon;909177
You cant.  Not that I play it, but the simple fact is if you search all australasian servers the only ones populated are those that have office or D2.

Assault (fail of fail)
Someone speaks the truth. quoted for it

Reply #78 Posted: March 23, 2009, 11:46:10 pm

Offline Merchant

• Just settled in
  • Merchant has no influence.
122.100.6.233:27015 = Chill Out Lounge

Reply #79 Posted: March 24, 2009, 09:38:43 pm

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
played there tonight.

one of the best servers i have played on for a while, everything about its setup is nice.

ICONZ should try duplicate that verbatim, down to mods, map limits etc etc etc

Reply #80 Posted: March 24, 2009, 11:27:56 pm
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

Offline Poos

• Just settled in
  • Poos has no influence.
Heaps of servers that aint dd2 and they are normally cranking, do what the chill out lounge and reset the rank once a week.

Reply #81 Posted: March 26, 2009, 02:16:12 am

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
Yep i must say it's a nice playing environment, now i just ned a place liek that with people I know, were quite a few rando tards on there but still a very nice server.

Anyone know if they have a www for the chillout lounge, im not on my pc to be able to do a quick check.

Reply #82 Posted: March 26, 2009, 08:51:57 am
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline Netherai

• Just settled in
  • Netherai has no influence.
Speaking from a position far far away where there are a LOT of servers accessible at pretty much any time, the most popular ones I see are:

Zombiemod
GG (turbo sometimes, but not required)
DD2 24/7 (deathmatch _has_ to allow random weapons, otherwise it's just the same thing all the time, people take one weapon combo and stick with it and tire of it quickly, if it's a full server it's really hard to change weapons because you spawn, start choosing and die before completion, lather, rinse, repeat :sleep: )
Vanilla map servers
de-only map servers

Things that seem to hurt server popularity are some vanilla maps (aztec, assault maybe), constant downloads of new maps, in-game sounds/music, hackers (obviously, but it needs saying :))

The idea of skins sounds okay at first but surely then you also end up with people using fullbright skins and ruining things by "almost" cheating?

One thing that REALLY keeps people on servers though is the community, I can't stress this enough, if there are a number of friendly regulars and the admins make the world an uncomfortable place for those that make the game less fun, people will come and people will stay.

Stats are important, they're a way of judging if you're doing better or worse and what you need to do to improve, where on a map to avoid, etc. Could possibly remove the in-game stuff, limit it or something, no top10 or something maybe? If it's too expensive to run though, makes the game laggy, upsets reg, that's a different matter I guess.

Anyway, miss you all and hope you're all still doing well, it's a bit strange being disconnected from all this so I hope things are working out. Here's looking forward to a functional and fun ICONZ when/if I return (hell, there'll probably be a new version of CS by then :chuckle:)

Nice to know I'm remembered pix :)

Ciao for now,
Neth.

Reply #83 Posted: March 28, 2009, 07:33:37 am
L\'enfer, c\'est les autres

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

• Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!
Hey Netherai!

Reply #84 Posted: March 28, 2009, 08:19:47 am

Offline pix

• Addicted
  • pix has no influence.
Neth, you were the 'International Woman of Mystery' how could we forget? :P

Reply #85 Posted: March 28, 2009, 10:16:29 am
I still call it ICONZ.

Offline Randomized

• Addicted
  • Randomized has no influence.
Quote from: pix;912900
Neth, you were the 'International Man of Mystery' how could we forget? :P

Fixed

Reply #86 Posted: March 28, 2009, 11:20:03 am

Offline Growler

Quote from: far q;912926
Fixed

snigger

Reply #87 Posted: March 28, 2009, 11:48:06 am
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline Netherai

• Just settled in
Anyway, didn't want to derail the thread, sorry.

Just figured this stuff is important, especially given the size of the community, I'd hate to see it fail.

CS has a LOT of competition now, just recently there's things like COD4, Killzone2, TF2, Left4Dead and that's just for starters.

I suppose it's a little heartening that CSSource is still on Valve's top-sellers list, the only game earlier than 2007 that is. For a game from 2004 to manage that there must still be a few players out there to add to the ICONZ community.

Thanks far q, growler :knife: guess I deserved that :whatever:

Is the ICONZ scene really that bad now?

Reply #88 Posted: March 28, 2009, 11:22:37 pm

Offline Randomized

• Addicted
  • Randomized has no influence.
Don't worry, we still luv ya Neth, whatever gender you decide to be.  :p

And yeah, the cs:s community now consists of pub heroes who only know one map.  DD2.

All the old school players have shifted on or play on private servers now.

Reply #89 Posted: March 29, 2009, 12:23:38 am

Offline Poos

• Just settled in
  • Poos has no influence.
Chill out lounge has it so sussed, let me try and remember there setup in detail

1) awp is off but you can vote it off or on if admin allows
2) Good map rotation with the option to votemap
3) You can vote extend map but that automatically makes whole teams swap sides when it extends
4) Rank is reset every Sunday, u can see yr stats but no point in going mad abt temp rank
5) They have some fun maps to break it up a little
6) On fun maps you cant buy flashes
7) If one team is getting rolled server gives all players 16 k to even chances
8) If you shoot a team mate you instantly lose 30 hp, no one ever TK's on purpose
9) Has regular messages on  the screen telling people to not complain like newbs and details on how to complain about bad admins
10) Admins on all the time
11) If you retry your score does not reset ( so u ever chill out or just leave)
12) You are able to bet your money on which team wins (makes speccing fun)
13) says monster kill etc when u doing well ( feels cool to hear)

In the end the weekly rank reset and fun of betting plus no awps with good rotation of maps keeps it really interesting and a fun enviroment.

There is a good reason II see most the old school iconz bois there

Reply #90 Posted: March 29, 2009, 02:32:42 am

Offline pix

• Addicted
  • pix has no influence.
I like:
Quote from: Poos;913209

3) You can vote extend map but that automatically makes whole teams swap sides when it extends
4) Rank is reset every Sunday, u can see yr stats but no point in going mad abt temp rank
8) If you shoot a team mate you instantly lose 30 hp, no one ever TK's on purpose
9) Has regular messages on  the screen telling people to not complain like newbs and details on how to complain about bad admins

Not so much, but could get used to:

5) They have some fun maps to break it up a little - downloading appears to kill NZ servers
6) On fun maps you cant buy flashes - Why not?! They're not THAT annoying
7) If one team is getting rolled server gives all players 16 k to even chances - even on the losing team, this would annoy me
12) You are able to bet your money on which team wins (makes speccing fun) - seems pointless to me, but meh, whatever draws crowds
13) says monster kill etc when u doing well (feels cool to hear) - I hate hearing this, kinda ruins the moment for me if I get a streak

Reply #91 Posted: March 29, 2009, 12:17:51 pm
I still call it ICONZ.

Offline Netherai

• Just settled in
Totally agree with pix here, I'd also love it if there were some way of slapping the spec hax, people who switch to spec and back again to get the 800 :(

Reply #92 Posted: March 29, 2009, 01:14:39 pm

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
WHOLEY FUCKING WHAT THE SHIT, THE GRRL THAT WASN'T A GEWL!

Reply #93 Posted: March 30, 2009, 10:08:20 am
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline Netherai

• Just settled in
Quote from: Pyromanik;913681
WHOLEY FUCKING WHAT THE SHIT, THE GRRL THAT WASN'T A GEWL!

Well, I guess this is _one_ way of drawing attention to an issue, sure :P

Reply #94 Posted: March 30, 2009, 10:50:21 am

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
I think Pyros dumb-filter has been left off today.

Reply #95 Posted: March 30, 2009, 11:02:55 am

Offline enile8

• Devoted Member
  • enile8 has no influence.
Chill out lounge has it so sussed, let me try and remember there setup in detail

5) They have some fun maps to break it up a little
6) On fun maps you cant buy flashes
7) If one team is getting rolled server gives all players 16 k to even chances
12) You are able to bet your money on which team wins (makes speccing fun)
13) says monster kill etc when u doing well ( feels cool to hear)

In the end the weekly rank reset and fun of betting plus no awps with good rotation of maps keeps it really interesting and a fun enviroment.

There is a good reason II see most the old school iconz bois there

yeah that server is very cool.

Also like the alltalk among specs when dead. and how the top 3 players from the week before are listed in the server splash screen and the forum.

I think rank could work well like that especially if KDR doesnt have much effect on your score and its based more accuracy or somthing.

Reply #96 Posted: March 30, 2009, 01:12:13 pm

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

• Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!
I checked the Chill Out Lounge today.

It's pretty much what I like in a server.

If ICONZ had one like that and a dust/dust2 24/7 for the awpwhores that would probably do.

No point in trying to start up a server that has an unpopular map.

Reply #97 Posted: April 01, 2009, 09:55:43 pm

Offline Into The Void

• Devoted Member
  • Into The Void has no influence.
I like Chillout Lounge too, except the horrible ping I get there.

Reply #98 Posted: April 01, 2009, 10:33:03 pm

Offline Growler

yep, chillout & GG are all I visit now.

Thanks for the funtimes ICONZ, if the servers ever get back to how they were I will be sure to add it to the top of my list of do plays.

Reply #99 Posted: April 02, 2009, 09:28:17 am
Think of me like Yoda,