Topic: Rasberry PI - Best invention since sliced bread.

Codex

Yeah doesn't really help with the system time though.

Reply #175 Posted: July 23, 2014, 01:16:17 pm

Offline Xsannz

• Addicted
  • Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!

Reply #176 Posted: July 23, 2014, 01:46:36 pm

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
B+ I hope :D

Maybe you can fix my time/date issue :P

The time syncs correctly but it's always exactly one day behind

gmt+12 set

etc

Syncs on power on

I have nfi why

Ensure timezone and locale are set propers, not just that you've told ntp that +12 or whatever. These vary slightly from distro to distro I think, so best just look it up.

Or/and:
man ntpd

I don't ntp, because I'm a cunt.

Reply #177 Posted: July 24, 2014, 07:46:57 am
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!

Reply #178 Posted: July 24, 2014, 07:49:22 am

Codex

Ensure timezone and locale are set propers, not just that you've told ntp that +12 or whatever. These vary slightly from distro to distro I think, so best just look it up.

Or/and:
man ntpd

I don't ntp, because I'm a cunt.

Sweet will check it out when I get home

Reply #179 Posted: July 24, 2014, 08:10:21 am

Offline Pyromanik

http://linux.die.net/man/8/ntpd

Arch goes like this for timezone:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners_Guide#Time_zone
See just above about locales
and just below about hardware clock

Though if you're using raspbian then best look at however debian does it.

Reply #180 Posted: July 24, 2014, 10:57:59 am

Offline Pyromanik

Got a swanky new monitor to go with the pi kit, so so glorious IPS.
Winning.
Plugged it all in, turned on, had a bit of fun installing via the NOOBS thing.
Haven't had a chance to get into it big time yet because of a couple of factors... one being that I'm super busy.
But Raspberry xbmc thing looks pretty cool.
Raspbian not so much, because it's a faff to change resolution... and it doesn't default to 1920x1080 :/

Reply #181 Posted: July 28, 2014, 04:23:10 am

Offline pop

• Addicted
  • pop barely matters.pop barely matters.
I got a wifi usb dongle and set up raspbmc on my pi, got the xbmc app on my phone so can just use that as a remote. Works great, streaming from movies from my pc to the raspberry pi

Reply #182 Posted: July 28, 2014, 07:05:32 am

Codex

Got a swanky new monitor to go with the pi kit, so so glorious IPS.
Winning.
Plugged it all in, turned on, had a bit of fun installing via the NOOBS thing.
Haven't had a chance to get into it big time yet because of a couple of factors... one being that I'm super busy.
But Raspberry xbmc thing looks pretty cool.
Raspbian not so much, because it's a faff to change resolution... and it doesn't default to 1920x1080 :/
If you use HDMI it does, mine does anyway.

I got a wifi usb dongle and set up raspbmc on my pi, got the xbmc app on my phone so can just use that as a remote. Works great, streaming from movies from my pc to the raspberry pi
Yeah had issues with it sleeping the wifi, had to make a keep alive script in cronjob. Trying to work out flock still though >__<

Reply #183 Posted: July 28, 2014, 08:19:03 am

Offline Pyromanik

HDMI only option. Nah, defaults to some weird reso, iirc it has 7s in it somewhere.
Shit I'll overcome when I get the ability to do cool shit like muck around with it a bit more. Busy chap at the moment!

Reply #184 Posted: July 28, 2014, 10:21:09 am

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
And what the fuck is a crypto miner?

In other words:
What is it doing?

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mining

Mines bitcoin currency by processing a specific algorithm essentially.

Bitcoin vs Silver

Fake Money For Fake People

Reply #185 Posted: August 02, 2014, 10:52:01 am
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
"The World's First Raspberry PI 3D Printer"
http://diy3dprinting.blogspot.co.nz/2014/10/diy-3d-printers-controlled-with.html
This video briefly outlines the building and testing of a unique, home-built, 3D printer which uses a Raspberry PI as its "brain" or CPU.
If you Google (or Bing!) Raspberry PI 3D printer you will find several people who claim to have made "Raspberry PI *Powered* 3D Printers", but if you examine them in detail, they are not actually *powered* by the Raspberry PI at all. These people use the standard firmware which comes with the 3D printer and replace the PC interface with the Raspberry PI - hence the PI is not controlling/powering the printer at all, but simply sending buffered GCODE commands to the pre-built printer and acting as a neat user interface to display print progress etc. This unique 3D printer is not like those; the PI actually controls every part of the machine including, but limited to the motors, heaters and temperature sensors. The 800MHz PI runs the time-critical (virtually real-time), dedicated program with great ease making it possible for a 3-dimensional, plastic (ABS or PLA) model to be printed layer by layer.

The World's First Raspberry PI 3D Printer on Vimeo

Reply #186 Posted: October 11, 2014, 07:24:36 pm

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
^ They're using a computer to control a 3d printer.

What is the big deal?

Reply #187 Posted: October 13, 2014, 10:38:05 am

Offline Tiwaking!

Reply #188 Posted: January 30, 2015, 07:55:06 pm

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Bitcoin vs Silver

That video was so boring.

Reply #189 Posted: January 30, 2015, 08:11:28 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

Bitcoin vs Silver
That video was so boring.
Plus it is irrelevant now. Bitcoin is dead as a stable form of currency. At USD$240 per bitcoin it is uneconomical to mine it and the supply is too slow in responding to rises or falls in value.

If a real life currency acted like Bitcoin, then prices in shops would have to be updated daily. You could argue that Bitcoin can be viewed more as a modicum of exchange, but the American Inland Revenue Service disagrees

Reply #190 Posted: January 30, 2015, 08:55:57 pm

It's great as a means to transfer ransom payments.

Reply #191 Posted: January 31, 2015, 05:34:41 am

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
  • Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!
It costs roughly 200 bitcoins to kill someone unimportant, in America.

I'm pretty sure you can pay for their flight tickets if you want to get someone in another country too

Reply #192 Posted: January 31, 2015, 12:08:03 pm
Top Geary - 27th May 2016 at 12:10 AM
I've learnt to ignore when you say derogatory things to me

Offline Tiwaking!

And so the Raspberry Pi 2 has been released and it is looking pretty good

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2878932/the-raspberry-pi-2-is-more-powerful-but-you-still-get-what-you-pay-for.html
Hands on: the Raspberry Pi 2 is powerful, but you still get what you pay for
By Mikael Ricknäs, IDG News ServiceFeb 2, 2015 1:15 PMe-mailprint
The Raspberry Pi 2 packs more memory and a faster processor than its predecessor, which is enough to turn it into a more functional PC, but don’t expect any miracles: It’s still a $35 product.

The Raspberry Pi 2 was launched on Monday at an event in London, and is a big step forward. That’s because it has twice the amount of memory—1GB of RAM—as the Pi 1, and is powered by a quad-core ARM Cortex A7 processor running at 900MHz, which is much more powerful that then Pi 1’s 700MHz single core ARM processor.

These upgrades are enough to turn the Pi 2 into a usable PC, according to Eben Upton, Raspberry Pi founder and CEO. Even though the original model could be used as a PC, you had to make excuses for it because of the limited hardware capacity, but that is no longer the case with the Pi 2, Upton said.

Reply #193 Posted: February 03, 2015, 08:18:34 pm

Codex

I got one ;D

Reply #194 Posted: February 04, 2015, 08:33:40 am

Offline Tiwaking!

It's great as a means to transfer ransom payments.
Only if you are a bad guy. White Hats get banned.
http://sghuffe.com/coinbase-to-white-hat-hacker-we-dont-want-your-bitcoin/
Less than a year ago, Vinny Troia, CEO and principal security consultant of Night Lion Security and a certified white hat hacker, was sent a compliance form by US bitcoin exchange Coinbase, where he had an account.

Coinbase wanted to know how Troia was using bitcoin and his account.

The ransoms Troia helps his clients pay are those stemming from ransomware attacks, which have surged in number over the past few years. Many, like the well-publicized WannaCry attack, are asking for bitcoin.And the documents?

Troia said:

“We do breach investigations a lot of times. If a fraudster is saying they’re selling my client’s stolen documents, the only way to make sure they have what they say they have is to buy those documents.”

According to Troia, Coinbase “did not like that at all”.
Coinbase then asked the IT expert whether he had a letter from the Department of Justice giving him permission to do those things. No, Troia said. Upon further research, Troia has not found that any such permission exists.

But, “I have my clients authorizing me to do this,” he said.

Coinbase sent Troia back an email explaining that those actions were against the exchange’s rules and shut down his account. Troia then tried setting up an account with his wife’s information, but that too was shut down. Then he tried his brother. Shut down. Then his mother. Shut down.

“My entire family is blocked from Coinbase,” he said.

Reply #195 Posted: June 18, 2017, 02:54:38 pm