Topic: HTC One vs Galaxy S4 - Which one and why?

Offline swindle

• swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!
Nice phones huh?

So I'm just rather curious here. If you had the choice of these, what would you pick?

Gonna bump up from the S3 to either one, and can't really come to a conclusion. The One has some very very good build quality to it with the unibody with an insane DPI, but lacks the removable battery and SD slot. GS4 has a larger screen (all be it only slightly) and some blistering processing power.

The amazing build of the HTC One has me so swayed, that phone could last for a really long time due to that alone. Yes, sure, non-removable battery somewhat contradicts that I know, but it could still be replaced at the end of the day. I enjoy custom ROMs and I'm pretty sure the GS4 will have more support in that area, so I'm really wondering what is the better way to go.

Anyone care to share?

Posted: March 22, 2013, 06:59:39 pm
If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
I'm right now finishing watching a review video for the HTC One.

I think it's a beautifully sculpted phone. However HTC Sense is dragging its feet and bringing it down making the phone feel rushed and not well thought out. Right now, I'm thinking of putting my Nexus 4 on Trademe and getting roughly $550 for it when it arrives and getting either the S4 or the HTC One. I don't like the look of the S4, I think it's an ugly looking phone but it seems to have everyone beat when it comes to pure specs.

If I was to make my dream phone, it would have the Xperia S design, the screen of the HTC one and the OS of the Nexus 4 along with the S4's CPU/GPU.

I really want to pick up an Xperia S, but the Sony UI looks terrashit and at $1000 for the handset when it has the same 1.5GHz QC Krait as the Nexus 4, which is a $299USD phone, I don't feel right giving Sony that much money for an equally spec'd phone.

EDIT: Shit, I may have just been swayed by a recent S4 video.

Dat screen.
Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 07:21:14 pm by Retardobot

Reply #1 Posted: March 22, 2013, 07:06:50 pm

Offline mycoolcar

• Addicted
  • mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...
Why does super awesome build quality matter when you will probably only keep the phone for a maximum of 24 months. Warranty will cover any build issues within this time, so S4 it is.

Reply #2 Posted: March 22, 2013, 08:07:20 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
The more I think about it, the more I'm keen for an S4.

It should have a pretty impressive accessory list to choose from.

Reply #3 Posted: March 22, 2013, 08:09:16 pm

Offline swindle

• swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!
It will I'm sure. Linky to video you watched Rii?

Reply #4 Posted: March 22, 2013, 08:27:02 pm
If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

I just YouTube'd HTC One Review and Galaxy S4 Review and watched the ones with the highest view count.

Reply #5 Posted: March 22, 2013, 08:27:55 pm

Offline swindle

Nice. GS4 will probably be the phone for 2013/14, but still, dat unibody...

Reply #6 Posted: March 22, 2013, 08:33:39 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

I wish the Xperia Z didn't have 4.1.2 with Sony's shit tacked on with something a little more on par other than the 1.5GHz Krait.

I fucking love the handset design.

Reply #7 Posted: March 22, 2013, 08:37:25 pm

Offline Benji77

• Addicted
  • Benji77 has no influence.
Will probably have to import the S4 if you want the 8core version. (not to much of a problem tho)

I think NZ will be getting a Qcore version.

Reply #8 Posted: March 22, 2013, 08:57:20 pm
Arrrr!!! I\'m a Pirate!

Offline swindle

Yeah looks that way I think. What a fucking joke. Oh wells, maybs import a few and flick for a cool margin.

Reply #9 Posted: March 22, 2013, 09:19:45 pm

Offline BerG

• Terminator

• BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.
I'm swayed by the HTC One build, that's one quality handset.

Went off Samsung after having the S2 and realising how cheap and plasticky they feel.

Reply #10 Posted: March 22, 2013, 09:22:43 pm

Offline swindle

Quote from: BerG;1521576
how cheap and plasticky they feel.

And this is what breaks my balls. Love my S3, and the build doesn't bother me toooo much...

But it feels like plastic. $1000 should buy a better build with Samsung tbh. A shame that the fucking piece of shit Galaxy S3 Mini (wtfanyways) feels very much like the flagship S3, and it 1/2 the price.

I'd just like to hold em both at the same time, the S4 and HTC. Now where the fuck in this country will I get to do that?

No-where. That's where.
Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 10:10:54 pm by swindle

Reply #11 Posted: March 22, 2013, 10:08:51 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

Well, that's made my decision easy then.

Wont be getting an S4.

What a complete fucking stupid thing to do. Fragmenting the phone specs like that.

Asia and the Middle East get the I9500 (Octa) and most of the rest of the world gets the I9505 (1.9Ghz Krait).

That puts me off Samsung.

Reply #12 Posted: March 22, 2013, 11:00:07 pm

Offline oefox

• Devoted Member
  • oefox has no influence.
To be fair, the htc one is the same generation as the S3, I would take the htc over the S3 any day but the S4 is latest gen.

Also, I ALWAYS ignore reviews about the proprietary UI, I always blow away the rom and install a custom one. It would be nice, for me, to see comparisons of phones running the same generic roms like cyanogen/miui.

Should say, I have the sensation and bought my fiance the sensation xe, being a one shop house makes things so much simpler. I do a rom, she plays with it before doing it to her own (sounds dodge), good thing they are identical hardware.
Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 09:23:23 am by oefox

Reply #13 Posted: March 23, 2013, 09:19:57 am
- badfox

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

Wiping the Xperia Z in prep for a custom rom removes the Sony Bravia Engine used for the screen.

Reply #14 Posted: March 23, 2013, 10:34:10 am

Offline swindle

Quote from: Retardobot;1521618
Wiping the Xperia Z in prep for a custom rom removes the Sony Bravia Engine used for the screen.

Any custom ROM worth its weight will have the screen engine included.

Reply #15 Posted: March 23, 2013, 12:42:43 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

Quote from: swindle;1521629
Any custom ROM worth its weight will have the screen engine included.

Apparently the engine is intertwined with DRM. And when unlocking the phone, you wipe the DRM that is intertwined with a few other things as well.

Hopefully some clever bloke is able to port the engine without the DRM. I really like the Bravia Engine, it's what makes Sony TVs magical. However, a lot of reviewers aren't liking the screen on the Xperia Z due to its viewing angle.
Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 01:18:38 pm by Retardobot

Reply #16 Posted: March 23, 2013, 01:12:54 pm

Offline Xsannz

• Addicted
  • Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!
just flogged my s3 fot 550 waiting on the s4.. going to preorder byt not a telecom ones as rumours through the internal telco grapevine are they will be modified roms for telecom and locked to telecom frequencies   to stop people jumpign ship...
Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 03:00:52 pm by Xsannz

Reply #17 Posted: March 23, 2013, 02:44:23 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

Sad face.

If I'm to get something, it'd be on a Telecom plan because Vodafone's plans are beyond shithouse.

Reply #18 Posted: March 23, 2013, 03:08:14 pm

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Vodafone is beyond shithouse.

Have bestmate with the missus. Ironically she's the only person who never receives a single text I send.

Reply #19 Posted: March 23, 2013, 03:47:21 pm
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

Quote from: Pyromanik;1521639
Vodafone is beyond shithouse.

Always this.

Their 4G campaign makes me laugh.

[size=50]4G IS LIVE![/size]

in parts of Auckland

Reply #20 Posted: March 23, 2013, 04:02:15 pm

Offline Xsannz

• Addicted
  • Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!
my voda works well ...

i want the international version s4  and then use it on telecom.

telecom s3 still has not had a sinle update..  international uk s3 rom is at latest version 6 updates ... nz voda rom is at update 2...

so no matter if telecom gets the phones in first i wont buy one of their branded pieces of locked down shit.

Reply #21 Posted: March 23, 2013, 04:05:22 pm

Offline swindle

Looks like its gonna be an online order for this S4.

Shitty country with shitty telco providers.

Reply #22 Posted: March 23, 2013, 07:11:44 pm

Offline trololololo

• Just settled in
  • trololololo barely matters.trololololo barely matters.
Quote from: Benji77;1521573
Will probably have to import the S4 if you want the 8core version. (not to much of a problem tho)

I think NZ will be getting a Qcore version.

your right benji both telcom and vodafone are advertising that the phone is 4G LTE capable, and the 8 core doesn't have a LTE radio while the 4 core does

Reply #23 Posted: March 24, 2013, 10:35:24 am

Offline Xsannz

• Addicted
telecom are not offereing 4g services... and locking their handset from vodafones network

Reply #24 Posted: March 24, 2013, 11:58:38 am