Topic: Upgrade advice.

Offline Biggs !

• I Posted!
  • Biggs ! has no influence.
Hi Guys,

Started looking at upgrading my PC to be ready for BF4.

My current specs are
- Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-P55-UD3
- CPU: i5 Quad core  750 @ 2.67 GHz
- Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3- 1333 PC3 - 10666  2GB x2 ( Total 4 GB)
- Graphics: Asus Nivda GTX 560 Ti.
- HDD : 1 tb x 2 (will be upgrading to SSD)

Not sure what to move to make, upgrade the whole system,  just in-cress the memory to 8 GB and to start overclocking the CPU or is not worth doing anything?

what you guys think?

Posted: September 15, 2013, 12:00:49 pm

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Hey Biggs, I told you I'd make it someday.

Reply #1 Posted: September 15, 2013, 12:33:30 pm

Offline mycoolcar

• Addicted
  • mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...
You should do everything.

Reply #2 Posted: September 15, 2013, 12:55:56 pm

Offline Emrico1

• Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!
Do you have a budget? How much do you want to spend?

If you are tight on cash maybe;

Another 560ti in SLI might be enough depending if your PSU is ~750W+. You have two PCI-e slots (one will run at x4 which isn't ideal but still OK).
Maybe a boss cooler like a H80i and overclock on the i5 750. Then maybe a fresh format on a nice SSD.

Then see how she runs. If you aren't happy... Ugrade fully and use the cooler on your new rig.

Edit: There is one on trademe... A little pricey but ends in eight hours http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/components/video-cards/pciexpress/auction-638193468.htm
Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 02:11:53 pm by Emrico1

Reply #3 Posted: September 15, 2013, 02:02:02 pm

Offline Biggs !

• I Posted!
  • Biggs ! has no influence.
Quote from: Spacemonkey;1531616
Hey Biggs, I told you I'd make it someday.

LOL !

Quote from: Emrico1;1531618
Do you have a budget? How much do you want to spend?

If you are tight on cash maybe;

Another 560ti in SLI might be enough depending if your PSU is ~750W+. You have two PCI-e slots (one will run at x4 which isn't ideal but still OK).
Maybe a boss cooler like a H80i and overclock on the i5 750. Then maybe a fresh format on a nice SSD.

Then see how she runs. If you aren't happy... Ugrade fully and use the cooler on your new rig.

Edit: There is one on trademe... A little pricey but ends in eight hours http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/components/video-cards/pciexpress/auction-638193468.htm

Thanks, that what i was thinking as well, just trying to see what the smartest option would be.

If i were to add another 560 ti i would need to upgrade the PSU (550w atm), i think that option is out. Unless i do i full upgrade.

If i were to do a full upgrade what specs do you think i should aim for ?

Reply #4 Posted: September 15, 2013, 02:34:34 pm

Offline Emrico1

• Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!
Quote from: Biggs !;1531620
LOL !

If i were to do a full upgrade what specs do you think i should aim for ?

Best thing to do is set a firm budget and work back from there, trying to get the best performance for the money.

+ Sell your old parts (or keep a backup rig)

So you really need to start with a price.
Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 03:19:12 pm by Emrico1

Reply #5 Posted: September 15, 2013, 03:16:30 pm