Topic: Home audio help

Offline mycoolcar

• Addicted
  • mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...
Anyone know much about home audio?

Parents are after an amp/receiver to play music through existing wall mounted speakers. Have tried to get some specs of the speakers, but have only been able to find out they are 120w max. There are 6 speakers across two zones. 4 inside, 2 out. Want to be able to play music to 4 or 2, or all 6 at once.

Also needs:
- Plugin for iphone/ipod/ipad/android devices
- Wireless playing of music from above devices
- Ability to plug into tv via HDMI
- Ability to plug into a CD player via RCA
- Downloadable app for apple and android devices that allow them to be used as a remote
- Speaker zones as above

Budget, approx $1000

Any ideas? Getting ready to go to Noel Lemmings or Harvey Norman to see what they want to sell us.

Posted: October 14, 2013, 09:29:54 pm

Offline BeNZene

• Forum Admin
  • BeNZene might someday be someone...BeNZene might someday be someone...BeNZene might someday be someone...BeNZene might someday be someone...
I bought an earlier model of an Onkyo receiver like this when I was living in a place with 4+2 built in speakers:
http://www.jbhifi.co.nz/jb-hi-fi-home-audio/receiver/onkyo/network-stereo-receiver-sku-26769/
http://www.uk.onkyo.com/en/products/tx-8050-43158.html

I haven't looked up this particular model, but given mines an earlier model I got for less, I would expect it to have everything you've suggested (possibly except wireless iphone/ipad play).

(I should add that I'm no audiophile)

Reply #1 Posted: October 14, 2013, 09:38:08 pm

Offline Xenolightning

• Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!

Reply #2 Posted: October 14, 2013, 09:56:53 pm
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline mattnz

• mattnz is working their way up.mattnz is working their way up.mattnz is working their way up.
This little fella seems pretty popular, will do the job, also with wifi and the blueteeth.

http://pricespy.co.nz/product.php?e=1820289

You may also want to measure the impedance of the speakers, to make sure they're not something silly like 4ohms. Use the difference on a half decent set of speakers.
Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 11:27:26 am by mattnz

Reply #3 Posted: October 15, 2013, 11:14:06 am
Now that you have read this, plz give me neg rep :>

Offline monpepe

• Devoted Member
  • monpepe has no influence.
Mate, have a look at the marantz 6004. They sell it at harvey Norman. Best pure hifi for $

Consider partnering with decent DAC and u be good.

Reply #4 Posted: October 15, 2013, 01:54:40 pm

Offline mattnz

• mattnz is working their way up.mattnz is working their way up.mattnz is working their way up.
It depends on the quality of the speakers though, if they're not up to scratch that's just throwing money away. Also no network and it's stereo.
Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 02:15:58 pm by mattnz

Reply #5 Posted: October 15, 2013, 02:11:24 pm
Now that you have read this, plz give me neg rep :>

Offline mycoolcar

• Addicted
  • mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...
So ended up some friends were moving to the USA and couldn't take any of their tv/audio jazz with them because of the voltage change, so they gave it to us.

I now have a 45inch LCD in my bedroom, plus we got an amp which does what we need, along with a record player, DVD player, CD stacker, freeview box, apple tv and all sorts of stuff.

I like free stuff.

Reply #6 Posted: January 19, 2014, 08:35:07 pm

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
I like free stuff.

Free stuff is the best stuff!

Reply #7 Posted: January 19, 2014, 08:52:34 pm
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

Offline mycoolcar

• Addicted
http://www.iforce.co.nz/View.aspx?i=ihk5vdno.irv.jpg
Home audio help

Reply #8 Posted: January 19, 2014, 08:55:09 pm

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
You cunt

Reply #9 Posted: January 19, 2014, 08:59:25 pm
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

Offline Xenolightning

• Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!
I like your background picature. Who took that :P

Reply #10 Posted: January 19, 2014, 10:54:46 pm
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline Demandred

• Game Server Admin
  • Demandred has no influence.
Am guessing MCC did on his travels

nice layout

Reply #11 Posted: January 19, 2014, 11:05:36 pm

Offline Zenith

• Just settled in
  • Zenith has no influence.
I got the Onkyo TXNR626.  https://www.heathcotes.co.nz/products/txnr626-onkyo-av-receiver
Could go up to the 727 for a bit more power out and I think a zone 3 option.  626 has enough power for me, if I put speakers in the living room I can just do external A-B switch off zone 2 or separate amp off zone 2 RCA outs.
I am running a 5.1 in the lounge and a pair of Jaycar ceiling speakers outside.  Has an app (android at least - havent looked for Apple) Zone 2 you have to select individually rather than a Speaker A-B switch.  you can't do digital (HDMI) out of the zone 2 so my HTPC wont play outside but the internet radio, FM and analog CD player would.  (I am yet to find a way to get Digital and analog out of PC at once)  you can have zone 2 separate so the kids can watch a movie while you sit outside listening to Zeppelin with a beer in your hand.

Reply #12 Posted: January 20, 2014, 09:41:42 am
 (Until I find a current one...)

Offline mycoolcar

• Addicted
I didn't take the pic. I stole it from somewhere on the internet. I have a bunch of them that changes every 10 mins. pimping.

I use to have women with hardly any clothes on, but seeing as the whole street would be able to see them on the LCD, I changed.

Ones like this.

http://www.iforce.co.nz/View.aspx?i=gj3ccwdz.qky.jpg
Home audio help

Reply #13 Posted: January 20, 2014, 07:10:17 pm

Offline nevjmac

• Just settled in
  • nevjmac has no influence.
I use to have women with hardly any clothes on, but seeing as the whole street would be able to see them on the LCD, I changed.

Sounds familiar, I think I have 2500 pics of women randomly appearing on my 3 screens, best part is I have a little app that makes different ones because windows random is gay, Thanks Johns Background Switcher

Reply #14 Posted: January 20, 2014, 08:15:23 pm

Offline mycoolcar

• Addicted
o
m
g

Thank you John for your background switcher.

Also thanks nev.

Reply #15 Posted: January 20, 2014, 08:31:26 pm

Offline nevjmac

• Just settled in
  • nevjmac has no influence.
o
m
g

Thank you John for your background switcher.

Also thanks nev.

:) haha nps

Reply #16 Posted: January 20, 2014, 09:03:22 pm

Offline Xenolightning

*Cough*

Xeno found it for Nev (when looking at developing something to do that)

*Cough*

:P

Reply #17 Posted: January 20, 2014, 11:25:36 pm
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Codex

I fail to see the problem here

Reply #18 Posted: January 21, 2014, 09:26:39 am