Topic: Good programming language to learn?

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
A programmers fuel is coffee.

Reply #75 Posted: November 22, 2010, 03:17:40 pm

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
  • Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!
Lol. So keen to start learning but problems is still at school. He probably wont get home for like 2 hours.

hurrrr.... I would start now but Visual Studio required me to chose a default language. I would go C# but problems said something about F#

... cannot...wait...anymore...

Reply #76 Posted: November 22, 2010, 03:54:27 pm
Top Geary - 27th May 2016 at 12:10 AM
I've learnt to ignore when you say derogatory things to me

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Go C#

F# is just for maths programming or something like that.

Reply #77 Posted: November 22, 2010, 04:10:02 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
  • Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.
C# do it.

You can make games with it.
It is relatively easy to learn.
And has the best job opportunities.

Reply #78 Posted: November 22, 2010, 04:11:44 pm

Offline AintNoMeInTeam

• Devoted Member
  • AintNoMeInTeam has no influence.
i agree, go with C#

Reply #79 Posted: November 22, 2010, 06:56:07 pm
Nobody will ever win the battle of the sexes...there\'s too much fraternizing with the enemy.
-Henry Kissinger

Offline toofast

• Addicted
  • toofast barely matters.toofast barely matters.
Go into VS, make a new app, choose windows form application. It will make a form for you. Throw a button, and a textbox on there. double click on the button, and it will make an event. Add some code into it, to make it display something in the text box when you hit the button (textbox.text = "blah"), compile/run, and you have your first program up and running.

Then from there just add more things onto it, investigate other toolbox things. I suggest looking at things like timers, background workers, multiline textboxes etc. Just go onto msdn, search the item, and it will give you some sample code using it. Just copy and paste that into your program, then play around with it.

Maybe set yourself a goal of making a simple program to do something.

Reply #80 Posted: November 22, 2010, 08:19:51 pm

Offline Speakman

• Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!
one of my first coding exercises i remember was in VB, we made a calculator app. was pretty cool. then we made minigolf

Reply #81 Posted: November 22, 2010, 08:21:28 pm
Quote from: Mellcor
i had kinda hope speakman had died, what a pity

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: toofast;1334448
make it display something in the text box when you hit the button (textbox.text = "blah")

Bullshit.
Everyone knows the text MUST be "Hello world."
These are the rules.

Reply #82 Posted: November 22, 2010, 08:44:00 pm
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline Virus.

• Devoted Member
  • Virus. has no influence.
Dang, this programming shit sounds interesting. The most experience I have with it though is source engine scripting. I'm also interested in modelling. I'm really not sure what type of brain I am that would make me better for one or the other. Being able to make game characters do certain stuff sounds cool to me, but making a gun or a model doesn't sounds to bad either.

Well, I've gotten pretty good at scripting if that's any help, and I find getting it all to work together enjoyable. I have now gone over the top and use a fast setting change and weapon use script for every character in TF2.

And then there's website design, which doesn't sounds too bad either.

Dang, what to do?

Reply #83 Posted: November 22, 2010, 09:23:22 pm

Offline toofast

• Addicted
Quote from: Pyromanik;1334460
make it display something in the text box when you hit the button (textbox.text = "blah")

Bullshit.
These are the rules.

Those be the rules in the console. The only rule for text boxes is there are no rules. They be wild.

Reply #84 Posted: November 22, 2010, 10:01:39 pm

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
  • Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!
yeah, the form is EXACTLY like visual basic. I spose i'll make a calculator.

Dammit, I remember why I didn't make a calculator in Visual Basic.

I'm not quite sure how to make the numbers work i.e, if you press 8, Then press 3, I have no idea how to make it change from 8 to 83...Unless I times 8 by 10... oooobrb

Reply #85 Posted: November 22, 2010, 10:04:40 pm

Windows forms is old, WPF is the new Windows forms.

Reply #86 Posted: November 22, 2010, 10:27:49 pm

Quote from: `Kayne;1334480
I'm not quite sure how to make the numbers work i.e, if you press 8, Then press 3, I have no idea how to make it change from 8 to 83...Unless I times 8 by 10... oooobrb

Add each key press to a character string, then parse the string to a number when you do the calculation.

Reply #87 Posted: November 22, 2010, 10:32:25 pm

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
I can no longer set a label's caption to a number, wtfwtfwtfwtf

Might just wait for Problems.

I've set a interger variable with int x, z;
and i'm trying to edit the x value everytime a button is pressed, This is the coding I wrote for the number 1 button.

Code: [Select]
x = x * 10 + 1;
label1.Text = x;

It doesn't seem to like the fact that I want to "implicity convert type 'int' to 'string'"

Why nottttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

Reply #88 Posted: November 22, 2010, 10:44:54 pm

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: toofast;1334479
Quote from: Pyromanik;1334460

Bullshit.
These are the rules.

Those be the rules in the console. The only rule for text boxes is there are no rules. They be wild.

That's cake and you know it.
A GUI is the beginning of a brave new world...

Reply #89 Posted: November 22, 2010, 10:49:31 pm

Offline Pyromanik

Quote from: Virus.;1334471
Dang, this programming shit sounds interesting. The most experience I have with it though is source engine scripting. I'm also interested in modelling. I'm really not sure what type of brain I am that would make me better for one or the other. Being able to make game characters do certain stuff sounds cool to me, but making a gun or a model doesn't sounds to bad either.

Well, I've gotten pretty good at scripting if that's any help, and I find getting it all to work together enjoyable. I have now gone over the top and use a fast setting change and weapon use script for every character in TF2.

And then there's website design, which doesn't sounds too bad either.

Dang, what to do?

Web has a low barrier of entry. If you're one of the rare kind that can do both good code and good design, then you could go far. But it's a tough market for jobs. Gotta have some kind of in, and experience counts for a lot.

Go do some tertiary study, take a range of courses, see what you like more after doing them all a bit. Also, party hard and have fun (but don't forget to actually do some study like I did, or you'll fail... like I did).

Reply #90 Posted: November 22, 2010, 10:51:45 pm

Offline toofast

• Addicted
Quote from: `Kayne;1334494
I can no longer set a label's caption to a number, wtfwtfwtfwtf

Might just wait for Problems.

I've set a interger variable with int x, z;
and i'm trying to edit the x value everytime a button is pressed, This is the coding I wrote for the number 1 button.

x = x * 10 + 1;
label1.Text = x;

It doesn't seem to like the fact that I want to "implicity convert type 'int' to 'string'"

Why nottttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

Well .Text is a string property of the textbox, while x is an int. The problem is you are converting the variable, without telling c# you want to. So the compiler is complaining. To fix this just go label1.Text = x.toString();

or

you can type cast. which is where you go (type you want) variable. so text = (string)x; [though i am not sure if you can cast int to string]

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms173105.aspx

As always msdn is your friend.

Reply #91 Posted: November 22, 2010, 11:09:34 pm

Offline Pyromanik

Strong typed language buddy, none of this soft scripty shit.
Luckily you have an array of nifty library functions available to you, such as toString and the like.
They make programming easy :>
(as opposed to C proper, going it alone with the likes of atoi() like a real hardman xD)

Reply #92 Posted: November 22, 2010, 11:37:27 pm

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
Its 1 step forwards and 2 steps back with programming lol.

Time to wait for tomorrow.

Reply #93 Posted: November 23, 2010, 12:18:56 am

Offline toofast

• Addicted
Don't you mean sprintf(). atoi() is string to int.

But yea, thats why i like c#. It has a lot of decent methods already set up, to do some of the more tricky stuff, so you don't need to waste time writing all of the low level things.

Reply #94 Posted: November 23, 2010, 12:21:42 am

Offline Pyromanik

Quote from: toofast;1334534

But yea, thats why i like c#. It has a lot of decent methods already set up, to do some of the more tricky stuff, so you don't need to waste time writing all of the low level things.

char* to int ;D

and yes, I know. I couldn't be arsed changing it after I realised.
And no, I didn't mean sprintf, I meant itoa(). Type conversion, not printing.

And C# really is just MS's version of Java huh.

Reply #95 Posted: November 23, 2010, 12:25:34 am

Offline toofast

• Addicted
Quote from: Pyromanik;1334535
Quote from: toofast;1334534

char* to int ;D

and yes, I know.
And no, I didn't mean sprintf, I meant itoa()

wouldn't you use sprintf over itoa(), since itoa is nonstandard. And you say array of char, i say string :P

Reply #96 Posted: November 23, 2010, 12:28:50 am

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: `Kayne;1334494
x = x * 10 + 1;
label1.Text = x;
You can use a dirty way to do this in Java by simply adding the number to an empty string. Probably shouldnt do this though.
x=x*10+1;
label1.setText(""+x);

Reply #97 Posted: November 23, 2010, 06:50:34 am
I am now banned from GetSome

I find string.format really useful

string someWords = string.format("Words and shit {0} {1}", x , y);

{0} and {1} are replace by x and y respectively. Where x/y can be a number or a string.

Reply #98 Posted: November 23, 2010, 07:30:25 am

If you have access to dreamspark, see if you can get a XNA Creators Club Academic Membership, then you can run your games on your xbox 360.

However, if you don't have an xbox, then it wouldn't be much use.

Reply #99 Posted: November 23, 2010, 08:22:38 am