Topic: My thoughts on ICONZ CS scene.

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
Server Changes, my thoughts.

just voicing some thoughts, figured i would share with the CS crew.

Time to drop the servers back to old skool ICONZ servers.

2 servers, both 16 or 20 players. Default map rotation. 20 mins per map.

No ingame rank available other than the mani based 1.

FF ON, this is a major draw-card for ICONZ. DD24/7 is hurting ICONZ more then it is helping.

Trust me when i say this, if you build 2 QUALITY, default rtation, FF on servers, the numbers WILL come back. Its time to go back to quality basic then catering for the ICONZ 'elite'

With ICONZ on the possible backdoor, look to be pro-active and make some changes that could benefit the community with numbers.

If you do go back to 2 vanilla servers, you need to have a pop up ingame message every 5-10 mins about the forums, this is easily added via mani setup.

Way back when I was involved with CS and Iconz, I fought black and blue to get back to our roots of good quality servers, the day we (ICONZ) went to HLSTATSX was the day quality dropped.

summary

2 x 16-20 slot servers.
FF ON
Default Map Cycle
NO INGAME STATS, drop HLSTASX and either use the inbuilt mani stats or Psychostats (the only true skill based stats)http://www.psychostats.com/downloads/ if stats HAVE to be used.
More in game advertising.

Way back when, ICONZ used to be one of the busiest CS places around, in game and in the forums. You could be waiting for 20+ mins to get into one of the full servers. None of this 24/7 dust crap and non stop spawn camping, people played to pwn and win, not to rank up like whores.

Yeah losing ranks might lose some people, better to lose some and gain more in the long run, then to keep your slice of the pie so small that no one cares who or what you are. Make ICONZ the CS force it USED to be!

end of ramble, have a good one.

Cheers, G

Posted: March 03, 2009, 11:32:39 am
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

Offline foRsakEn

• Addicted
  • foRsakEn has no influence.
CSS Sucks who would play it.

Reply #1 Posted: March 03, 2009, 12:15:48 pm
Want to see how your PC stacks up against the rest?

GetSome\'s Official Benchmarking Leaderboards

Offline Into The Void

• Devoted Member
  • Into The Void has no influence.
I disagree. CSS is an oldish game now. It's expected that less people play it. I've grown to like the dust2 server. Sure it gets stacked most of the time and people just awpwhore, but at least it fills the server.

Maybe you could change the other servers. I highly doubt people will play in them anyway. If Dust2 went away people would just go play Recoil 24/7 or whatever. If stats went away heaps of people would stop playing because people find them interesting.

About stats. Resetting them wouldn't go amiss.

Reply #2 Posted: March 03, 2009, 12:43:34 pm

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
I ask this honestly void, do you not think the DD24/7 just caters to a minority of regular rank whores?

Always the same people playing, camping, rank whoring. New people come along, play for 5 mins, get sick of the same tards doing the same thing and fuck off to go play on another server hosted by another company.

I dont know if you were round before hlstatsx came in, but the servers were truly magic, full, fun environments. Hem! was round, atvar and his whores frequented, they were funtimes, and the game was played how it was designed to be played.

IMO ICONZ has just fallen into a rut and to get out of it, its gonna upset some of the rank whores.

Reply #3 Posted: March 03, 2009, 12:53:55 pm
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: relworG;897297
Always the same people playing, camping, rank whoring. New people come along, play for 5 mins, get sick of the same tards doing the same thing and fuck off to go play on another server hosted by another company.

You just described my current behaviour on the ICONZ CSS Dust server perfectly.

Go on for 5 minutes. See the same camp whores (Spray'N'Wipe + Hung Hing) on T's holding spawn, same idiots (Void) spewing their rage and the same tards complaining of AWPs. It takes me about 5mins to get sick of it and move on to GameArena.

Reply #4 Posted: March 03, 2009, 12:58:22 pm

Offline hemihapuka

• Addicted
  • hemihapuka has no influence.
Everything that you said Growler except for I would ditch the dust2 24/7 in my opinion, and also add a deathmatch server , I know we tried this earlier but we didn't give it a real good chance to get up and running and had teething problems and that led it to being deleted.

Because of whats happening at the moment with Iconz http://forums.iconzarena.com/showthread.php?t=48701 go here dudes and have your input just dont be tossers. I feel if we dropped down to min Servers as the rest are not getting used. Saves on bandwithe

1 x 20 slot Popular Server
1 x 20 slot Vanilla Server
1 x 20 slot Deathmatch Server

All Friendly Fire enabled.

Stats or Rank not fussed .
The pro's of having Rank is that guys that are average players but are regulars to the Servers can still rank high because they play more on the Server which gives them some type of reward.
The pro's for Stats are they are exactly what they say they are which is a better reflection on how you are playing etc .

Ideas people but Growlers on the right track so all in favour say "I"

"I"

Reply #5 Posted: March 03, 2009, 01:09:23 pm
The answer to this last question will determine whether you are drunk or not. Was Mickey Mouse a cat or a dog ?

Offline Growler

hahah did i not make it clear about DD24/7

drop it, make it history, BEGONE!

I help run and maintain a GGDM server on another provider, its ingame player numbers put ICONZ to shame in its current form.

Reply #6 Posted: March 03, 2009, 01:17:56 pm
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline Growler

This is just a FYI.

other provider of CSS GGDM
Tracking 36,682 players with 14,694,620 kills and 4,233,955 headshots (28.81%) on 2 servers

ICONZ as of current
Tracking 19,927 players with 1,472,398 kills and 625,824 headshots (42.50%) on 4 servers

That is some pretty huge differences in numbers. Almost double the player base, 10 x the kills, half the servers. And to be perfectly honest, its the most laid back under policed and resourced place around. The effort that goes into running it and admin' it is very little at best.

Reply #7 Posted: March 03, 2009, 01:21:48 pm
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline grass

• Just settled in
  • grass has no influence.
Ive just started playing CSS again after a bit of time out, seriously, used to love the Iconz servers and the FF is the major reason I play it, as well as the crossover between the servers and the forums, BUT seriously, CSS was never meant to be a single map game, DD2 24/7 is by far the worst idea for a server anyone ever had.
Would love to see Iconz go back to the map rotation normal css servers, and sure a deathmatch one would be awesome as well, i get a little sick of the GA one.

And as someone said in the saving Iconzarena thread, there is no point having 5 servers to only use 1, get 2 or 3 really good servers and get them used. Ill sure use them

Reply #8 Posted: March 03, 2009, 03:06:08 pm

Offline 3viction

• Addicted
  • 3viction has no influence.

Sounds like me, I get sick of the same map over and over.

Rotation with all maps would be good, I'd join it more often than I join the current dd2 24/7 server.

I don't see the point in having two of the same servers up and running straight off, if it's popular you could add another server up but I think it would be better to do what hemi suggested and have a deathmatch or popular maps server.

Reply #9 Posted: March 03, 2009, 04:11:27 pm
snprkd

Offline ubernuber

• Devoted Member
  • ubernuber has no influence.
How many times in the last year or so have we tried to get the other servers populated? It lasts for a map or 2 and then it empties again... I'd love to see the old times back, but the bulk of the players from those days no longer play, and the new guys seem to love 24/7.

Don't get me wrong I'd love to see this work, and I would certainly be on a lot more than I am now, but from the number of times we have tried and failed to get the old style servers going... I'm just not sure if Iconz css would stay alive if we ditched the 24/7 server.

Reply #10 Posted: March 03, 2009, 04:22:39 pm

Offline Growler

take a gamble and ditch it/them and do the GGDM + Vanilla.

Worst case scenario you can always fall back to DD24/7

Reply #11 Posted: March 03, 2009, 04:27:01 pm
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline Virus.

• Devoted Member
  • Virus. has no influence.
Quote from: foRsakEn;897277
CSS Sucks who would play it.

Then why are you in the CS:S forum?

Reply #12 Posted: March 03, 2009, 08:55:37 pm

Offline maorifulla

• Addicted
  • maorifulla has no influence.
bring back pricey!!!!

Reply #13 Posted: March 03, 2009, 10:39:47 pm

Offline -EVO-

• Just settled in
  • -EVO- has no influence.
"I" miss the old times.

Tried to have a game of CSS about a month ago and all the servers I could find with a decent amount of ppl in them were either Dust24/7, Office 24/7, Assault 24/7, Gungame 24/7 and some rubbish prison break crap. I gave up.

Reply #14 Posted: March 03, 2009, 11:15:28 pm

Offline Hand!cap

• Just settled in
  • Hand!cap has no influence.
If you build it they will come...:rnr:

Reply #15 Posted: March 04, 2009, 03:46:21 am

Offline lapampa

• Just settled in
  • lapampa has no influence.
It worked for Kevin Costner.......

Reply #16 Posted: March 04, 2009, 09:20:39 am

Offline Poos

• Just settled in
  • Poos has no influence.
If you want to get the hard core players and the old school you need to have maps they will both play. Example, dd2, inferno, nuke, train (scrim maps) and maybe italy for the lols. Im keen as for that server:bigglasse

Reply #17 Posted: March 04, 2009, 10:47:20 am

Offline enile8

• Devoted Member
  • enile8 has no influence.
"I"

Agree with everything in the OP.

Would play lots more iconz if it wasn't just dd2 24/7. I to join and then rage cause of the same old rank whores camping t spawn etc.

Reply #18 Posted: March 04, 2009, 12:16:49 pm

Offline Growler

i had to update a srcds (sorce server) yesterday to create some nav files. Fuck me i almos had a heart attack when i saw the map names. I wa slike wtf, PORT fuck me the last time i played those maps would of been a year or so ago! Piranesi, port, inferno prodigy, malitia, tides....

man i would so like to go back to old skool servers and nut it out on maps like port, malitia and that again.

Reply #19 Posted: March 04, 2009, 12:23:08 pm
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline R3DM@N

• Addicted
  • R3DM@N has no influence.
Quote from: Poos;898038
If you want to get the hard core players and the old school you need to have maps they will both play. Example, dd2, inferno, nuke, train (scrim maps) and maybe italy for the lols. Im keen as for that server:bigglasse

bro there is servers there for that man..

Reply #20 Posted: March 04, 2009, 12:25:55 pm

Offline Into The Void

• Devoted Member
I ask this honestly void, do you not think the DD24/7 just caters to a minority of regular rank whores?

I dont know if you were round before hlstatsx came in, but the servers were truly magic, full, fun environments. Hem! was round, atvar and his whores frequented, they were funtimes, and the game was played how it was designed to be played.

IMO ICONZ has just fallen into a rut and to get out of it, its gonna upset some of the rank whores.

It does cater to rankwhores. I'm not keen on rankwhores however i'm scared that by removing rank a lot of players will stop playing and go play somewhere else with rank. Meaning basically instead of at least having a full server, it'll barely ever be full. As for rank I like it. I hate the points system and the whole i'm #1 ranked harhar crap. I love watching my KPD ratio increase over time as you get better. I love seeing that i've killed nubbles 14 times and him only killed me 7. Seeing i've killed Jinx 11 times and he's killed me 12 (that's not bad against him, you have to admit) Nice seeing how many of my kills are headshots. I think it makes playing more interesting. Maybe you could use a new stats system if they are better.

I was playing before hlstats for a while and I agree (even with my 9fps) I could tell the server was better performing. I loved the days of playing on levels like Port, Tides, Nuke, etc. with a full iconz server.

I don't disagree with you. I'm just not sure that enough people actually WANT to play other maps. But hey, it's worth a try. Maybe even just for a week. I really think Iconz could ditch a server. I agree with the deathmatch server idea. Maybe have a ranked and unranked rotation server with the current faves list/scrim maps whatever and a deathmatch one. Keep gungame perhaps though no one plays it. Take away dust2 for a week and see if it helps. If not just bring it back.

Reply #21 Posted: March 04, 2009, 12:38:56 pm

Offline Growler

I cant recall the last time i saw a server (NZ decent ping, reliable host) that just had vanilla CS on it.

Persoanlly id love to see Iconz drop all servers for 2 weeks, and just run 1 default rotation 20 slot server (20 min maps) with just mani stats (this caters your kpd, % etc) and see how things go numbers wise over that 2 weeks.

I tell you now, i would play it every night with much joy! I would giggle like a school girl!

Reply #22 Posted: March 04, 2009, 12:48:18 pm
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline Into The Void

• Devoted Member
I love Pirenesi, Port, Tides, Prodigy etc.

What the hell is malitia (edit: is that the one with the house and the hosties in the garage?).

I like Italy too so long as i'm a terrorist on it haha. Gotts love the unbalanced hostage maps.

Reply #23 Posted: March 04, 2009, 01:31:50 pm

Offline Ez! Pez!.exe™

• Just settled in
  • Ez! Pez!.exe™ has no influence.
Would be awsome to see all the old servers come back to life bcuz people rather play on them beacause they are not stuck on the same old maps all the time.....

I play Gamearena popular bcuz of the fact it has a map rotation and is not stuck on dust2 24/7.....

the players will come back if the dust2 server dies......

Before the hlxstats the servers wer always full there was no rank whores.....

and every1 just played the game for fun.....

I say they should go back to the old ways.........

The old ways are always sucessfull.....

:rnr:

Reply #24 Posted: March 04, 2009, 06:25:59 pm
Never argue w/ an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

[SIGPIC]HEHE[/SIGPIC]