Topic: Obama gets the Nobel peace prize

Offline Tandoori

• Addicted
  • Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.
Quote from: Bobyoby;999372
No I think your are the one that is mistaken, st zarkov is infact the reincarnation of jesus. This time instead of being nailed to a cross, mr christ has decided to be nailed to the position of forum mod.

You been suckered into believing that story of his isit?

Reply #25 Posted: October 11, 2009, 03:38:59 pm

Offline Chilli

• Addicted
  • Chilli has no influence.
You should go back to watching Bathurst Hori, it makes more sense ;)

Reply #26 Posted: October 11, 2009, 04:16:03 pm
♣ Free Tampons ♣

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

• Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!
On a more constructive note, here is a list of past winners.

It's obvious that it's value is symbolic as well as practical.

# 2009 - Barack Obama
# 2008 - Martti Ahtisaari
# 2007 - Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, Al Gore
# 2006 - Muhammad Yunus, Grameen Bank
# 2005 - International Atomic Energy Agency, Mohamed ElBaradei
# 2004 - Wangari Maathai
# 2003 - Shirin Ebadi
# 2002 - Jimmy Carter
# 2001 - United Nations, Kofi Annan
# 2000 - Kim Dae-jung
# 1999 - Médecins Sans Frontičres
# 1998 - John Hume, David Trimble
# 1997 - International Campaign to Ban Landmines, Jody Williams
# 1996 - Carlos Filipe Ximenes Belo, José Ramos-Horta
# 1995 - Joseph Rotblat, Pugwash Conferences on Science and World Affairs
# 1994 - Yasser Arafat, Shimon Peres, Yitzhak Rabin
# 1993 - Nelson Mandela, F.W. de Klerk
# 1992 - Rigoberta Menchú Tum
# 1991 - Aung San Suu Kyi
# 1990 - Mikhail Gorbachev
# 1989 - The 14th Dalai Lama
# 1988 - United Nations Peacekeeping Forces
# 1987 - Oscar Arias Sánchez
# 1986 - Elie Wiesel
# 1985 - International Physicians for the Prevention of Nuclear War
# 1984 - Desmond Tutu
# 1983 - Lech Walesa
# 1982 - Alva Myrdal, Alfonso García Robles
# 1981 - Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees
# 1980 - Adolfo Pérez Esquivel
# 1979 - Mother Teresa
# 1978 - Anwar al-Sadat, Menachem Begin
# 1977 - Amnesty International
# 1976 - Betty Williams, Mairead Corrigan
# 1975 - Andrei Sakharov
# 1974 - Seán MacBride, Eisaku Sato
# 1973 - Henry Kissinger, Le Duc Tho
# 1972 - The prize money for 1972 was allocated to the Main Fund
# 1971 - Willy Brandt
# 1970 - Norman Borlaug
# 1969 - International Labour Organization
# 1968 - René Cassin
# 1967 - The prize money was with 1/3 allocated to the Main Fund and with 2/3 to the Special Fund of this prize section
# 1966 - The prize money was allocated to the Special Fund of this prize section
# 1965 - United Nations Children's Fund
# 1964 - Martin Luther King Jr.
# 1963 - International Committee of the Red Cross, League of Red Cross Societies
# 1962 - Linus Pauling
# 1961 - Dag Hammarskjöld
# 1960 - Albert Lutuli

Reply #27 Posted: October 11, 2009, 05:37:55 pm

Offline Mr_St1nky

• Addicted
  • Mr_St1nky has no influence.
They gave Al Gore one? THE FUCK IS DIS SHIIIITTT!?

Fucking wanker drives around in his non-planet friendly 4.2L diesel giving wanky powerpoint presentations about inconclusive scientific evidence for the myth of "global warming", whilst refusing to be present at a PROPER scientific debate...and they give him a "Peace" prize.

Reply #28 Posted: October 11, 2009, 07:57:32 pm

Offline vietnow

• Devoted Member
  • vietnow has no influence.
dont be jealous brah

Reply #29 Posted: October 11, 2009, 08:02:18 pm

Team Bell - SC2B GetSome Champions

Offline Mr_St1nky

• Addicted
Quote from: vietnow;999470
dont be jealous brah

ov heez 4.2l deezil brah? or dat heez a fucking wanka?

Reply #30 Posted: October 11, 2009, 08:03:44 pm

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

• Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Mr_St1nky;999471

Talk properly with less swearing or you'll get a smack.

Reply #31 Posted: October 11, 2009, 08:27:20 pm

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Zarkov's got my vote for the next Nobel peace prize.

He enforces the peace with retractable claws of fury.

Reply #32 Posted: October 11, 2009, 08:46:12 pm

Offline Mr_St1nky

• Addicted
Quote from: Zarkov;999476
Talk properly with less swearing or you'll get a smack.

Bell got there first :(

Less politicking imo. Belittles Mandela, Dalai Llama (sic) and Kofi Annan to give muppets like Gore "peace" prizes. Obama has yet to earn his, giving a pre-emptive one is bad form. He still has a very probable second term for it to all go pear shaped.

Reply #33 Posted: October 11, 2009, 09:43:13 pm

Offline Zarathrustra

• Addicted
  • Zarathrustra has no influence.
Adolf Hitler would have come close to winning one too, in his early days.

In fact, I'm pretty sure he got nominated some time in the late 30's

Reply #34 Posted: October 11, 2009, 09:45:42 pm

Offline Mr_St1nky

• Addicted
Think it was just after the Munich Games. Don't quote me though.

Reply #35 Posted: October 11, 2009, 09:52:28 pm

Offline TuataraDude

• Devoted Member
  • TuataraDude has no influence.
Quote from: Zarathrustra;999509
Adolf Hitler would have come close to winning one too, in his early days.

In fact, I'm pretty sure he got nominated some time in the late 30's

You may be confusing it with when he won "Time Man of the Year". He won that in 1938.

Reply #36 Posted: October 11, 2009, 10:18:56 pm
Just when I thought I was out, they drag me back in.

Offline Slim

• Addicted
  • Slim barely matters.Slim barely matters.
At First I was like "WTF Mate..." But after reading this article on NZ Herald, I've kinda mellowed out on the matter.

Did Obama deserve the Nobel Peace Prize?
11:22AM Saturday Oct 10, 2009

No one seemed to be expecting Barack Obama to win the Nobel Peace Prize, despite the fact that the bookies were giving odds of seven to one, the same as they had on Morgan Tsvangirai, who was widely touted as the favourite.

But perhaps more surprising is the degree of disapproval with which many have greeted the news.

Critics have said that the award is premature and complained that the new US President has so far done nothing more than make a few inspirational speeches. The prize, they say, should not be for effort but for results. Some have even said that he has merely got the award just for not being George W Bush.

The Nobel decision-makers will look pretty foolish, they complain, if before he picks up the prize in December, Obama decides to send another 40,000 US troops to Afghanistan.

Such a response is misguided. His nomination for the prize may have been submitted less than two weeks after he took office in February.

But in the time between then and the announcement yesterday Barack Obama has wrought a sea change in the international political climate.

Not being George Bush was a good start. For Bush represented an arrogant, belligerent, unilateralist style of American foreign policy which served the world ill. Obama arrived with a heart for peace and an openness of mind to other nations which was in itself a huge transformation.

He may see no alternative to fighting the war against al Qaeda in Afghanistan but everywhere else he has reasserted the importance of the United Nations and of multilateral diplomacy. He replaced military threats with dialogue with Iran and North Korea. He has begun talks with Russia over nuclear disarmament.

He has prioritised peace in the Middle East. He has reached out a hand of friendship to the Muslim world. He has thrown Washington's recalcitrant attitude to global warming into reverse. All change begins with a change of mind by one individual and Obama has been that person.

The world now expects an awful lot more from him. The Nobel award is a recognition of that too. It is just not true that in the past the prize was awarded only where work for peace had reaped concrete proofs. Many times it has been given as an encouragement to see the effort through.

In 1976, the award to the Peace Women was intended to send a signal to the two battling communities in Northern Ireland. In 1991, Aung San Suu Kyi was already in jail when she won the prize in a well thought-out gesture of support for democracy in Burma.

In 1994 the Nobel committee hoped to maintain the momentum to peace in the Middle East by handing the prize to Yasser Arafat, Shimon Peres and Yitzhak Rabin. The prize tries to enhance the future as well as celebrate past achievements.

In his will, the founder Alfred Nobel said that the prize should go "to the person who shall have done the most, or the best, work for fraternity between the nations and the abolition or reduction of standing armies and the formation and spreading of peace congresses". It is hard to think of anyone of whom that is truer last year than Barack Obama.

The prize may make life difficult for him domestically, giving his right-wing critics another stick with which to beat him over healthcare.

But to the rest of the world the US President is an inspiration. The Audacity of Hope, he called one of his books. Rarely has a single individual in recent times given so much of the world cause to dare to anticipate that a better world can yet be made.

- THE INDEPENDENT

SOURCE

Reply #37 Posted: October 11, 2009, 10:33:24 pm
If anyone calls me a PC Fanboy - I will punch them in the Jaw.

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: TuataraDude;999532
You may be confusing it with when he won "Time Man of the Year". He won that in 1938.

[video]ZGp0hCxSg98[/video]

Reply #38 Posted: October 11, 2009, 10:34:36 pm
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline Zarathrustra

• Addicted
  • Zarathrustra has no influence.
Quote from: TuataraDude;999532

Yeah, there was that too.

A bit of a google does look like he did get a nomination for the Nobel Peace Prize too, in 1939, but the nomination was later pulled.

Funnily enough, the Peace prize wasn't handed out that year at all, or for another 4 years...

Reply #39 Posted: October 11, 2009, 10:50:51 pm

Offline Mr_St1nky

• Addicted

Reply #40 Posted: October 11, 2009, 11:53:11 pm

Offline Fobinator

• Just settled in
  • Fobinator has no influence.
Quote from: Mr_St1nky;999471

Thats like when Arny gave a speech in California about polution.. After he was done he, lit up a Cuban Cigar, rattled his keys and drove off in his Hummer..

Tbh, Slims article swayed me. Well worth the read + 1

Reply #41 Posted: October 12, 2009, 07:40:15 am

Offline SteddieEddie

• Addicted
  • SteddieEddie barely matters.SteddieEddie barely matters.
Didn't he back down on closing Q bay?
If he had carried out that promise then maybe he would of deserved it

Reply #42 Posted: October 12, 2009, 08:14:23 am

Offline 9unk

• Just settled in
  • 9unk has no influence.
The world now expects an awful lot more from him. The Nobel award is a recognition of that too. It is just not true that in the past the prize was awarded only where work for peace had reaped concrete proofs. Many times it has been given as an encouragement to see the effort through.

Its almost like he's been given it to keep him honest and to push him further towards greatness. +1 Slim have changed my view on it.

Reply #43 Posted: October 12, 2009, 09:47:27 am
=] IRBS [=
=]BF3[=

Offline donotbend

• Just settled in
  • donotbend has no influence.
How can the leader of a country that is currently killing civilians in at least two other countries be given the Nobel Peace Prize?

Reply #44 Posted: October 12, 2009, 09:51:26 am

Offline Slim

• Addicted
  • Slim barely matters.Slim barely matters.
Quote from: runing;999620
Didn't he back down on closing Q bay?
If he had carried out that promise then maybe he would of deserved it

Yeah, but that was a massive can of worms that I don't think he thought through very well.  Its all well and good to shut it down, but where do you send the detainees?  And sure, there may very well be one or two innocents in there, which is pretty unacceptable in itself, but you can bet your ass that the majority of them are genuine insurgents/terrorists.  The issue really there is that the international law/conventions simply aren't in place to deal with them, so they are effectively in a kind of legal limbo.  They aren't combatants of a national army, so the geneva convention doesn't cover them.  I spose, in reality, they could be considered spys and simply executed.

Anyway, my point is, that Guantanamo will have some truly dangerous men in it, and no state on mainland America wants that burden in their back yard.  They can't try them, because frankly, soldiers don't go through the proper procedures of arrest, so there is likely no hard evidence.  Its a tricky one, and I spose the best Obama can do in the short term is sort out what actually goes on there in terms of 'torture' and what not.

Quote from: donotbend;999654
How can the leader of a country that is currently killing civilians in at least two other countries be given the Nobel Peace Prize?

I'm sorry what?  I didn't realise Obama was stalking the hills of Afghanistan, gunning down women and children.  I must have missed that story on NZ Herald.  George Bush started those wars.  Obama can't, for a plethora of military and political reasons, simply pack up and leave - especially in Afghanistan.  Also, the line between combatants and civilians has become so blurred as almost not to exist.  America does not target civilians, it knows better than that.  Dead women and kids do more damage to their war effort than any insurgent ever could.  Hence, they hide in amongst the civilian populations, hoping that the Americans kill some by accident.  This is the kind of war that they have established.  What choice does America have?

Reply #45 Posted: October 12, 2009, 10:54:32 am
If anyone calls me a PC Fanboy - I will punch them in the Jaw.

Offline SteddieEddie

• Addicted
  • SteddieEddie barely matters.SteddieEddie barely matters.
I'm sorry Slim, but America made the can of worms and to turn around and say it is too hard to unravel is their problem, not the detainees.

America has some of the most hi tech jails in the world, put them in there and afford them some basic human rights. Execute the truly dangerous ones and free the innocent ones. I'm sure there are more than a couple of those btw

Reply #46 Posted: October 12, 2009, 04:15:00 pm

Offline ninjaweedman

• Just settled in
  • ninjaweedman has no influence.
Quote from: Spoonguard;999147
Maybe there should be a Nobel prize for... Medicine?

that would also be controversy, there's no money in a "cure". :disappoin

Reply #47 Posted: October 12, 2009, 04:47:55 pm

Offline Speakman

• Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!
people should research. there is a prize for medical sciences.

Here is Alfred Nobels Will:

The whole of my remaining realizable estate shall be dealt with in the following way:

The capital shall be invested by my executors in safe securities and shall constitute a fund, the interest on which shall be annually distributed in the form of prizes to those who, during the preceding year, shall have conferred the greatest benefit on mankind. The said interest shall be divided into five equal parts, which shall be apportioned as follows: one part to the person who shall have made the most important discovery or invention within the field of physics; one part to the person who shall have made the most important chemical discovery or improvement; one part to the person who shall have made the most important discovery within the domain of physiology or medicine; one part to the person who shall have produced in the field of literature the most outstanding work of an idealistic tendency; and one part to the person who shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity among nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses.

The prizes for physics and chemistry shall be awarded by the Swedish Academy of Sciences; that for physiological or medical works by Karolinska Institutet in Stockholm; that for literature by the Academy in Stockholm; and that for champions of peace by a committee of five persons to be elected by the Norwegian Storting. It is my expressed wish that in awarding the prizes no consideration whatever shall be given to the nationality of the candidates, so that the most worthy shall receive the prize, whether he be Scandinavian or not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nobel_prize

Reply #48 Posted: October 12, 2009, 04:50:34 pm
Quote from: Mellcor
i had kinda hope speakman had died, what a pity

Offline frog.

• Devoted Member
  • frog. has no influence.
Quote from: donotbend;999654

These wars are an act of crime. The only way this military industial complex and it's little lillypad lickers can stay the course is with more troops and support. A peace prize to the leader of a country, a country that is nothing more then a war machine should sway enough votes. Remembering that war, no matter how inhumane it is, it is peace.

Reply #49 Posted: October 12, 2009, 05:33:04 pm
pancakesrreal | Everyone of us is high but you