Topic: What grinds your gears?

Offline Craigor

• Administrator
  • Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!
Pretty sure a landlord has to give 90 days notice.. or at least 42 in certain circumstances..
what an asshole.

Reply #1050 Posted: January 11, 2016, 01:02:21 pm
<a href="steam://friends/add/76561197966242864/">Add me to Steam</a> <- Fixed! lol

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
"I'm the landlord, I have rights"
Oh how wrong and stupid he is.

That guy is going to have a rude awakening.

Reply #1051 Posted: January 11, 2016, 01:14:34 pm
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline Lias

• Administrator
  • Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!
Pretty sure a landlord has to give 90 days notice.. or at least 42 in certain circumstances..
what an asshole.

Yep. But given he hasn't lodged the bond with tenancy (which is blatantly illegal and he can be done for it) I doubt he cares much.

Retardo, talk to Tenancy, what he's done is called a "Retaliatory Notice" and Tenancy can quash it if you apply within 14 days of receiving it. I realize you don't want to stay in the shithole, but it would give you room to breathe and find something not in a hurry.

Reply #1052 Posted: January 11, 2016, 01:16:42 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
Yeah, we've spoken to Tenancy Services and understand that he has to allow us a certain amount of time. Have made multiple attempts to get in contact with him since he told us to get out despite us throwing the law at him. He's not responding to anything so we have to plan for a contingency. If he refuses to respond to us then he'll receive notice of a tribunal hearing where he stands to be out of pocket $1700 (up to $1000 for not lodging bond and $700 of our bond + any compensation we might go for due to having to throw out clothing infested with black mould).

We have everything in writing, so when we're in court, I can cite everything.

Reply #1053 Posted: January 11, 2016, 01:45:44 pm

Offline Craigor

• Administrator
  • Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!
Seems he taking that "I'll just tell them to get out and ignore them, and they will go away because hopefully they are too stupid to understand the law" approach

Reply #1054 Posted: January 11, 2016, 01:48:10 pm
<a href="steam://friends/add/76561197966242864/">Add me to Steam</a> <- Fixed! lol

Offline Xenolightning

• GS Developer
  • Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!

Reply #1055 Posted: January 11, 2016, 01:53:50 pm
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
Seems he taking that "I'll just tell them to get out and ignore them, and they will go away because hopefully they are too stupid to understand the law" approach

This is exactly what I think he is hoping for.

I'm assuming he has always dealt with tenants that don't bother holding him accountable and just hope we'll move out and that will be that.

Nope.

Reply #1056 Posted: January 11, 2016, 01:55:15 pm

Offline Lias

• Administrator
  • Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!
I fucking hate some landlords. Had one not all that long ago who we thought wasn't too bad, despite being a bit tight about maintenance.

Turns out she was giving us shit references and calling us "difficult tenants" simply for asking for maintenance being done, and threatening her with Tenancy when the oven blew up and she wasn't going to replace it for a month.

Another time I  had to take an actual legit property management company (as in a nationwide brand chain, not a small local one) all the way to Tenancy to get them to do maintenance. Turns out the owner was being recalcitrant because they intended to subdivide once we moved out, and much of the work we were making them do would be wasted. Turned out the owner was a bit of a nutter, not long before we gave notice, she sent a couple of surveyors around without warning us or the property management company. We refused to let them on the property because we had no idea who they were, and the no notice had been given. She went postal at the property managers over it and tried to demand they evict us. She turned up in person after we had given notice (luckily I wasn't home) and tried to bully my partner and my mother into letting her and some other consultants onto the propery. Ended up with my mum calling the cops on her, and my mum is pretty much a peacemaking hippy (my polar opposite lol). Was rather glad I made her spend about $20k on stuff that got bulldozed :-)

Reply #1057 Posted: January 11, 2016, 02:09:32 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

I've been told that the Tenancy Tribunal favours tenants because of how scum-laden landlords usually are (as well as property managers. In most cases, the managers will never pass on information to the landlord and just ignore tenant requests, and more so, in Palmy, it seems to be common place to pass on the letting fee to the tenants).

The property we're in; before moving in we were told that the property had been lived in by him (the landlord) so he always took every precaution to make sure it was a great home.

First week in, 5 leaks opened up. Roofer was called in. Membrane in the roof was shot and the corrugated iron had come away from the frame work so whenever the wind kicked up, it blew water in. Roofer said it wasn't up to code so the landlord just got a band-aid fix and had the flashing replaced. 2 weeks later, leaks still coming in through on the front of the house. Roof doesn't have anything to drive away the water from the walls so water just runs down the front, and had been coming in through the window frames so Landlord asks roofer to come back and fill in the gaps where the water was getting in....with silicone... trapping the moisture in the framework /facepalm.

We have a feeling he has been well aware of the mould for a long time and just gets in new tenants whenever someone complains about it. He subdivided the property not long before we moved in and had a new house built on the subdivision behind us, this makes me believe he wanted to capitalize on the land he owned before eventually having to bulldoze this house.

We're certain the framework has rotted out. There is plant matter growing out of the cracks in the stucko on the outside of the house. We've had to scrub moss from the master bedroom window frames and all the curtains have a healthy dose of black mould all over them.

Reply #1058 Posted: January 11, 2016, 02:30:58 pm

Offline Baldesto

• Addicted
  • Baldesto barely matters.Baldesto barely matters.
nope read the housing corp tenants rights and tell the landlord to go fuck himself , 60 days you have i think.. also he is in shit st for pocketing the bond.
http://www.cab.org.nz/vat/hle/rt/pages/rightsobligationsoftenantslandlords.aspx#7
https://www.tenancy.govt.nz/ending-a-tenancy/
Notice periods

A tenant must give at least 21 days’ written notice to end the tenancy, unless the landlord agrees to a shorter time (it’s best for this agreement to be in writing).

A landlord must give at least 90 days' written notice to end the tenancy, but can give less time (at least 42 days’ notice) in certain circumstances.

Reply #1059 Posted: January 11, 2016, 08:39:31 pm

Offline Baldesto

• Addicted
  • Baldesto barely matters.Baldesto barely matters.
then tell him to stick his his dick up his ass, use it as a handle and fuck off . i fucking hate shithouse landlords , i had to be held back by my flatmates over one wanker .he fucked off pretty quick i can tell you ...

Reply #1060 Posted: January 11, 2016, 08:42:59 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

We know what we're privy too when it comes to the law. We've told him that what he is asking for is bullocks.

Despite him trying to force us out really quickly, we have managed to find a temp. place. Once out (Sunday) it means he gets no more rent from us and we then issue him with a tribunal hearing to refund our bond.

Reply #1061 Posted: January 11, 2016, 09:37:50 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

Tenancy Tribunal application submitted.

Emailed him on Sunday asking how he wants us to return the keys, got 0 reply. At this stage I thought "is this guy even reading our messages?" So we decided to drop the keys in at the police station as we did not want to leave the keys on the property or hold on to them (too much liability). Emailed him saying your keys are at the cop station.

Police updated me yesterday he came in to collect them so he IS reading my emails, just choosing to brick-wall us. We went for a drive yesterday and saw that he was at the property after we had finished moving out. Wake up this morning to no bond so have thought "fuck it, lodging a tribunal application, sick of waiting for this guy".

Just lodged it asking for our bond back on the grounds he did not submit it to Tenancy Services, as well as including information about the early termination due to hazardous living conditions. Not going for compensation despite being legally entitled.

Apparently he gets an email alert as I included his email in the application saying I've lodged an application. Hopefully this is enough to scare him into returning our money, at which stage I'll withdraw the app (not telling him this though).

Reply #1062 Posted: January 20, 2016, 09:54:54 am

Offline Pigdog

• Just settled in
  • Pigdog has great potential!Pigdog has great potential!Pigdog has great potential!Pigdog has great potential!Pigdog has great potential!Pigdog has great potential!Pigdog has great potential!Pigdog has great potential!Pigdog has great potential!
Fuck that guy, you should sue him for all you can get.

Reply #1063 Posted: January 20, 2016, 11:47:28 am

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

Didn't take long but he's coughed up the cash.

All it took was a bit of legal action. Sigh..

Reply #1064 Posted: January 21, 2016, 08:59:58 am

Offline Xenolightning

• GS Developer
  • Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!
Keep the Tribunal going, for poor management of property. Get that cunt on a list or something.

Reply #1065 Posted: January 21, 2016, 09:48:48 am
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline Craigor

• Administrator
Keep the Tribunal going, for poor management of property. Get that cunt on a list or something.

^ This
So over people not being held accountable for their uselessness.

Reply #1066 Posted: January 21, 2016, 11:18:37 am

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
I'd like to hear the landlord's side of the story.

Let's invite him to the forums.

Reply #1067 Posted: January 21, 2016, 11:34:46 am

Offline Xenolightning

• GS Developer
Plot Twist: It's The Cat.

Reply #1068 Posted: January 21, 2016, 11:45:31 am
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline Pigdog

• Just settled in
  • Pigdog has great potential!Pigdog has great potential!Pigdog has great potential!Pigdog has great potential!Pigdog has great potential!Pigdog has great potential!Pigdog has great potential!Pigdog has great potential!Pigdog has great potential!
Cats don't have souls

Reply #1069 Posted: January 21, 2016, 03:45:40 pm

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
scum-laden [...] property managers. In most cases, the managers [are lazy as fuck and get paid exorbident sums to do shit all], in Palmy, it seems to be common place to pass on the letting fee to the tenants).

Paraphrased a bit there, but that letting fee bullshit is fucking rampant all over the country. Why just charge the landlord when you can double your income and charge the tennant too?

Literally fuck all. Missus had one once that didn't show up to the viewing, then tried to offer it to someone else before us. After complaints they squeezed in a viewing before the other people (first in first served apparently), to which they FORGOT THE FUCKING KEYS (and then tried to reschedule instead of driving FIVE FUCKING MINUTES to get them).

Fucking scum cunts. I ensure to do everything in my power to deal with a landlord that manages their own houses. That way there's no buffer of bullshit between me and the truth, and we can get an impression of the personality/competency in person.

Luckily for us in the situation above the landlord actually lived on the property and was good people. We dealt with them direct for about everything, meaning the agency was actually pretty unnecssary at all. But they don't live there all year around, so I guess there was a bit of security for them if we were shit tennants or something.

Deal direct. Saves great on not getting dicked around. Or paying for stupid shit unnecessarily.

Reply #1070 Posted: January 22, 2016, 10:32:52 pm
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline Virus.

• Devoted Member
  • Virus. has no influence.
Didn't take long but he's coughed up the cash.

All it took was a bit of legal action. Sigh..

That episode sounds like a nightmare. How did the mould situation come about? Was it not visible when you first moved in?

Reply #1071 Posted: January 22, 2016, 11:41:39 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

Nah, it wasn't.

Anyway, the scum lord has now just put the house on the market.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/property/residential-property-for-sale/auction-1020811478.htm

Those photos are at LEAST a year old. Nowhere near indicative of what state the property is actually in.

Newly renovated, sunny and modernised two bedroom and study home. Open plan living with french doors opening onto a sunny and private courtyard. Designer kitchen with granite bench tops, and lovely features. Gas heating in the living areas, complemented by a pot belly stove in the study (this has a wetback). Landscaped and fully fenced section, with ample off-street parking.
Building inspection and report has been done on this property.

I'm gonna take a guess and assume the building report and inspection was done well before we moved in, as one was never done when we lived there and we've only been out of the place for 5 days.

It has not been modernized. The wetback stove doesn't work as it is not attached to the flu and never has been. It hasn't been landscaped, we simply kept the gardens in good condition. No off street parking as the hospital workers take these along with being right next to the netball court so they're taken up during the weekend and there are yellow no parking signs directly outside of the property.

He's obviously realised that the money required to bring it up to code so it can be livable is too much and is wanting to flick it off by bullshitting any would-be buyers (due to the private sale).

Would appreciate anyone going to the auction and reporting the listing as "listing contains false or misleading information" _b

Reply #1072 Posted: January 23, 2016, 12:00:24 am

Offline Virus.

• Devoted Member
Jesus christ. Not much nice can be said about the exterior, but the interior looks nice from those pictures. Kind of goes to show how careful you have to be when looking at property.

Reply #1073 Posted: January 23, 2016, 12:04:10 am

Offline Virus.

• Devoted Member
It's open home on Sunday. If you really wanted your petty revenge you could go over there and hang outside to warn people about the mould.

Reply #1074 Posted: January 23, 2016, 12:07:13 am