Topic: Xbox Kinect

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Kinect is now advertising on YouTube videos. Nothing makes me more angry than adverts on my YouTube videos.

Reply #50 Posted: March 10, 2011, 04:44:44 pm
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline Bell

• Addicted
  • Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.
Good news for ya's
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/34102/Kinect_PC_SDK_To_Include_Full_Skeleton_Tracking_Directional_Microphone_Support.php

Looks like you will be getting access to a SDK with pretty much the same features as the one I work with.

Reply #51 Posted: April 14, 2011, 12:57:27 pm

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Bell;1376318
Good news for ya's
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/34102/Kinect_PC_SDK_To_Include_Full_Skeleton_Tracking_Di  rectional_Microphone_Support.php

Looks like you will be getting access to a SDK with pretty much the same features as the one I work with.

Yeah, looking forward to it.

This as well. Using WorldWide Telescope with Kinect

Reply #52 Posted: April 14, 2011, 01:02:53 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
  • Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.
Meh, a mouse would navigate that so much easier.

Reply #53 Posted: April 14, 2011, 01:08:01 pm

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Bell;1376327
Meh, a mouse would navigate that so much easier.

Yeah it would, I downloaded it, it's pretty good.
http://www.worldwidetelescope.org/Home.aspx

Reply #54 Posted: April 14, 2011, 01:12:33 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted

Reply #55 Posted: June 17, 2011, 12:28:24 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Bell;1391974
SDK is out.

http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/redmond/projects/kinectsdk/
Woot! I will forward this to Ken Sutton.

Reply #56 Posted: June 17, 2011, 02:44:50 pm

Quote from: Bell;1391974
SDK is out.

http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/redmond/projects/kinectsdk/

Yes!, been waiting for this.

I'll know what I'll be doing this weekend.

Reply #57 Posted: June 17, 2011, 06:27:10 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
Pro Tips
#1 what works for you as a gesture may not work for others.
#2 simple detection algorithms are best the more complex you try and be the more likely it is to fuck up.
#3 smooth/average your joint data (but not too much) this reduces alot of the noise you can get when using joints as pointers (menu navigation etc)
#4 in many cases translating your joint data coordinates to be based on the players forward facing vector improves gestures. (eg If I am standing slightly rotated to the left when I move my hand forward infront of my body it won't exactly be going towards the sensor/Z axis.

I'll download this tonight at home but not sure I'll do much with it over the weekend, I had enough troubles with kinect this week :p
Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 06:49:39 pm by Bell

Reply #58 Posted: June 17, 2011, 06:43:26 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

Quote from: Bell;1392128
Pro Tips
#1 what works for you as a gesture may not work for others.
I am pretty sure that taking off your pants and sharing the Kinect pictures with the world is an international gesture of contempt.

Reply #59 Posted: June 17, 2011, 11:00:40 pm

Look at me, i'm a stick man!

Reply #60 Posted: June 18, 2011, 02:03:32 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
Haha that was disturbing knowing you actually did that.

Reply #61 Posted: June 18, 2011, 03:47:02 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

Quote from: Spacemonkey;1392363
*SUBSCRIBES!*

Reply #62 Posted: June 18, 2011, 05:11:39 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
How you guys finding it?

Reply #63 Posted: July 18, 2011, 12:43:37 pm

Offline Spork

• Game Server Admin
  • Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.
Quote from: Tiwaking!;1392395
*SUBSCRIBES!*

Nice vid, groovy mooves dood.

Reply #64 Posted: July 20, 2011, 12:33:44 am

It's all that Dance Central practice.

Reply #65 Posted: July 20, 2011, 07:31:15 am

Quote from: Bell;1401355
How you guys finding it?

Haven't done much yet, been too busy.

I have some ideas I want to try out, just need to find the time to do them.

Reply #66 Posted: July 20, 2011, 07:32:28 am

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaKZGlC4Zgo

Little do we know is that he's actually having sex.

Reply #67 Posted: July 20, 2011, 08:08:39 am

Quote from: RetardoBot;1401842
Little do we know is that he's actually having sex.

If I was, you'd see another stick figure in there.

However, I now have an idea for a Kinect game.
Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 08:19:36 am by Spacemonkey

Reply #68 Posted: July 20, 2011, 08:17:03 am

Offline nick247

• Addicted
  • nick247 has no influence.
Quote from: Spacemonkey;1401845
If I was, you'd see another stick figure in there.

And spacemonkey wouldnt be the one standing upright

Reply #69 Posted: August 22, 2011, 09:15:10 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

Reply #70 Posted: October 27, 2011, 12:46:13 pm

Offline Gamgeenz

• Just settled in
  • Gamgeenz has no influence.

White people dancing

Reply #71 Posted: November 06, 2011, 11:59:48 am

Offline Tiwaking!

Quote from: Bell;1336413
Move is better for traditional gaming.
Kinect is better for casual gaming.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/games/6740107/Kinect-voice-commands-coming-to-Skyrim
Kinect voice commands coming to Skyrim
Anyone who's played The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim has dreamed of actually shouting someone off of a cliff, right? Well, the Xbox version of the game will support more than 200 voice commands by the end of this month.

Bethesda plans to release a free title update that will allow gamers to enable Kinect support for Skyrim, thus enabling them to 'FUS RO DAH!' their in-game enemies by yelling at their TVs like a crazy person.

Reply #72 Posted: April 15, 2012, 11:19:21 am

Offline Tiwaking!

Star Wars Kinect - 3/10

Have you ever wanted be the one to wield a lightsaber, use the power of the force to crush your enemies, hurl missiles and thermal detonators back at your assailants, and pick up Star Ships like Yoda?

Well: With Star Wars Kinect you can now do that in a clunky, spastic, motion controlled collection of mini-games!

In fact: You can do it two players with a friend so it is two of you looking like arm waving retards.

How the controls work
Basically you control the lightsaber with your 'main' hand (you can switch your lightsaber to left or right handed) and your force powers with your off-hand. Drawing back your off-hand activates force push (needs to be charged) and stretching out your off-hand activates 'move object' (lift and throw enemies).

The lightsaber can be used to strike left, right, up, down OR you can perform a 'figure eight' to block incoming shots.

Unfortunately a 'figure eight' also equates to something resembling the Macarena. Sorry game: You lose points for this.

Other actions including: Jumping. Ducking. Leaning forward (to move forward) and dodging/moving left and right.

Why this game is turdtacular

The problem with this game is that it is not a very good game. Even without the motion controls: In absolutely no way, shape, or form could this game be considered 'good'. 'Mediocre' would be high praise.

Mass combats are performed with the barely functional jumpy, lightsabery, hack n slashy controls. But one-on-one combats consist of you blocking an enemy (you cannot attack, there is an 'attack timer' that you have to wait to fill up so you can attack) followed by a clash (which you must win with a motion control of some type) and then you attack an enemy within a time limit.

If the enemy does not die: Repeat the blocking > clashing > slashing. Yawnerrific.

It gets worse.

There are also jet-speeder sections which reminded me of the old 1983 Arcade Star Wars except the controls for this were ten times worse and instead of a comfy chair to sit in, you stretch out your hands and squat like a jet packer powered by flatulence.

There are also Space Combat sequences, very similar to Rebel Assault except Rebel Assault was occasionally a fun experience whereas this is not only NOT fun, but you can die within 10 seconds of starting a mission. Faster than the 'helpful' protocol droid can say 'look out behind us!'. These sections also boast the worst possible controls for a game with the possible exception of Marble Madness.

Is there anything good about this game?

Funnily enough: YES! From a game developer point of view, this is the worst possible use of the XBOX Kinect I can think of. It is underutilized, horribly paced, terribly written, and something which probably shouldnt exist. If you were to ever develop a game for XBOX Kinect and you are looking for something good to say about it on the box, you can put: "Beats Star Wars Kinect hands down!"

Reply #73 Posted: May 05, 2012, 01:15:57 pm

Rancor Rampage in Star Wars kinect is awesome. You stomp around as a rancor eating people.

The game is actually better then I thought it would be.

Reply #74 Posted: May 05, 2012, 10:58:02 pm