Topic: ADSL stats - Most likely bad wiring?

Offline .osiRiS

• Administrator
  • .osiRiS is a rising star!.osiRiS is a rising star!.osiRiS is a rising star!.osiRiS is a rising star!.osiRiS is a rising star!.osiRiS is a rising star!

Posted: June 10, 2013, 08:15:24 pm

Offline BeNZene

• Forum Admin
  • BeNZene might someday be someone...BeNZene might someday be someone...BeNZene might someday be someone...BeNZene might someday be someone...
Are you on a cabinet?  You can get terribad internet if your internet provider is trying to provide you UCLL from the exchange when you are on a cabinet. I've seen that happen if you shift (ie you were a UCLL customer before you moved, and on a cabinet after).

Reply #1 Posted: June 10, 2013, 08:25:44 pm

Offline .osiRiS

• Administrator
  • .osiRiS is a rising star!.osiRiS is a rising star!.osiRiS is a rising star!.osiRiS is a rising star!.osiRiS is a rising star!.osiRiS is a rising star!
Direct from the Exchange i think. Chorus map tells me from the AK Exchange but i can't work out its actual location.

The phone line is an overhead line that comes in from the power pole outside would that make any difference?
Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 08:33:04 pm by .osiRiS

Reply #2 Posted: June 10, 2013, 08:30:37 pm

Offline Speakman

• Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!
PM me your Snap customer number Osiris, I'll chuck some line tests on your connection (if you haven't already been in touch with us)

Reply #3 Posted: June 10, 2013, 08:31:51 pm
Quote from: Mellcor
i had kinda hope speakman had died, what a pity

Offline BeNZene

• Forum Admin
  • BeNZene might someday be someone...BeNZene might someday be someone...BeNZene might someday be someone...BeNZene might someday be someone...
Also, rereading your post you are looking for an installer. Try  CoffeeBaron at geekzone.co.nz - he did a good job at my place.

Reply #4 Posted: June 10, 2013, 09:03:48 pm

Offline DarkVirus

• Administrator
  • DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!
You were on UCLL with telstra before i think.

Reply #5 Posted: June 11, 2013, 08:42:16 am
Praise be to RNGesus
Add me to Steam

Offline .osiRiS

• Administrator
This a new connection at a new property. I was also on a exchange but most likely ucll gear. Is there that much difference between the two offerings?

Reply #6 Posted: June 11, 2013, 10:59:45 am

Offline Xenolightning

• Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!
Have you tried uninstalling Steam?

Reply #7 Posted: June 11, 2013, 08:34:32 pm
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline .osiRiS

• Administrator
Quote from: Xenolightning;1526830
Have you tried uninstalling Steam?

Nah only punkbuster.

Reply #8 Posted: June 11, 2013, 09:02:20 pm

Offline BeNZene

• Forum Admin
Quote from: .osiRiS;1526771
This a new connection at a new property. I was also on a exchange but most likely ucll gear. Is there that much difference between the two offerings?

If you are in a cabinetised area, you can still get UCLL (in theory), as there is generally a copper line back to the exchange for voice. But the cabinet causes interference on the line which usually limits you to under 2mbs (assuming you could get 10-15mbs off the cabinet). So in practice, if you are in a cabinetised area you will be a UBA customer (Chorus wholesale) not a UCLL customer.  You are most likely to get issues if you shift within the same exchange, and go from a non-cabinetised house to a cabinetised house.

Reply #9 Posted: June 12, 2013, 07:16:37 am

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
  • The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!
45 DB is sub par - gives you a line length of approx 3.5 Km - however your upstream attenuation tells me something isn't happy on your line.

Any old alarms/Sky installs etc on the premises? not running your modem through an extension cord because of the 1 jack puts it in a silly place? failing that - try running the DSL through a filter (if there is noise on the line, sometimes a filter will help)

And if all else fails - get Chorus to look at the line/invest in a dedicated JP

Reply #10 Posted: June 12, 2013, 09:46:03 am

Offline Speakman

• Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!
Line doesn't look too good, there is definitely something causing the slow speeds. I'd start by getting the wiring checked out, any unneeded jackpoints disconnected and the line to the demark fully checked

If you still don't have any luck, sing out and we can look at getting a tech out to check the line

Reply #11 Posted: June 12, 2013, 07:42:45 pm
Quote from: Mellcor
i had kinda hope speakman had died, what a pity

Offline .osiRiS

• Administrator
Quote from: The Demon Lord;1526868
45 DB is sub par - gives you a line length of approx 3.5 Km - however your upstream attenuation tells me something isn't happy on your line.

Any old alarms/Sky installs etc on the premises? not running your modem through an extension cord because of the 1 jack puts it in a silly place? failing that - try running the DSL through a filter (if there is noise on the line, sometimes a filter will help)

And if all else fails - get Chorus to look at the line/invest in a dedicated JP

No alarms/sky place is very old however I thought an electrician might have looked at the phone lines when adding a new face plate to it. Modem is right next to the jack so no extensions used at all. I'm not sure if we want to spend $150 odd for a master filter when it might only be in use for a couple of months before the UFB in the street is activated.

Quote from: Speakman;1526963
Line doesn't look too good, there is definitely something causing the slow speeds. I'd start by getting the wiring checked out, any unneeded jackpoints disconnected and the line to the demark fully checked

If you still don't have any luck, sing out and we can look at getting a tech out to check the line

Pretty much reckon the cause of the issue will be internal? Is it worth getting a master filter installed regardless. I'm flatting with my partner and her friend so internet speed isn't really high on their priorities :S, hopefully the 5 min wait for youtube will get there attention.
Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 12:14:53 am by .osiRiS

Reply #12 Posted: June 13, 2013, 12:10:10 am

Offline .osiRiS

• Administrator
Ok so here is an update. Sent a query through to snap support who were helpful enough but put it down to 3 possible things.

Thank you for your email.

Could be a few things going on here, is great to see you have already tried both the jack points in the house:

1. The internal wiring could be terrible
2. You are connected to the main Auckland exchange, and results can be pretty varying when connecting to the main exchange.
3. could be corrosion outside the property

Can I get you to check and try the following:

1. Try another modem (borrow one from a friend for an hour)
2. another cable
3. check for any corrosion around the jack points or outside.

At this point we can see cap coupling which normally points to wiring, whether this is on the property or not we cannot be too sure.

After this we can look at getting a technician out, without wiring and maintenance for Broadband @ 4.50 per month. We would be looking @ up to $270.25 if no fault is found (unlikely), the fault is on the property ie modem, wiring and cables. If you were to accept wiring and maintenance for at least 12 months, and the issue was internal wiring degradation this will be covered by the $4.50 a month.

What I am happy to do at this point in time is log an inquiry fault with chorus at no extra charge to you. I will ask them to compare you to your neighbors if they are connected to the same exchange and CT. Also to see if they can see that would help us out.

I'll need to pop home to get another modem and cable but I have had a look at the wiring done be the electrician today which I'm not sure is good or bad. Here are a few photos of what I found. I was unable to have a look at the the box outside the house as I have an aerial hung wire from the power pole which connects to the ETP on the outside of the roof.

Snap followed up with another email with a reply from chorus that the area is connected to the exchange direct and should be seeing on average 7MB for the area.

I decided to have a look at the jackpoints in the house and found that they were all new installs with a blue cable which looked like Cat5. No text that I could see to indicate this though.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7911[/ATTACH]     [ATTACH=CONFIG]7912[/ATTACH]     [ATTACH=CONFIG]7913[/ATTACH]    [ATTACH=CONFIG]7914[/ATTACH]    [ATTACH=CONFIG]7915[/ATTACH]

Next I headed up into the roof space and found that the electrician had in fact run cat5e cable to the jacks and had made a couple of connections just free hanging to a black twisted cable which comes from the outside wall connection (ETP?)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7916[/ATTACH]   [ATTACH=CONFIG]7917[/ATTACH]   [ATTACH=CONFIG]7918[/ATTACH]   [ATTACH=CONFIG]7919[/ATTACH]   [ATTACH=CONFIG]7920[/ATTACH]   [ATTACH=CONFIG]7921[/ATTACH]   [ATTACH=CONFIG]7922[/ATTACH]

Is this connection ok? Should this rule out that the internal (cat5 cabling) is ok? Does this mean it is either the old black existing cable that could be the problem or that the ETP and roadside cable could be at fault?

Excuse the photo quality - iphone + torch + narrow standing area.
Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 04:15:23 pm by .osiRiS

Reply #13 Posted: June 16, 2013, 04:10:39 pm

Offline ArtanisNZ

• Addicted
  • ArtanisNZ has no influence.
Not as tidy as I would like to see, just had this same fight with a sparky doing my sisters house.. made him redo all connections and plates as they looked like shit. Would be nice to see your street to in house connections housed in a nice connection box.

Like this:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]7923[/ATTACH]

Reply #14 Posted: June 16, 2013, 04:27:31 pm

Offline Lias

• Administrator
  • Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!
If _all_ the internal wiring has been replaced with that Cat5 it's likely to be external.

Reply #15 Posted: June 21, 2013, 07:24:17 pm