Topic: America's Cup

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Retardobot;1532047
No, you're right. Money had nothing to do with spending 50mil in 7 days when it came to testing the boat with Navy equipment.

On the plus side, a lot of the money ends up coming back to NZ.

Reply #125 Posted: September 27, 2013, 07:53:50 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Spacemonkey;1532056

This is true. I was really anti about this whole thing before it started, but after seeing the giant effort ETNZ put in I fully support another go and back the government 100% for putting up the money they did _b

And those boats, holy crap. They are just so incredibly sexy.

Reply #126 Posted: September 27, 2013, 10:08:12 pm

Offline BerG

• Terminator

• BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.
Quote from: Spacemonkey;1532056

Did you read the article today about the carbon fiber?

Turns out, ETNZ asked Air NZ to use their carbon fibre molding machine to build their boat but were denied.

So Oracle payed full commercial rates to use Air NZ's carbon fibre molding machine for a full year to mold bits for their boat.

Air NZ is owned by NZ Government.
Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 09:04:09 am by BerG

Reply #127 Posted: September 28, 2013, 09:01:20 am

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
Rumors circulating ETNZ taking the Oracle/SAS thingy to court.

Reply #128 Posted: September 28, 2013, 09:52:10 am
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
  • The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Growler;1532074

wouldn't be an americas cup without a court case

Reply #129 Posted: September 28, 2013, 11:36:48 am

Offline mattnz

• mattnz is working their way up.mattnz is working their way up.mattnz is working their way up.
Quote from: BerG;1532072
Did you read the article today about the carbon fiber?

Turns out, ETNZ asked Air NZ to use their carbon fibre molding machine to build their boat but were denied.

So Oracle payed full commercial rates to use Air NZ's carbon fibre molding machine for a full year to mold bits for their boat.

Air NZ is owned by NZ Government.

Well it's a little bit complex seeing as Team NZ's main sponsor is a competitor to Air NZ.

Reply #130 Posted: September 28, 2013, 12:22:58 pm
Now that you have read this, plz give me neg rep :>

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
  • The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: mattnz;1532081
Well it's a little bit complex seeing as Team NZ's main sponsor is a competitor to Air NZ.

Snide comment about Air NZ aren't competition for Emirates....

Reply #131 Posted: September 28, 2013, 12:34:43 pm

Offline kilabee

• Addicted
  • kilabee might someday be someone...kilabee might someday be someone...kilabee might someday be someone...kilabee might someday be someone...
Quote from: Growler;1532074

Daulton on Radio sport now.Has said no grounds,no chance.
Edit also no money
Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 12:46:34 pm by kilabee

Reply #132 Posted: September 28, 2013, 12:41:18 pm

Offline BerG

• Terminator

• BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.
Quote from: mattnz;1532081

Where did I say I did not agree with Air NZ not allowing Emirates to use it.

The point is, NZ getting heaps of money from Oracle.

Reply #133 Posted: September 28, 2013, 01:30:54 pm

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
We build the best boats.

Kiwis also world leaders in sore losing.

Reply #134 Posted: September 28, 2013, 06:14:59 pm
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline kilabee

• Addicted
  • kilabee might someday be someone...kilabee might someday be someone...kilabee might someday be someone...kilabee might someday be someone...
Quote from: Pyromanik;1532102
We build the best boats.

Kiwis also world leaders in sore losing.

I thought we handled this one quite well actually.

Reply #135 Posted: September 28, 2013, 10:20:12 pm

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

• Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!
Not me.

Want to stone them when they get back.

Reply #136 Posted: September 28, 2013, 10:22:35 pm

Offline mycoolcar

• Addicted
  • mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...
Cats can't throw rocks.

Reply #137 Posted: September 28, 2013, 10:59:12 pm

Offline Spigalau

• Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.
So if zee fat german sponsors TNZ for the next challenge, will he expect a space upon the boat ? If so, what role ? ballast ?

I can see the cat with one hull in the air the moment he steps on (the other side).

Reply #138 Posted: September 29, 2013, 09:11:00 am
49 20 63 61 6e 20 72 65 6d 65 6d 62 65 72 20 77 68 65 6e 20 74 68 65 20 61 69 72 20 77 61 73 20 63 6c 65 61 6e 20 61 6e 64 20 73 65 78 20 77 61 73 20 64 69 72 74 79 2e

Offline mycoolcar

• Addicted
  • mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...
Kdot doesn't have enough cash to fully fund it. If anything it would just be a small (less than 10mil) contribution in order to win some public favor (which he has been pretty good at recently).

Reply #139 Posted: September 29, 2013, 09:30:50 am

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

• Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: mycoolcar;1532113
Cats can't throw rocks.

They can, but if they live in glasshouses, they shouldn't.

Reply #140 Posted: September 29, 2013, 09:34:22 am

Offline Bane

• Addicted
  • Bane has no influence.
When i was working on the Americas cup 2010 challenge you could really see the difference in funding.. even back then.

A design stuffup led to Oracle just biffing four booms into the trash at an estimated value of $500k each, TNZ had a minor malfunction in the autoclave causing air-gaps in the carbon, and they were desperately trying to fix it as they didnt have the $$$ to stump up for entire new booms by the time the fault was detected... it was only after Emirates funded more cash that they scrapped the two faulty booms and one mast..

Even now.. the amount of cash being poured in by Oracle vs ETNZ is astounding.. the fact that Oracle were able to just slap another $50M American onto their boat in seven days is not just impressive by an expenditure standpoint.. but a labour standpoint. Seriously, an extra $50 MILLION of Equipment fitted to a BOAT in SEVEN DAYS, they would have had people dedicated to working on this shit 24-hours during that 7-day period.. ETNZ wouldnt have had the money for the facilities in San Fran, let alone the workforce..

Reply #141 Posted: September 29, 2013, 10:17:33 am

Offline varkk

• Just settled in
  • varkk has no influence.
Quote from: Bane;1532119
When i was working on the Americas cup 2010 challenge you could really see the difference in funding.. even back then.

Team NZ wasn't involved in the 2010 AC. Also I haven't seen a source on the $50million spent in one week that doesn't refer back to the 'some Indian guy on talkback' post on whaleoil.
TVNZ commentators were saying before that the rumours were it was about $10million in one week. Now everyone is taking the $50million figure as gospel.

Reply #142 Posted: September 30, 2013, 10:58:21 am

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: varkk;1532154
Team NZ wasn't involved in the 2010 AC. Also I haven't seen a source on the $50million spent in one week that doesn't refer back to the 'some Indian guy on talkback' post on whaleoil.
TVNZ commentators were saying before that the rumours were it was about $10million in one week. Now everyone is taking the $50million figure as gospel.

Yeah I was gonna begin calling people out on their $50 million source.

Especially seeing as it started at 10 million, then went to 20 million, then 50 million, and now people are claiming like 3 billion.

Soon it'll be all of the money in the world.

Reply #143 Posted: September 30, 2013, 04:31:24 pm
"We are the majority we arent the tards, the people we pick on are." -Luse_K

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Larry Ellison spent All The Money In The World to create a time machine, he bought back spaceship engineer Montgomery Scott from the year 2270 and set him working 24 hours a day during that 7 day period on making the boat go faster.

Reply #144 Posted: September 30, 2013, 04:45:07 pm

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
2 foils round $2mill a pop, SAS which was said to be $20mill????, SOS flights for 5 from NZ plus labour and time etc.

Total = $69 Billion

You read it here first peeps.

Reply #145 Posted: September 30, 2013, 05:04:46 pm
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

I'd always trust Growler's word over facts. Because facts don't have bacon.

Reply #146 Posted: September 30, 2013, 05:13:40 pm

Offline BerG

• Terminator

Kim Dotkom will put 100 billion in and save us.

Because a file upload website is worth way more than a stupid multi-national corporation called 'Oracal' or something.

Reply #147 Posted: September 30, 2013, 07:37:12 pm

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: BerG;1532218
Kim Dotkom will put 100 billion in and save us.

Because a file upload website is worth way more than a stupid multi-national corporation called 'Oracal' or something.

it'd be LOLOL if MEGA dropped all it's oracle licenses.....

Reply #148 Posted: September 30, 2013, 07:58:15 pm
"We are the majority we arent the tards, the people we pick on are." -Luse_K

Offline winter

• Addicted
  • winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!
How is Dot com still earning mega bucks? what's his current source of income?

Reply #149 Posted: October 02, 2013, 09:31:42 am