Topic: Snap and Twitch.tv

Offline .osiRiS

• Administrator
  • .osiRiS is a rising star!.osiRiS is a rising star!.osiRiS is a rising star!.osiRiS is a rising star!.osiRiS is a rising star!.osiRiS is a rising star!
Anyone else on Snap have real issues with streaming anything from Twitch?

I was fine a couple of months ago then something changed.

I'm on a wired 50/20 UFB connection, yet I can't stream anything even on low.

Posted: February 14, 2014, 11:59:19 pm

Offline prolax

• Administrator
  • prolax might someday be someone...prolax might someday be someone...prolax might someday be someone...prolax might someday be someone...
i'm on snap and don't have any issues with twitch

Reply #1 Posted: February 15, 2014, 07:29:04 am

Offline DarkVirus

• Administrator
  • DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!
So im with Voda Fibre 30/10.

8am - 1pm - I can watch source
1pm - 3pm starts to lag switch to high
3pm - 6pm starts to lag switch to medium

On rare occurrences i have to switch to low until about 2am.

If you look into a commandline program called livestreamer, you can watch streams on VLC player without the website ads/chat which helps a bit.

ie : livestreamer.exe http://www.twitch.tv/nightblue3 high will open VLC to nightblue3's stream on medium quality.

This all seems to come back to NZ's connection to the states, i get pathetic speeds into america, but fine anywhere in the world before that point on the southern cross cable.

This is to 'Sydney' California

This is to Sydney Australia

My international connection is fine, just seems to be america.

The american ones are obviously rate limited as you see the speed spiking up and down as its limiting the traffic.

The only reasoning i have come up for this, is Kim Dot Com pissed people off in america when he decided to move all his hosting to NZ, so they rate limited NZ.
Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 09:27:26 am by DarkVirus

Reply #2 Posted: February 15, 2014, 09:21:40 am
Praise be to RNGesus
Add me to Steam

Offline .osiRiS

• Administrator
  • .osiRiS is a rising star!.osiRiS is a rising star!.osiRiS is a rising star!.osiRiS is a rising star!.osiRiS is a rising star!.osiRiS is a rising star!
i'm on snap and don't have any issues with twitch

What connection?

Reply #3 Posted: February 15, 2014, 09:34:50 am

Offline Arseynimz

• Administrator
  • Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!
Telecom (so Snap wholesaler), and no probs to twitch last few nights/days.

I also stream to US West (instead of Singapore), and no issues with upstream either. VDSL 30/12 on average.

Reply #4 Posted: February 16, 2014, 06:08:08 pm
Maybe if i just click this.....shit...DV gonna be maaaaad!

Codex

Telecom (so Snap wholesaler), and no probs to twitch last few nights/days.

I also stream to US West (instead of Singapore), and no issues with upstream either. VDSL 30/12 on average.
Just because telecom is the wholesaler of the infrastructure doesn't mean any of the routing is similar from ISP to ISP, there's generally a reason why some exceed more than others.

Snap Fibre 30/10 and no lag issues with twitch at any time of day, watch twitch pretty often too.

Reply #5 Posted: February 16, 2014, 07:19:32 pm

Offline Speakman

• Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!
^Exactly.

Just because an ISP uses Chorus (not Telecom, they split in 2008) Lines, doesn't mean the performance will be the same. Sure, line performance will be, but that only affects how it is until it reaches the ISP's network. Every ISP runs different set ups in terms of international routes/providers/capacity etc

Reply #6 Posted: February 16, 2014, 07:25:32 pm
Quote from: Mellcor
i had kinda hope speakman had died, what a pity

Offline FOAMER

• Just settled in
  • FOAMER has no influence.
Have you not seen the Vodafone website they having major problems.

Reply #7 Posted: February 16, 2014, 08:56:31 pm

Offline .osiRiS

• Administrator
Ok so seems to be just me then, trying to run this stream http://www.twitch.tv/beyondthesummit at high or source and both stop and start for about 30 secs at a time.

Any ideas on how I can fix this?

Odd thing is it seems to freeze up my whole internet at the same time - web pages stop loading and take a further 30 secs to load again.
Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 09:18:15 pm by .osiRiS

Reply #8 Posted: February 16, 2014, 09:16:01 pm

Offline Xenolightning

• Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!
Have you tried living at the GetSome Data Centre?

Reply #9 Posted: February 16, 2014, 10:52:43 pm
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline Lias

• Administrator
  • Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!
Ok so seems to be just me then, trying to run this stream http://www.twitch.tv/beyondthesummit at high or source and both stop and start for about 30 secs at a time.

Any ideas on how I can fix this?

Odd thing is it seems to freeze up my whole internet at the same time - web pages stop loading and take a further 30 secs to load again.

Can watch that stream fine in source or high on Snap VDSL, even while nearly maxing the connection with "linux iso acquisitions"

The free up the entire internet thing. Is it just the device you are watching Twitch on, or is it for every device?

Reply #10 Posted: February 16, 2014, 10:53:10 pm

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!

Reply #11 Posted: February 17, 2014, 07:44:31 am
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

Offline Craigor

• Administrator
  • Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!

Arseynimz has tried this for us, in shorts and jandals, for a prolonged period of time

He didn't seem too happy near the end of the experiment

Reply #12 Posted: February 17, 2014, 10:03:07 am
<a href="steam://friends/add/76561197966242864/">Add me to Steam</a> <- Fixed! lol

Offline Arseynimz

• Administrator
  • Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!

Arseynimz has tried this for us, in shorts and jandals, for a prolonged period of time

He didn't seem too happy near the end of the experiment
It was fun until I'd finished my backups, after that it was just waiting for shit to be set up by DV & Craigor. That's when it got cold.

That said, I could just sit behind the Get Some servers to heat up now (which I couldn't do before ;) ) given they're in use!

Reply #13 Posted: February 17, 2014, 01:22:34 pm
Maybe if i just click this.....shit...DV gonna be maaaaad!

Offline .osiRiS

• Administrator
Looks like it was a faulty extension in chrome that was borking things. Weird that it would freeze my whole net up completely and shut other ppl on wifi out as well.

Reply #14 Posted: February 17, 2014, 01:29:19 pm

Offline Speakman

• Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!
What extension was it, do you know? Could be handy in case I hear of it again

Reply #15 Posted: February 17, 2014, 02:15:12 pm
Quote from: Mellcor
i had kinda hope speakman had died, what a pity

Offline .osiRiS

• Administrator
I disabled Avast's Online extension as it was conflicting with Adblock which seemed to fix things. Still get the odd buffering but nothing as bad as it was before.

Reply #16 Posted: February 17, 2014, 02:27:50 pm