Topic: Make a map, and we'll most likely trial it.

Offline Kayne

• Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!
Hello Boys and Neon

As I've started (trying) to make a map, I figured I should let you all know too.

You need COUNTER STRIKE SOURCE
I've also found that you must launch hammer.exe found in the counter-strike source/bin folder

Make a map for getsome, and there is a high chance we'll trial it. If you're aspiring to become a map maker, then I guess having the most popular nz / aus getsome server run it would get it a lot of attention right? Instant fame, Instant glory, and we'll have more content to play on the server, which will have been created by YOU. How cool is that? Really cool right? I know, You don't have to say how cool it is.

I'll also be doing small competitions / community things. Ideas such as everyone makes a room / house, and we place it on one big communal map.

First thing you will need is Hammer. Hammer is Valves community tool for creating maps. Hammer is apart of Source SDK, which stands for Source Development Kit (makes sense, right?).

At the top of your steam games it will say "Games" just under "Library", Right next to the search bar. Clicking on that will present you with a drop down list, with "Tools" being one of the options. Click on tools, then Scroll Scroll Scroll down until you see "Source SDK". Right click that and hit "Install game".

Once that has finished downloading, you now have all the tools you need. Shit I can already feel the excitement brooding off you.

Open Source SDK and you will notice it is asking for a game selection down the bottom. Make sure it is on Counter Strike Source. Aside from that, double click the Hammer tool which will be at the top of the list.

Once it's launched (which may take a few minutes first time), You will need to configure Hammer to work for Garrys mod / ttt.

(As seen in the picture below) Click on "Tools" in the top left, click on "Options", Then you will be presented with this box.

Spoiler :

Click on "Add", Then navigate to your steamapps folder.

The default install path for your steam folder is C:/program files/Steam/Steamapps. Progress further by clicking on the folder with your steam name, then on "garrysmod", then "garrysmod" AGAIN, then gamemodes, then finally, terrortown.

For me, this is the file path.

D:\GAMES\Steam\steamapps\purecokayne\garrysmod\garrysmod\gamemodes\terrortown

Inside that folder will be a file named ttt.fdg , If for some reason it isn't there, then you'll need to download it from this link here
http://ttt.badking.net/mapping-guide/ttt.fgd?attredirects=0

Finally - Click on that file in hammer to add it to the configuration list.

Now close and reopen, and your hammer will be ready to map for ttt.

As I am not the best mapper, I think I'd be doing a terrible job of explaining what I already know (which is bugger all), so your best bet will be to youtube.

This video seems good enough to get you started

Hammer Tutorial - First Map

and two links that may help.

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Your_First_Map
http://ttt.badking.net/mapping-guide

Now hurry up. I'm getting tired of playing dolls all the time.

Small tips I can add...

* Holding space while click dragging on any of the grids will allow you to look / move around
 * 12 units is the highest amount of distance a step can be, otherwise you would have to jump up the steps.
 * You can download materials for your map, sure, but things like materials, songs, and noises that aren't in default gmod / css will need to be added with the map and downloaded, increasing the file size. The smaller the map FILE SIZE, the better!
 * If you find the Source SDK hammer doesn't work, go to your counterstrike source folder and run Hammer.exe, Make sure to add ttt's files again!
* Pressing [ or ] makes the grid larger or smaller. I prefer to work on the smallest scale.
Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 12:11:54 am by `Kayne

Posted: January 24, 2015, 08:34:13 pm
Top Geary - 27th May 2016 at 12:10 AM
I've learnt to ignore when you say derogatory things to me

Offline Bailey Ford

• I Posted!
  • Bailey Ford has no influence.
Does this need cs:s to work?

Reply #1 Posted: January 26, 2015, 08:14:44 am
Your local fedora wearing srcub

Offline Kayne

• Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!
Yes. 100%, it needs CS:S to work.

You actually need to launch hammer in the CS:S Files, and (probably) the natural cs:s textures, as you may force people to see pink squares if they're looking for illegal textures they don't have.

Reply #2 Posted: January 26, 2015, 11:50:09 am

Offline Bailey Ford

• I Posted!
yay another game I hav to download

Reply #3 Posted: January 26, 2015, 12:57:24 pm

Offline Kayne

While I never would of thought classical music would be my cup of tea, it is VERY relaxing and calming.

I've found it's quite good for hammer since making a map is easy, it just takes a lot of patience.

Listening to my normal fast paced music would cause me to get bored very fast.

Give it a try.

Classical Music Mix - Best Classical Pieces

Reply #4 Posted: January 28, 2015, 12:13:16 am

Offline Bailey Ford

• I Posted!
so i have downloaded hammer it works fine except for when i try to test it,it will load up cs:s I will create server and try to play but it will not even load im wondering what would cause this problem?

Reply #5 Posted: January 28, 2015, 05:56:23 pm

Offline Kayne

Save / compress the map file to garrysmod/garrysmod/maps

Launch up garrys mod

Open console (~)

Type "map mymapname" or what ever you named it.

Reply #6 Posted: January 28, 2015, 07:51:47 pm

Offline Bailey Ford

• I Posted!
Oh ok wasn't trying in gmod cuz I forgot about the TTT addons :o

Reply #7 Posted: January 28, 2015, 09:24:20 pm

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Is this for g-mod?

Can I just recycle one of my tf2 maps?

Reply #8 Posted: January 29, 2015, 08:36:43 am

Offline Kayne

If you add traitor traps and a t room then go for it.

Reply #9 Posted: January 29, 2015, 07:15:00 pm