Topic: Solomon Islanders and Dolphins

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
They best be carefull, sooner or later they'll catch one of those Navy trained dolphins which freakin lasers attched to their flippers.

Reply #25 Posted: February 01, 2013, 08:26:44 am

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Bell;1516545
How long have they been hunting dolphins?
I bet it has been sustainable for them for along time.

Bottle nosed dolphins are also not endangered, so I think this is more to do with your feelings that dolphins are cool than anything else.
If some villagers killed 3000 wild boar would you give a shit?

And their population would have increased, and their needs have obviously changed (money) where it would have once been very sustainable for a small group of islands to hunt dolphins, even on a global scale with the Japanese, Scandinavians, etc hunting them using traditional methods for real survival, then sure it would have been sustainable, but the slaughter of over 1000 dolphins on a point on the globe is not sustainable, it will also encourage other communities to hunt them too, and this isn't survival now it's actual greed (1.7 million went missing, don't tell me it's not about greed), so while the bottle nose isn't endangered, if we let them keep this up, they will be.

I'm not going to have my intelligence insulted, or indeed insult your intelligence with the differences between boars and dolphins, but 3000 people are slaughtered a day, why don't we have a thread on that? (oh religion thread - nevermind)

Reply #26 Posted: February 01, 2013, 08:31:46 am
"We are the majority we arent the tards, the people we pick on are." -Luse_K

Offline BerG

• Terminator

• BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.
They also need to watch out for the dolphins with fricken torpedoes strapped to their fricken undersides.

Reply #27 Posted: February 01, 2013, 08:50:10 am

Offline 5loth

• Addicted
  • 5loth has no influence.
We seem to justify killing in bulk by removing their ability to have a life in the first place.

Reply #28 Posted: February 01, 2013, 10:50:42 am
sila.

Offline 5loth

• Addicted
We seem to justify farming/killing in bulk by removing their ability to have a life in the first place.

Reply #29 Posted: February 01, 2013, 10:51:02 am
sila.

Codex

Quote from: 5loth;1516575
We seem to justify farming/killing in bulk by removing their ability to have a life in the first place.

That's heavy, man.

Reply #30 Posted: February 01, 2013, 10:53:10 am

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Most Cows seem to have a pretty good life.

At least here in NZ.

Untill they are eaten.

Reply #31 Posted: February 01, 2013, 10:58:00 am

Offline 5loth

• Addicted
Quote from: Bounty Hunter;1516501
well we carefully control the birth and death rate of livestock, and they're isolated in a farm, soooo if thry made a sea farm for whales and dolphins that'd be great, totally impractical but that's not my problem.

Is it any better preventing extinction if all that is left are animals we "isolate in a farm" and kill as we please?

Reply #32 Posted: February 01, 2013, 11:09:49 am
sila.

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: 5loth;1516578
Is it any better preventing extinction if all that is left are animals we "isolate in a farm" and kill as we please?

compared to a life without us, yes.

imagine a person who spent every waking hour of the day making sure you were constantly standing on food, and you had no disease, no predators, big wide open spaces to wander and eat through....

Reply #33 Posted: February 01, 2013, 11:25:16 am

Offline 5loth

• Addicted
Quote from: Bounty Hunter;1516579
compared to a life without us, yes.

imagine a person who spent every waking hour of the day making sure you were constantly standing on food, and you had no disease, no predators, big wide open spaces to wander and eat through....

Not much different to our prisons then?

Imagine a life where the moment you are born you are kept in a cage, until the day you die.

Reply #34 Posted: February 01, 2013, 11:32:04 am
sila.

Quote from: 5loth;1516578

Of course it is. Being alive is better then being extinct.

Lot's of animals are killed for food by other animals, that is how nature works. However the share number of humans on this planet requires us to be reasonable with our sources of food, i.e Farming, least we run out.

Reply #35 Posted: February 01, 2013, 11:38:49 am

Quote from: Bounty Hunter;1516579
big wide open spaces to wander and eat through....

Quote from: 5loth;1516581
Imagine a life where the moment you are born you are kept in a cage, until the day you die.

You're introducing the subject of caged farming into this. Which is a seprate discussion.

Reply #36 Posted: February 01, 2013, 11:41:05 am

Offline 5loth

• Addicted
Quote from: Spacemonkey;1516582
Of course it is. Being alive is better then being extinct.

Lot's of animals are killed for food by other animals, that is how nature works. However the share number of humans on this planet requires us to be reasonable with our sources of food, i.e Farming, least we run out.

If all humans were tied up from birth and tortured constantly, would that still be better than extinction?

Yes that is how nature works, are you saying how we farm animals is "how nature works"?

Reply #37 Posted: February 01, 2013, 11:43:22 am
sila.

Offline 5loth

• Addicted
Quote from: Spacemonkey;1516583
You're introducing the subject of caged farming into this. Which is a seprate discussion.

I didn't see anyone say this was only relating to wide open-space farming? Particularly in the posts I quoted/responded to.

Reply #38 Posted: February 01, 2013, 11:44:30 am
sila.

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: 5loth;1516585
If all humans were tied up from birth and tortured constantly, would that still be better than extinction?

Humans havent been on the menu since 1942
And again in 1973

Reply #39 Posted: February 01, 2013, 11:53:26 am
I am now banned from GetSome

Quote from: 5loth;1516586
I didn't see anyone say this was only relating to wide open-space farming? Particularly in the posts I quoted/responded to.

This is a thread about dolphins.

Why are you discussing cage farming?

Reply #40 Posted: February 01, 2013, 11:55:26 am

Offline 5loth

• Addicted
Quote from: Spacemonkey;1516589
This is a thread about dolphins.

Why are you discussing cage farming?

If this is a thread about solely dolphins, why did BH mention "imagine a person who spent every waking hour of the day making sure you were constantly standing on food, and you had no disease, no predators, big wide open spaces to wander and eat through".

Does that apply to dolphins? You're not really adding anything here, and I'm obviously not talking to you anyhow.

Reply #41 Posted: February 01, 2013, 12:03:48 pm
sila.

Offline Equity

• Addicted
  • Equity has no influence.
Dolphins are pretty smart, cows arent and taste good...

Kelly says the group was just settling in to view the magnificent giant Mantas when they saw a Bottlenose dolphin swimming toward them. While that in itself was not unusual, what caught the diver's attention was the mammal's unusual squeal. As the dolphin came close and almost pushed itself onto Kelly, he realized that it was in distress, thanks to a fishing line that had entangled around it, and was asking for help!

Reply #42 Posted: February 01, 2013, 12:10:28 pm
"think c2w might be a little to hard core for my skills atm anyways"-Splatter

Offline Equity

• Addicted
  • Equity has no influence.
Dolphins form life raft to help dying friend

Reply #43 Posted: February 01, 2013, 12:12:45 pm
"think c2w might be a little to hard core for my skills atm anyways"-Splatter

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
Quote from: 5loth;1516581
Not much different to our prisons then?

Yeah I'm against cage farming too.

Quote from: 5loth;1516585

Yes that is how nature works, are you saying how we farm animals is "how nature works"?

Yes.

Quote from: 5loth;1516586

It's not, but the point is really poor, so you should probably abandon it and try something else, or a new angle.

Quote from: 5loth;1516591
If this is a thread about solely dolphins, why did BH mention "imagine a person who spent every waking hour of the day making sure you were constantly standing on food, and you had no disease, no predators, big wide open spaces to wander and eat through".

Does that apply to dolphins? You're not really adding anything here, and I'm obviously not talking to you anyhow.

The farming discussion stemmed from bell pointing out my ethical contradiction in that I view farming as ok, but not the slaughter of dolphins, where savages might view slaughter of dolphins as ok, but not farming. However his point is poorly contrived in that farming is highly controlled, and that tradition for the sake of tradition in this modern global world we live is hardly a good point to carry on doing something, especially when things have changed as I pointed out in a post above.

Dolphins do have..."a person who spent every waking hour of the day making sure you were constantly standing on food, and you had no disease, no predators, big wide open spaces to wander and eat through" except they swim and don't wander, however the problem is in the massive size of the wide open space and the ratio of people in said space looking after them to people trying to exploit them without control.

You could try pointing out that a dolphin/whale farm (which I'm all for) is a logistical nightmare and totally impractical? My retort point would of course be that I shop at a supermarket down the road for practicality sake, not in Auckland, hence defeating your point.

Oh you could point out that sheeps only rely on humans because we forced them that way, have you ever seen a wild sheep? they're fucked without us, some of them die from the sheer weight of their wool, and that natural selection ought to have kicked in a while ago and killed the sheeps off, much like natural selection ought to have kicked in a while ago and killed the dolphins off by a more dominant predator( humans)? you should try that, I can only think of a weak "but we're not animals" retort to that?

Reply #44 Posted: February 01, 2013, 06:17:38 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
  • Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.
Quote from: Equity;1516592
Dolphins are pretty smart, cows arent and taste good...

Kelly says the group was just settling in to view the magnificent giant Mantas when they saw a Bottlenose dolphin swimming toward them. While that in itself was not unusual, what caught the diver's attention was the mammal's unusual squeal. As the dolphin came close and almost pushed itself onto Kelly, he realized that it was in distress, thanks to a fishing line that had entangled around it, and was asking for help!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ro4Wil09FnI

But pigs are smart. You can train them like dogs.

Reply #45 Posted: February 01, 2013, 06:31:38 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
  • Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.
Quote from: Bounty Hunter;1516621
The farming discussion stemmed from bell pointing out my ethical contradiction in that I view farming as ok, but not the slaughter of dolphins, where savages might view slaughter of dolphins as ok, but not farming. However his point is poorly contrived in that farming is highly controlled, and that tradition for the sake of tradition in this modern global world we live is hardly a good point to carry on doing something, especially when things have changed as I pointed out in a post above.

Nope, I used 2 examples of animals that we kill on mass that have no problem with.
I picked lamb and pigs because lambs are babies, we kill and celebrate the taste of babies.
And I picked pigs as a counter to any dolphins are smart argument because pigs are pretty damn smart, you decided that I was talking about farming specifically and then everyone came up with great arguments about why farming is ok and hunting wild animals is not.
By the way on that note, how do you feel about fishing in general? You only ever eat farmed fish right? Not that other fish caught from trawling the oceans that kills god know how many dolphins you would never do that!

The fact you refer to other cultures as savages is pretty telling, I am certain that your whole problem here boils down to "I believe you shouldn't eat dolphins or Whales because they are cool animals" it's not about them being endangered and you are worried about them going extinct because they aren't at risk especially not from villagers.

I'm pretty sure if you were a village fisherman  that and some white dude one day came along and told you that oh you shouldn't do that because it's bad you would tell him to get fucked.
Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 06:51:27 pm by Bell

Reply #46 Posted: February 01, 2013, 06:49:17 pm

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
Quote from: Bell;1516623
But pigs are smart. You can train them like dogs.

classical conditioning is not a sign of intelligence.

Reply #47 Posted: February 01, 2013, 06:53:25 pm

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
Quote from: Bell;1516625
Nope, I used 2 examples of animals that we kill on mass that have no problem with.
I picked lamb and pigs because lambs are babies, we kill and celebrate the taste of babies.
And I picked pigs as a counter to any dolphins are smart argument because pigs are pretty damn smart, you decided that I was talking about farming specifically and then everyone came up with great arguments about why farming is ok and hunting wild animals is not.
By the way on that note, how do you feel about fishing in general? You only ever eat farmed fish right? Not that other fish caught from trawling the oceans that kills god know how many dolphins you would never do that!

The fact you refer to other cultures as savages is pretty telling, I am certain that your whole problem here boils down to "I believe you shouldn't eat dolphins or Whales because they are cool animals" it's not about them being endangered and you are worried about them going extinct because they aren't at risk especially not from villagers.

I'm pretty sure if you were a village fisherman  that and some white dude one day came along and told you that oh you shouldn't do that because it's bad you would tell him to get fucked.

Oh, well the problem with that is that lamb isn't really lamb (especially the shit in the supermarket, it's usually hogget) but lambs aren't the cute wee fellas you see in the fields playing king of the castle.

Pigs aren't smart like dolphins.

Plus both are controlled.

Cant afford fish, when I can I catch my own salmon or trout with a license or buy it from the mt cook salmon farms (which is controlled)

I know (I believe nothing - faith is knowing you're wrong but doing it anyway) you shouldn't eat dolphins or Whales because they are truly intelligent animals, I think they deserve better and I feel we can learn so much from them, even stuff like space travel and how we might communicate with an alien race, I think the idea of having a conversation, however simple, with a dolphin is fascinating and there is real research in this area, I could have been a marine biologist if it weren't for 4th form science taking samples of crabs at portobello.

I use the word savages because they are, they live in squalor, their government is corrupt and they're poorly educated, their women are basically slaves, they haven't made the step into industrialisation. By definition they are savages, the fact they still hunt dolphin is proof, my people (the English) hunted dolphin and whale, but someone came along and point out how bad it was and we stopped? why cant they? too stupid.

Reply #48 Posted: February 01, 2013, 07:16:56 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
No pigs aren't as smart as dolphins but they are smarter than cats and about the same as dogs.
So wheres the line?

Reply #49 Posted: February 01, 2013, 07:36:52 pm