Topic: Asteroidal Impact Coaxial Volcanic Projection hypothesis (AICVP)

Offline dirtyape

• Addicted
  • dirtyape has no influence.
Related:

Giant crater explains strange shape of Mars

http://stuff.co.nz/4598097a12.html

He said shock waves from the impact would have travelled through the planet and disrupted the crust on the other side, causing changes in the magnetic field. In a third report, Nimmo and colleagues said such magnetic anomalies have been measured in Mars' Southern Hemisphere.

"We haven't proved the giant-impact hypothesis, but I think we've shifted the tide. The majority of the evidence is now in favour of the giant impact," Andrews-Hanna said in a statement.

This adds significant weight to the AICVP hypothesis.

A disruption in the magnetosphere could be caused by an irregular dispersion of the planets liquid inner core possibly due to the injection of non-ferric matter into northern hemisphere of the core itself.

Perhaps the injection of matter into the core also caused disproportionate cooling of the core. If so this would have contributed to the death of the planet.

Perhaps this could be proven/disproven by examining the magnetosphere around Olympus Mons. If this hypothesis has any credibility at all there should be stronger magnetic fields around that vicinity.

These are not boils on Mars, but a way of depicting the surface magnetic fields on the planet to emphasize their ability to shield the surface from the solar wind. The greater the bulge, the stronger and more protective the magnetic field. Note that most of the remaining magnetic fields are in the southern hemisphere. (Photo: David Brain/SSL)

Source: http://www.theallineed.com/astronomy/06012702.htm

Unfortunately that is all the data I can find at the moment, and there is no correlation between the fields and the geology.

So the question still remains is the irregular magnetosphere of Mars caused by the magnetic properties of the soil, an irregular core, or something else.

Reply #25 Posted: June 26, 2008, 05:24:25 pm
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that they are difficult to verify." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
what are you going to do with all this neat info you've gathered?

Reply #26 Posted: June 26, 2008, 05:28:49 pm
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline [∞]MadMike

• Addicted
  • [∞]MadMike has no influence.
Quote from: TofuEater;712516
Interesting theory. Taupo is a "super-volcano", it's last eruption was in 86AD. Perhaps there is a crater on the other side of the earth that corresponds to it's location?

Taupo Is several super volcano's that have erupted at different intervals over 1000's of years. for this theory to be true it would mean that there would have had to of been many impacts in the same place multiple time's, wouldn't an impact of this size have a huge effect on the planets orbit?

Also for this theory to be true you are asuming that the potential energy has traveled through the earth without spreading...... as one would assume that normal physics laws apply. you would expect that energy to disipate through the entire core of the earth not just in a straight line..... but no doubt Grim or Simon will be here soon

Reply #27 Posted: June 27, 2008, 11:19:04 am

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
  • Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.
A Reappraisal of the Caldera Structural Continuum: Insights into Supervolcano Formation

Might be of interest to you.
Interesting theory. You've piqued my interest as well, so I will look into it more...
However, I don't think that impacts are a necessary prerequisite for supervolcano formation. They may have an affect on some, but there is also the possibility of synchronicity to take into account,, as well as the oft-spake topic of plate tectonics...

link
Sorry I don't have full access.

link

It seems there are others working on the same/similar 'problems'.

link

I haven't read all of this, but you might like to try here first...it looks reasonably 'interesting'...

Sorry Mike, what did you say?....lol

Reply #28 Posted: June 27, 2008, 12:19:49 pm
Recycle your red poppies, paint them white, and wear them throughout the year.

Offline dirtyape

• Addicted
Quote from: Pyromanik;743953
what are you going to do with all this neat info you've gathered?

I'm going to print it all out and make a series of hats and paper boats.

Quote from: dowmadmike;744434
Taupo Is several super volcano's that have erupted at different intervals over 1000's of years. for this theory to be true it would mean that there would have had to of been many impacts in the same place multiple time's, wouldn't an impact of this size have a huge effect on the planets orbit?

Personally I would consider Taupo as a single magma event that has manifested in a super volcanoe and a series of other volcanic events due to plate tectonics, crustal seams, weak spots, and uprising hot spots. I would be surprised if volcanologists considered it differently.

Your suggesting that "there would have had to of been many impacts" is simply not true, it is not a statement of fact at all. You are predicting the projection based solely on the impact and not taking into account all the other environmental factors involved. In short, you have over simplified the problem and dismissed it based on this over simplification.

The main idea in this hypothesis is that an impact upsets the cores equilibrium and triggers a magma projection. It is not the projectile that directly causes the projection, I am suggesting that it is the disruption to the core's equilibrium that allows for a bubble of magma to rise over time. Significant time. As in millions of years perhaps, I don't know.

This is not a hypothesis that simply states a asteroid hits and pushes out a volcano directly opposite. I thought I had made this clear... ?

Also for this theory to be true you are asuming that the potential energy has traveled through the earth without spreading...... as one would assume that normal physics laws apply. you would expect that energy to disipate through the entire core of the earth not just in a straight line..... but no doubt Grim or Simon will be here soon

Firstly, it's not potential energy, it's kinetic. And I think you will find that it is you that has made an assumption about what I am suggesting.

In a wave projection the strongest force is always directly in front of the wave.

Also, the dispersion wave would reflect internally of the differing densities of the crust and the mantles. This would be a concave reflection due to the Earth's curvature and would refocus the dispersion waves energy back towards the primary waves apex.

Reply #29 Posted: June 27, 2008, 02:16:51 pm
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that they are difficult to verify." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline [∞]MadMike

• Addicted
Quote from: dirtyape;744561
I'm going to print it all out and make a series of hats and paper boats.

Personally I would consider Taupo as a single magma event that has manifested in a super volcanoe and a series of other volcanic events due to plate tectonics, crustal seams, weak spots, and uprising hot spots. I would be surprised if volcanologists considered it differently.

Your suggesting that "there would have had to of been many impacts" is simply not true, it is not a statement of fact at all. You are predicting the projection based solely on the impact and not taking into account all the other environmental factors involved. In short, you have over simplified the problem and dismissed it based on this over simplification.

The main idea in this hypothesis is that an impact upsets the cores equilibrium and triggers a magma projection. It is not the projectile that directly causes the projection, I am suggesting that it is the disruption to the core's equilibrium that allows for a bubble of magma to rise over time. Significant time. As in millions of years perhaps, I don't know.

This is not a hypothesis that simply states a asteroid hits and pushes out a volcano directly opposite. I thought I had made this clear... ?

Firstly, it's not potential energy, it's kinetic. And I think you will find that it is you that has made an assumption about what I am suggesting.

In a wave projection the strongest force is always directly in front of the wave.

Also, the dispersion wave would reflect internally of the differing densities of the crust and the mantles. This would be a concave reflection due to the Earth's curvature and would refocus the dispersion waves energy back towards the primary waves apex.

Um question marks mean question not fact..... sorry but my terms are out cause its been a while. kinetic energy is? transfered energy ?.  potential energy is stored energy?.... regardless of the name the theory of how the energy will transfere is the same. if the energy can spread it will. hence my statement of dispursion. I wasn't blowing holes in your theory more asking questions about it, names be wrong but theory be right..... Taupo is part (newZealand is part) of a tectonic fault line, and probably the main cause of most of the volcanos in Newzealand, it has several craters the biggest of which was the second to last eruption,

Reply #30 Posted: June 27, 2008, 02:49:01 pm

Offline kookynic

• Cooking by the Book

• kookynic might someday be someone...kookynic might someday be someone...kookynic might someday be someone...kookynic might someday be someone...
Is it possable that the core of the planet could change the coarse of the impact to create a volcano ... eg how gravity bends light

... so that the volcano isnt exactly opposite the impact sight .???

just wondering   but surely the core would change the projected coarse

Reply #31 Posted: June 27, 2008, 02:54:15 pm

Offline [∞]MadMike

• Addicted
Quote from: kookynic;744582
Is it possable that the core of the planet could change the coarse of the impact to create a volcano ... eg how gravity bends light

I was more wondering if the spherical shape combined with gravity etc etc would bend projected shock waves

Reply #32 Posted: June 27, 2008, 03:30:26 pm

Offline dirtyape

• Addicted
Quote from: dowmadmike;744576
Um question marks mean question not fact..... sorry but my terms are out cause its been a while. kinetic energy is? transfered energy ?.  potential energy is stored energy?.... regardless of the name the theory of how the energy will transfere is the same. if the energy can spread it will. hence my statement of dispursion. I wasn't blowing holes in your theory more asking questions about it, names be wrong but theory be right..... Taupo is part (newZealand is part) of a tectonic fault line, and probably the main cause of most of the volcanos in Newzealand, it has several craters the biggest of which was the second to last eruption,

Your question was related to the orbit of the planet being altered by a series of large impact events, I did not address this as it is not relevant to the topic of this thread. Instead I explained why I considered it moot.

But now that you mention it, yes the orbit of the planet would be altered slightly. But then you also have to take into account the planets current orbital momentum, which is many magnitudes greater than that of the proposed impact object.

Also, a problem in even considering alteration of the Earth's orbit is this - we do not know how the Earth orbited prior to this collision. So as there is no data before the hypothetical event we can never accurately measure the orbital adjustment - even if it were measurable. So I think it's a moot point.

Kinetic energy is the energy of moving matter btw.

As for the faults, and volcanic activity, perhaps the asteroidal impact actually caused all this. Perhaps New Zealand exists because of an asteroid strike.

And yes I am waiting for geologists flames.

Quote from: kookynic;744582

I thought I stated that above somewhere? Oh well, nevermind. You are 100% correct. The rotation of the planet would mean the magma rise would be skewed from the original impact. There are many many factors - most of which are invisible to us such as the non linear densities of the lithosphere and core, fractures and hot spots of the rising magma, etc.

As such, this hypothesis may be exceedingly difficult to prove. Especially seeing as how we don't really know what's going on inside our own planet...

Reply #33 Posted: June 27, 2008, 05:01:18 pm

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
  • Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.
Quote from: dirtyape;744660
As for the faults, and volcanic activity, perhaps the asteroidal impact actually caused all this. Perhaps New Zealand exists because of an asteroid strike.

Just a few links, some good stuff here. Hope it helps. There's some basic background too, ignore if you must

read this book

a recipe for microcontinent formation

NZ intraplate volcanism

Canterbury research

NZ tectonostratigraphy

related

Hotspots and Mantle Plumes

basic

USGS

Hotspot reference frame

links between hotspots and plate tectonics

more

a lecture !!!

deep origin of hotspots...the mantle plume model

Geomagnetism and Dynamism

realtime monitoring

more

Earth's Core

At the Earth's Core

geodynamo

powerpoint lecture!!!

geodynamo etc

Quote from: dirtyape;744660
Especially seeing as how we don't really know what's going on inside our own planet...

or alternately, we're beginning to get rather a decent handle on it.

Reply #34 Posted: June 27, 2008, 05:38:10 pm

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
Huge Meteor Strike Explains Mars' Shape

Just came across this, thought it was pertinent and that you might find it interesting.

Reply #35 Posted: June 30, 2008, 08:52:59 am

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
Also,
I've just got this book out of the library: Geological and Biological Effects of Impact Events (Buffetaut & Koeberl, Eds.) Springer 2001
ISBN 3-540-422865-2

I've just looked through the contents and there is nothing about crustal displacement etc. Not to say that it;s not a valid hypothesis you have, just that no one seems to have considered it too much of an

a)item of interest to research
b)feasible theory
c)haven't got around to it.

Anyway, I'm interested, so I'll post whatever I can find. Maybe it will help?

Reply #36 Posted: July 02, 2008, 12:17:58 pm

Offline dirtyape

• Addicted
Cheers Grim, you've provided a good deal of subject matter to consider and I appreciate it. Now, just need a chance to do some more research myself...

Reply #37 Posted: July 02, 2008, 02:07:36 pm

Offline dirtyape

• Addicted
http://phys.org/news/2013-05-earth-center-sync.html

Well that fucks that hypothesis, or at least makes it impossible to prove. Or disprove... hmmmm

Reply #38 Posted: May 14, 2013, 05:18:54 pm

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
So you're telling me that this hypothesis has been deified?

Reply #39 Posted: May 14, 2013, 05:36:11 pm
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Spacemonkey;674200
I'm reading 'A Brief History of Everything' too, but i mustn't have gotten up to this chapter yet.

I still haven't finished.

I dispute the word 'Brief' in this context.

Reply #40 Posted: May 14, 2013, 07:06:23 pm