19 (6.9%)
Shooting - FPS, 3rd person
56 (20.2%)
Mind - RTS, puzzle games
24 (8.7%)
Action - Martial arts and swordplay
17 (6.1%)

Total Members Voted: 314

Topic: What would YOU look for in a future game?

Offline Zhija

• Just settled in
  • Zhija has no influence.
Me and a couple of friends were discussing what kind of games would sell well if they were released, what the general public are after, and I decided that the best way to find out who's right would be to go right to the source of the best gamers. Kinda. Basically, all I want to know is what kind of things do you look for when purchasing a new game. Multiplayer, openness, realism, obscenity - those kinds of things. The poll attached is kind of limited, so if you have more specific things please post them below. If you really cannot be fucked and you're just going to troll then don't bother posting, and just leave it rather than pollute the topic with faggotry, thanks.

/edit/ These games don't have to be FPS, any kind of game. Really, Final Fantasy if you swing that way./edit

Posted: August 28, 2008, 04:12:58 pm

Offline Spigalau

• Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.
* Anatomically correct figures.
* Real Physics
* Real Movement - none of this bunny hopping, insta prone spam.
* Large environments
* Multiple facets of game play - planes, vehicles, boats, sub's, etc
* Integrated Server Browser, Buddy List, etc
* Resource friendly
* Non Ranked/Award based
* Fun

Reply #1 Posted: August 28, 2008, 04:17:20 pm
49 20 63 61 6e 20 72 65 6d 65 6d 62 65 72 20 77 68 65 6e 20 74 68 65 20 61 69 72 20 77 61 73 20 63 6c 65 61 6e 20 61 6e 64 20 73 65 78 20 77 61 73 20 64 69 72 74 79 2e

Offline Plasma

• Addicted
  • Plasma is working their way up.Plasma is working their way up.Plasma is working their way up.
See below

Quote from: Spigalau;784982
* Real Physics
* Large environments
* Resource friendly
* Non Ranked/Award based
* Fun

Reply #2 Posted: August 28, 2008, 04:37:28 pm

Offline Emrico1

• Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!
*fun

Reply #3 Posted: August 28, 2008, 04:49:19 pm

Codex

Quote from: Spigalau;784982
* Real Physics
* Large environments
* Resource friendly
* Non Ranked/Award based
* Fun

everything you said except the ranked part, i like playing with a goal, and awards are always a good challenge

also an aa gun that does its fucking job!

Reply #4 Posted: August 28, 2008, 04:49:39 pm

Offline sponge

• Devoted Member
  • sponge has no influence.
I like the idea of it being real, i have to refer to Crysis for this, there are so many different way to acheive your goal.
Lots of places to go, and things to do.
In terns of first person shooters i really want a game to be realistic with damage. e.g 1 shot from a pistol in the head should be a kill, and one shot in the leg should put you into a last stand like position.
I cannot stand the way it takes like 20 rounds form a "highly advanced submachine gun" to kill someone, cough* Crysis cough*

Reply #5 Posted: August 28, 2008, 05:21:22 pm

Offline Zhija

• Just settled in
Remember, this doesn't have to be just for an FPS, take single player games into account as well :).

Reply #6 Posted: August 28, 2008, 05:50:31 pm

Offline Sanzie99

• Just settled in
  • Sanzie99 has no influence.
FPS, Open Ended Environment (large scale maps, small are good sometimes too, lots of tress and shrubs to hide in, buildings as well), In-depth character and weapon customization (different armor suits, faces, skin colours, camo, scopes, silencers, ammo, nade launchers, etc, etc), Armor (tanks, APC's etc...) Good multi-player obviously, team work a must, ranks I suppose.

Realistic, like someone said a bullet to the head is a kill, couple of shots for body, this 10 shots to the body or head is silly. Real physics (no bunny hoping, etc, etc)

Modern or Future is good for me, no more WW2, maybe Vietnam.

Can't really think of to much more.

Reply #7 Posted: August 28, 2008, 06:37:52 pm
Steam ID: Sanzie99 | xfire ID: sanzie99 | Origin: Sanzie99

Offline brucewillis2

• Addicted
  • brucewillis2 has no influence.
easy... a good story. I haven't played one in ages. I remember playing soul reaver and that was a good story with character development. I need another game like that.

I enjoyed MGS4, now I need another.

Reply #8 Posted: August 28, 2008, 07:26:03 pm

Offline Zhija

• Just settled in
So far this has been pretty helpful towards our discussion, keep it coming guys :D.

Reply #9 Posted: August 28, 2008, 07:34:29 pm

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
take ww2ol

give it uber graphics

maybe make it modern day

and make it an RTS at the same time.

oh and a huge player base.

Reply #10 Posted: August 28, 2008, 07:47:58 pm
"We are the majority we arent the tards, the people we pick on are." -Luse_K

Offline qwerty4me

• Just settled in
  • qwerty4me has no influence.
I am looking for a game which is an exactly clone of Freelancer, but lots of people play it. Some updated graphics would be nice as well.

Reply #11 Posted: August 28, 2008, 08:37:56 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: brucewillis2;785119
easy... a good story. I haven't played one in ages. I remember playing soul reaver and that was a good story with character development. I need another game like that.

I enjoyed MGS4, now I need another.

You enjoyed playing a game for 4 hours 40 minutes?

Have to add 'short' to the list of requirements too then

Reply #12 Posted: August 29, 2008, 09:05:09 am
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline G0DZ1LA

• Devoted Member
  • G0DZ1LA has no influence.
19   63.33%
1   3.33%
15   50.00%
18   60.00%
5   16.67%
18   60.00%
8   26.67%
4   13.33%

how does that work?

Reply #13 Posted: August 29, 2008, 09:12:18 am

[BW] D3ADZ1LA.... G0DZ1LA was taken :(

Offline Zhija

• Just settled in
Multiple choice poll, notice how there are only 29 voters, but the first three equal over thirty votes.

Reply #14 Posted: August 29, 2008, 09:32:50 am

Offline Bell

• Addicted
  • Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.
What bounty said but i'll expand on it :P

1 Server 10000+ people.

1 Big map

Set in vietnam or modern day

Player progression (unlock new vehicles and player classes as you rank up)

Air/Land and Sea

The ability to spawn in as the unit you desire (eg you spawn as a jet you don't sit waiting for it to spawn on an airfield so you can run and jump into it)

Spawn Lists: A set number of units at each location (eg 10 F4 Phantoms per airbase that get refreshed every 2hours)

The ability to capture territory and set up defenses (deploy AI AA guns etc).

An advanced Squad/Unit system where you can set proper waypoints and communicate things on a tactical map.

Some sort of Command structure so at the high levels of the Command the players are basicly playing a RTS against the enemy Commanders (Think BF2 commander but with x10 the tactical options) units can only capture enemy towns if thier command has ordered it, this also makes sure the battles are more concentrated which would create epic battles.

I even wrote a Game Design Document for this game outlining how everything would work heh

Reply #15 Posted: August 29, 2008, 11:19:22 am

Offline Bell

• Addicted
  • Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.
Quote from: Zhija;784978
what the general public are after, and I decided that the best way to find out who's right would be to go right to the source of the best gamers

By the way... what the general public (casual gamers) want and what the people of iconz (hardcore gamers) want are entirely different.

Reply #16 Posted: August 29, 2008, 11:21:17 am

Offline mattnz

• mattnz is working their way up.mattnz is working their way up.mattnz is working their way up.
WOW-style would be reasonably fail for pings though, would it not. Netcode can only get you so far. Having different fronts might be good, so that you can play on a localish server, but the results affect the entire game world.

Reply #17 Posted: August 29, 2008, 11:24:23 am
Now that you have read this, plz give me neg rep :>

Offline Bell

• Addicted
Well america/europe could support 10k players, thier pings will be fine.
The Aus/NZ server might need to have a scaled down map to maybe hold 2000 players or something.

There are no WoW Oceanic HOSTED servers I believe. They are Oceanic only in name and hosted in the states.
There is the client side hit detection option, it works well for vehicular combat but is horrible for infantry play.

Having different fronts could be a good idea but it would sort of piss me off to be losing because the Euros aren't pulling thier weight. heh

Reply #18 Posted: August 29, 2008, 11:33:21 am

Offline mattnz

• mattnz is working their way up.mattnz is working their way up.mattnz is working their way up.
Yeah, I don't play WoW, so don't really know that much about it :)

Mmmmm, client side hit detection? Hackers getting 5000 headshots at once.

OFP2 is pretty similar to this idea I suppose, and is probably about as close we can get to this being implemented on todays technology.

Reply #19 Posted: August 29, 2008, 11:51:18 am

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.
Quote from: Bell;785497
There are no WoW Oceanic HOSTED servers I believe. They are Oceanic only in name and hosted in the states.

Correct. :(

There are so many different types of game that it's hard to say really. But the idea of a MMOFPS World War style game would be very fun. Even just being able to get online with some friends, create a squad and hold the line would be fun. Serious implications for deaths would be nice too. 5 min+ respawn timers or something along those lines. That would encourage people to actually take the game seriously.

Reply #20 Posted: August 29, 2008, 11:55:36 am

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.

Offline Bell

• Addicted
A game similar to what I just explained was made 8 years ago.
The problem with it is... it was made 8 years ago so the technology is too old to compete with todays games.

With all the huge MMOs out there supporting far over 10000 people on 1 server, and the games with really good gfx and huge view distances.
I believe this game can totally be made, the problem is companies aren't willing to risk the money to make it just yet, but someone eventually will.

Reply #21 Posted: August 29, 2008, 11:57:58 am

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
  • Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.
Something that doesn't allow people to hack or use macros, I.e. just play it as it is out of the box, so we can avoid arguments about the pros and cons etc and puts people pretty much on a level playing field (apart from cpu power)...

cheaters are beaters

Reply #22 Posted: August 29, 2008, 12:17:37 pm
Recycle your red poppies, paint them white, and wear them throughout the year.

Offline Bell

• Addicted
Play console? :P
Same CPU power too

Reply #23 Posted: August 29, 2008, 12:20:09 pm

Offline mattnz

Quote from: Ngati_Grim;785539
Something that doesn't allow people to hack or use macros, I.e. just play it as it is out of the box, so we can avoid arguments about the pros and cons etc and puts people pretty much on a level playing field (apart from cpu power)...

cheaters are beaters

There will be no practical way to do that without impacting on legitimate players.

Reply #24 Posted: August 29, 2008, 12:43:37 pm