Topic: Firefighter Sky Tower Stair Challenge Leukemia & Blood Foundation of NZ Fundraising

Offline Pitchey

• Addicted
  • Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!
Well, that sucked arse big time! Don't get me wrong, the fundraising went great with a total of $477,851 being raised.

But, at Wednesday nights training, I started to feel a bit under the weather. "Just a sniffle" thinks I.

Early Thursday morning we set off on the long drive to Auckland, still feeling a bit naff, stay the night at a mates place but am rapidly starting to feel like crap, cue a drive to the 24hr Quacks.

"Well" says the nurse (who was old enough to be my mom, wheres all the hotties? Very disappoint!) "It's no wonder you feel ill, you have a temperature of 38.5!"

"Ahhhh" thinks I, "thats not a good sign".

Indeed it was not as the Indian Doctor (nice chap but I've no idea how to pronounce his name) explained to me.

"You have got an infection in your left hand tonsil."

At this stage I'm envisaging surgery, ice cream and several young nurses flitting about my room, wishful thinking on my part as it turned out.

"You cannot be working for a couple of days and I will prescribe you some treatments."

"Say what? I gotta climb the bloody sky tower on Saturday mate!"

Anyhoo, $100 lighter but with 4 different types of pills/tablets/capsules in a nice brown paper bag later and it's back to my mates place, load up with drugs and straight to bed.

Friday we transferred to the hotel and I just went straight to bed, knackered. Not happy!

Saturday, climb day, the bed sheets are damp from where I've been sweating into them, not from being with nurses, or even the dreams of nurses unfortunately.

Still feeling like crap but I thought "What would Space Monkey do?"

After reconsidering the poo flinging approach I decided "Fuck you fever and fuck you tonsils I'm doing this" and managed to have a shave and get kitted out.

After listening to the briefing at the base of the tower "Is there any medical or health condition we need to be aware of?" *Coff Coff* it was on, however I quickly hit the wall and, bastard that it is, it was bigger and heavier than me.

I could do about 2 floors before having to have a stop and I was sweating a river.

However I'd told myself that I was going to complete the climb no matter what and so that's what I did, in the most horrendous floor by floor crawl that I'd ever envisaged to give myself a shocker of 1hour and 6 minutes climb time.

What pissed me off was that with all the training I'd been doing I was going to be looking at a sub 19 minute climb!

Ffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, thanks for all your support folks, you've done really well.

Hopefully next year I won't get crook and there will be some attractive nurses around for me to...... explore Auckland with?

Here's a pic of me coming over the line, feeling like a stunned mullet, the BA mask hanging on my chest is awash with sweat, yuk.

http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/2713/94281710151913023748047.jpg
Firefighter Sky Tower Stair Challenge Leukemia & Blood Foundation of NZ Fundraising

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Time for more drugs.

Whoops, and a video made by a mate of mine:

Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 02:07:40 pm by Pitchey

Reply #25 Posted: May 13, 2013, 09:02:10 pm

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

• Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!
GW Pitchey.

Most of us would have bailed.

Reply #26 Posted: May 13, 2013, 09:14:32 pm

Offline toofast

• Addicted
  • toofast barely matters.toofast barely matters.
Glad to hear you finished it.

Reply #27 Posted: May 13, 2013, 10:11:09 pm

Offline Craigor

• Administrator
  • Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!
Amazing effort for being that sick

Reply #28 Posted: May 13, 2013, 11:47:54 pm
<a href="steam://friends/add/76561197966242864/">Add me to Steam</a> <- Fixed! lol

Offline private_hell

• Addicted
  • private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.
bet you would have got up there faster if there were some hot nurses at the top :)

glad you made it to the top pitchey

Reply #29 Posted: May 14, 2013, 08:38:02 am
"Let him who desires peace prepare for war" - Flavius Vegetius Renatus (375AD) De Rei Militari

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Good work making it to the top, and get well soon.

Reply #30 Posted: May 14, 2013, 08:51:21 am

Offline BerG

• Terminator

• BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.
Imagine if out of sheer coincidence the top of the sky tower caught on fire that day.

If its ever going to do it, it would have been the ideal time. Or if its thinking of doing it, hopefully its soon while the firefighters are all so fit.

Soon they will be fat again.

Reply #31 Posted: May 14, 2013, 09:03:24 am

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
Legend.

I will do this one day, when I'm a fire truck.

Reply #32 Posted: May 14, 2013, 09:04:32 am
"We are the majority we arent the tards, the people we pick on are." -Luse_K